Black angus bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you believe all the benefits of age and source verified cattle being worth more to the producer, then having an angus sourced tag animal should bring more than a non angus source animal of the same quality. I think this is often overlooked whan evaluating whether or not to go with the angus sourced program.

M.Sarria":12xosd2r said:
KMacGinley":12xosd2r said:
M.Sarria":12xosd2r said:
KMacGinley":12xosd2r said:
I think that you should find a different bull and maybe spend a little money to do it.

He isn't real masculine, He doesn't exhibit much muscle. Better luck next time. :)

Yes I am sure you can spend more money if you have it to spend put I only have 5 cows?? and the neighbor that bout that bull just paid $1600.00 from a well non black Angus breeder here in Washington so thats more then I well ever spend on a bull so I think that he well work for me for now. He is 2 years 2 month old I think he will fill out?

Since you put the other picture on there, I take back what I said. He is obviously very masculine and one of the heaviest muscled bulls I have seen. Oh and since your neighbor paid $1600 for him from a well known Washington breeder, he must be good. I am sure that by the time he is 10 or so he will be completely filled out.

Why did you post the picture? You get defensive when people tell you the truth. I assume that you thought this was a fine example of bulldom of whatever breed (Mike C) and wanted to get patted on the back.

If you only have 5 cows, don't you want your 5 cows to have calves better than them? If so, continue to AI or find somebody that knows something and go out and buy a good bull.

If not, save one of your bull calves and use him as a cow freshener or keep borrowing this one.

??????

That is the part that cracked me up. I would like to know the name of this reputable breeder.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38406

M.Sarria":19ud38l4 said:
He is a registered Black Angus bull!!

If you have read some of what I recently wrote, you would understand that just because a bull is registered ... that does not make him a quality animal.

In my opinion, less than 10% of what is out there - any breed - on the market deserves to be called a breeder.

Papers are good for very few things. But, you can line the bottom of the bird cage with them if necessary.

It is truly unfortunate that there are so many people that would believe a registered animal is the be all and the end all. A truly honourable breeder will not sell you an animal if it does not fit into your program. This type of breeder is more interested in your return business.

Therefore that breeder is truly concerned about the product he / she puts out.

A poor, but reasonable analogy is to look at puppy breeding mills and compare them to reputable dog breeders.

The mill operator simply wants to sell dogs. VOLUME!

The breeder wants to improve the breed and make money selling animals that the buyer will not only like, but will come back for more. RETURN BUSINESS!

So you will learn - registered schmegistered. Quality is not guaranteed by paper. Never has been and never will be.

Consider it a learning experience and move on. We have all made mistakes and we will all continue to do so - it is what we learn and how we apply that knowledge that is important.

Bez+

Alan":1ie2g7a2 said:
Bad morning? :D I thinks she got some good advice and truthful answers.

Alan

Did you read the whole thread, are you quoting me, or just looking for a cheap shot?

Great morning/afternoon by the way, just got enough second cut clover mowed to get all my feeders through the winter.

ALX

Bez+":3u0wcydp said:
In my opinion, less than 10% of what is out there - any breed - on the market deserves to be called a breeder.
Bez+

This thread wouldn't have panned out if it was a poor herf or charl or especially longhorn or brahman.

Give the small yappy dogs any chance, even on the beginners board, and away we go knocking BA.

2 photo's and we want to lynch a breeder.

Amazing.

ALX

AngusLimoX":1hy1csvd said:
Bez+":1hy1csvd said:
Bez+

This thread wouldn't have panned out if it was a poor herf or charl or especially longhorn or brahman.

Give the small yappy dogs any chance, even on the beginners board, and away we go knocking BA.

Amazing.

ALX

ALX, the same thing happened in this thread as in most that a certain duo get into their normal off subject BS/BASH session

C HOLLAND":1ydskkqi said:
AngusLimoX":1ydskkqi said:
Bez+":1ydskkqi said:
Bez+

Amazing.

ALX

ALX, the same thing happened in this thread as in most that a certain duo get into their normal off subject BS/BASH session

Well, in event you folks want to include me in the bashing - I figure I provided some reasonable comments that appear to have lit a fuse - so I figure I will go away.

Not worth the trouble.

Bez+

Bez+":10rkit1t said:
C HOLLAND":10rkit1t said:
AngusLimoX":10rkit1t said:
Bez+":10rkit1t said:
Bez+

Amazing.

ALX

Well, in event you folks want to include me in the bashing - I figure I provided some reasonable comments that appear to have lit a fuse - so I figure I will go away.

Not worth the trouble.

Bez+

Bez, not at all, I wasn't referring to anything you had to say.

Breed aside.... goals for the bull aside.... since we don't have facts about either.

That is an average bull by all standards... wether for raising offspring or for just meat. There are definatley better out there to be had for the same amount of money. PERIOD.

M.Sarria":mbbyw9xs said:
He is a registered Black Angus bull!!

Now we are back to does someone need to say what the breed standards are like the associations?

No offense to you Sarria, just going off another post that seems to have some conflict.

As I stated before, if you want just 5 cows and some calves and no more he's okay. But he's not a good Black Angus bull.

Alan

Bez is too generous with his 10%. 5% would be a better figure., and that applys to both genders.

dun":1q2z9pmy said:
Bez is too generous with his 10%. 5% would be a better figure., and that applys to both genders.

Bez got in the Agitated Loser's Crosshairs and was asked to leave the room.

baxterblack":38ztm5tr said:
Unfortunately my friend this bull is not what one would want to be starting a herd with in my opinion. After all a bull is 50% of your herd and this bull just does not cut the mustard. Sorry!

Is this the real Baxter Black that we see on TV? COOL

As for the bull, about all he is good for is to give you a calf. Now is the time for step two and buy another bull and improve that calf crop.

dun":3nl7y2tf said:

But jeepers dun, then folks would have to go outside their herd for replacements??

ALX.":393qjuuz said:
dun":393qjuuz said:

But jeepers dun, then folks would have to go outside their herd for replacements??

Most of us probably should anyway. And those that are breeding up probably shouldn't be keeping every heifer, but only percentage of their crop as dun mentioned.

We just hauled the best looking heifer from the spring crop to the sale barn. She was out of one of my best cows. But she bloated when young and after weaning was starting to on hay and small amount of feed.

Forgot who said it before on here, but you should look hard for a reason to cull them and only keep the ones that you can not find a reason to get rid of after looking long and hard.

aplusmnt":3n61nu3n said:
Forgot who said it before on here, but you should look hard for a reason to cull them and only keep the ones that you can not find a reason to get rid of after looking long and hard.

Dun said he would only keep something he would consider buying. I'll go with that.

A lot of the rest of the stuff said is trash. Excellent culling advice can be found in magazine articles anywhere, where authors, who really exist, sign their names.

And truthfully, if you can manage that, did you really forget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts