Black Angus bull/Red Angus heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

What Randi said...it all depends on the genetic makeup of the two, but black is dominant.

cattlepower":gbwkpxbt said:
If you put a Black Angus bull on Red Angus heifer will you get black calves mostly?

Yes, I don't believe I've ever had a red calf from a purebred Black Angus bull on red angus cows.

Busterz":3mcz3e3r said:
Another question, do you get any heterosis from crossing a black angus and a red angus?

I would think that it would depend on the bulls EPD's. Was told that a pure blood bull crossed to say an F1 would produce the most heterosis.

Busterz":e200ue7s said:
Another question, do you get any heterosis from crossing a black angus and a red angus?
If the bull is heterozygous black you get get I think it's 25% red calves, if he's homozygous they'll all be black.

No heterosis when crossing red and black. If you had a line bred Red Angus and a line bred black Angus there may be some, but no more then crossing 2 line bred lines of Herefords, or 2 lines of line bred angus for that matter.
A couple of years ago I asked the same question of the geneticists at Red Angus and black Angus and that was the answer they gave me.

dun":8fscj2qz said:
Busterz":8fscj2qz said:
If the bull is heterozygous black you get get I think it's 25% red calves, if he's homozygous they'll all be black.

No heterosis when crossing red and black. If you had a line bred Red Angus and a line bred black Angus there may be some, but no more then crossing 2 line bred lines of Herefords, or 2 lines of line bred angus for that matter.
A couple of years ago I asked the same question of the geneticists at Red Angus and black Angus and that was the answer they gave me.

Dun, it is 50% red calves out of a hetero bull bred to red cows.

randiliana":2gwi5ovz said:
dun":2gwi5ovz said:
Busterz":2gwi5ovz said:

Those percentages always screw me up. My feeble mind gets tricked by the higher math.

dun":2yx43at3 said:
randiliana":2yx43at3 said:

Those percentages always screw me up. My feeble mind gets tricked by the higher math.

Yes, I have seen how feeble your mind is many times ;-) . I can figure these genetic percentages with no problems, but give me any other equation, and I'm at a loss :frowns:

Latest posts