Black Angus Bull on Beefmaster cows

Help Support CattleToday:

scott --- Starting way back in the 1930's with Tom Lasater's work up to, say around 1990, were there any noteworthy genetically mutated "black Beefmaster" bulls or cows. Or have those black color genetic mutations only ocurred in the last 10 years or so? ;-) And is the "genetic mutation" of black color passed on to the progeny with frequency?

az if theres any angus blood in the black beefmasters.i sure dont know about it.i know that steve emmons hasnt never said theres angus in them to get the black gene in them.i know he is very knowlageable in the beefmasters.scott

I truly believe that some black blood was added to get the color-the three breeds used to make up the Beefmaster breed do not throw black calves. We never had a black one show up in our herd nor did anyone else that I know who raises them. I know a guy who has a purebred herd of Beefmasters and he was tired of getting docked for the ear and some paints that would crop up in his calves so he went and bought a black Angus bull to breed the cows to. Well, the first black calves hit the ground and he was not really pleased, they were kind of small and he didn't have the weaning weights that he was used to getting from the straight Beefmasters so he sold the Angus bull. When he sold his black cross calves he was amazed at what they brought so he's now gone back to get another black bull to breed the cows to.

bigbull338":384awibu said:
the black color in the beefmaster is a gene mutation.as far as i know theres no angus blood in beefmasters.right now people want the black beefmasters.an they pay high prices for them.the man im doing business with breeds the black bulls to red cows.an gets half black calves.scott
Come on scott. Wake up and smell the coffee. Or Whiskey. Don't believe everything the promoters tell you.

bigbull338":32s9bcoa said:
az if theres any angus blood in the black beefmasters.i sure dont know about it.i know that steve emmons hasnt never said theres angus in them to get the black gene in them.i know he is very knowlageable in the beefmasters.scott
scott., you wouldn't know. You aren't on the inside. Steve Emmons doesn't have to tell you everything that he knows.

bigbull338":1m48t3eu said:

All of the black bulls came out of the grading up program .

la4angus":2mlph52v said:
bigbull338":2mlph52v said:
scott., you wouldn't know. You aren't on the inside. Steve Emmons doesn't have to tell you everything that he knows.

Now La what you think Bramers is gray Herefords are red and Shorthorns are painted, Angus are Black. My money is on an Angus in the woodpile.

Caustic Burno":70ms5n6j said:
la4angus":70ms5n6j said:
bigbull338":70ms5n6j said:

Now La what you think Bramers is gray Herefords are red and Shorthorns are painted, Angus are Black. My money is on an Angus in the woodpile.
Yep, Caustic. My money is on a bunch of Angus in the woodpile. To many black beefmasters showing up all of a sudden to be a Genetic Mutation that has never showed up in any of the parent breeds in history until the beefmaster breeders decided they Wannabe Black. You think old bigbull Scott may show ths to Steve Emmons and see what his comments will be. I would like to have it taped and watch him squirm.

has anyone used a half beefmaster half angus bull. a guy that lives up the road has beefmaster cows with an angus bull. calves sale great. and luck great. hefeirs sale for more then his steers.

trin":ajifwka3 said:
has anyone used a half beefmaster half angus bull. a guy that lives up the road has beefmaster cows with an angus bull. calves sale great. and luck great. hefeirs sale for more then his steers.

Hey Trin, be careful. Just the mere thought of me doing that got me flogged about a week ago. Ofcourse, the beefmaster that I have does have a questionable background, but she looks real nice and as far as I can tell she is a commercial beefmaster. I can send you a pic of what the calf would look like, because I have a black one on the ground now. Nice looking little fellow.

Do all the black mt. lions,black leopards,and the rest of the black cats that aren't normally black [bred in all the game zoos across the country] have angus blood?Do the white tigers have Char blood ? I believe there is probably angus somewhere in MOST breeds that have gone black,but I believe there are instances in nature that people take advantage of to breed some special something. Just something to ponder.

i remember when the beefmaster said color didn't matter they had other criteria to grade by. size, depth, etc.......

jcarkie":zizuguxa said:
i remember when the beefmaster said color didn't matter they had other criteria to grade by. size, depth, etc.......

Then that color started bringing 20 cents per pound more. Funny how quick things can change.

My view on the subject is that the commercial cattlemen really are the backbone of the cattle industry. The purebred breeders are giving seedstock. So if the commercial start to buy black, then seedstock find ways to make black. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, just my opinion. Take Charolais for example: the white is a diluter, so if you use a charolais bull, you will not have black calves with black cows. You'll have shades of gray. So now we hear that there are black charolais bulls. Maybe caustic's right. All of the breeds are going behind the same woodshed. I'm not sure, but in the last 10 to 20 years it's amazing how many previously bible toting breeds have gone black.

Turkey Run":1etebfo6 said:
Do all the black mt. lions,black leopards,and the rest of the black cats that aren't normally black [bred in all the game zoos across the country] have angus blood?Do the white tigers have Char blood ? I believe there is probably angus somewhere in MOST breeds that have gone black,but I believe there are instances in nature that people take advantage of to breed some special something. Just something to ponder.

Wow Darwin would be impressed all this mutant and evolution in twenty years without outside influence in so many breeds.

I can only think of Dexters,and Corinets that are Black both are horned neither of these would really put a lot of pounds in them black Limms,Simms and etc. Kinda just leaves Angus.

cypressfarms":2ti1pt7q said:
trin":2ti1pt7q said:

Hey Trin, be careful. Just the mere thought of me doing that got me flogged about a week ago. Ofcourse, the beefmaster that I have does have a questionable background, but she looks real nice and as far as I can tell she is a commercial beefmaster. I can send you a pic of what the calf would look like, because I have a black one on the ground now. Nice looking little fellow.
like to see the pictures. want to get a crossbreed program started. thinking of using braunvieh beefmaster and maybe angus.

Trin,

Here's a bull calf sired by a registered angus bull and moma is a commercial beefmaster(as best as we can guess)

rednfred.jpg

fredheadavatar.jpg

Latest posts