Black Angus bull crossed with a Holstein cow

Help Support CattleToday:

cow/calf

Reaction score
I was looking at our small commercial beef herd this morning and noticed a beautiful 5-month-old bull calf. Long legs, beautifully muscled body, and straight-back. He would make a nice bull but of course, unproven. Father= Black Angus, mother= Holstein, The bull calf is black and no signs of horns. If he is mated to a black Angus what would his offspring look like? We have to get rid of our existing bull who had good EPDs. Thanks for your thoughts.

cow/calf":1esg0tki said:
I was looking at our small commercial beef herd this morning and noticed a beautiful 5-month-old bull calf. Long legs, beautifully muscled body, and straight-back. He would make a nice bull but of course, unproven. Father= Black Angus, mother= Holstein, The bull calf is black and no signs of horns. If he is mated to a black Angus what would his offspring look like? We have to get rid of our existing bull who had good EPDs. Thanks for your thoughts.

Get another real Angus your opening Pandora's box with the bull you want to keep.
He should be hamburger.

You asked what his offspring would be like if you used him on Angus cows. They'd probably be black. Other than that, it's a roll of the dice.

Go get yourself a good Sim bull. Our herd improved greatly when we started using Simmis

Agree with everyone else ... get yourself another Angus or other purebred bull. You don't know what you'll get from this crossbred bull, but there will certainly be some dairy influence in his calves. This 5-month-old would make a great steer for locker beef. Angus x Holstein can make excellent beef. I'd get him castrated ASAP.

cow/calf":3c9lbahp said:
I was looking at our small commercial beef herd this morning and noticed a beautiful 5-month-old bull calf.
Long legs, beautifully muscled body, and straight-back.... Father= Black Angus, mother= Holstein,
The bull calf is black and no signs of horns. If he is mated to a black Angus what would his offspring look like?
Angus x Holstein calves make decent feeder cattle.
When young, under 400 lbs they can fool many into thinking they are more than 1/2 angus.
As they age their frame becomes more apparent and they grow taller and narrower than true beef cattle.
In the feedlot their feed efficiency is a big improvement compared to pure holsteins, but will still lag angus.
As fed cattle they never ring the bell, but they do bring a premium over holsteins.

If you use him on black angus cows, 3/4 angus 1/4 holstein calves will be big, black, polled and fast growing, especially if you creep feed. At 500 lbs many will be tricked into thinking they are really going to perform in the feedlot. You will do well selling them as feeders, but the buyers will be scratching their heads when they reach 900 lbs and their expectations are lowered. IF you keep replacements you will be happy with them as first calf heifers raising big calves, but as they age they will be mostly hard doers, if you keep good records you'll see your herd lagging and bigger feed bills.

In my opinion: do yourself a favor, spend the money on a new bull and stick with buying a purebred beef bull of your choice based on achieving whatever goals you may have.

Latest posts