Black Angus and Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

I have both Hereford Cows and Black Angus Cows and currently using a Hereford Bull. The Angus Hereford cross is a good one. The Baldie calves come out ready to get up and nurse but I have some Hereford calves that do the same way. Both are good cattle and I agree that you can cross or go purbred. The Black Baldie calves bring more than the straighbred Herefords at my local salebarn because of the black color. There are some very good Hereford calves around and I don't think anything is as pretty as a newborn Hereford calf. To me a Hereford cow that milks is as good as anything and you will like the disposition. Of course there are bad ones in every breed but for the most part the Herefords don't seem to give much problem. After my next breeding season I will probably go with a Balancer Bull just to get a little tick of extra growth. Whatever you do find what you like and stay the course.

What seems to better? Angus bull on Hereford cows or Hereford bull on Angus cows? Will either way produce baldies?

tncattle":19oxw9os said:
What seems to better? Angus bull on Hereford cows or Hereford bull on Angus cows? Will either way produce baldies?
Neither is better.
Yes

dun":ffvcujee said:
tncattle":ffvcujee said:
Neither is better.
Yes
Thanks Dun.

One more ? I've slaughtered Limis and pure Angus for freezer beef to sell and was happy with both. Can I expect any big differences with Hereford & Angus X?

tncattle":1vv0mhqk said:
I've slaughtered Limis and pure Angus for freezer beef to sell and was happy with both. Can I expect any big differences with Hereford & Angus X?

The geetics may make a difference but the feeding will make a bigger one

Thats a black Baldie, But Keep the Hereford and drop the Angus, Heat on the east coast will drive the weights down at weaning, My opinion go with a Brangus or Homozygous black beefmaster to give them some hardiness. cross the the sale barn loves black hide. White faced calves do great at the sale barn.

Latest posts