BK9954 or other pig producers

Help Support CattleToday:

14 Hog Low $ 38.00 High $ 64.00 Avg $ 55.29

that's what one of our barns did they didn't sell any at the one I usually go too to give updated info. private sale is normally 1.00 per lb and if they hire you to dress it about 50-75 more

$15-25 for weaners
$40-50 for feeders
$.55-.68 for live hogs
$.67 .75" back fat 210# carcass
$175 240# pink breeding gilts
$150 240# marked breeding gilts

skyhightree1":3jfx3v7z said:
RanchMan90":3jfx3v7z said:
https://texaspork.org/market-report/

Thanks.. Yall stop selling pigs in April ?
That's the latest report I could find find. Prices still similar. I've put them on the back burner til I can find a niche market for them.

Nice... I truly do not want to keep hogs all year round but may have an opportunity to raise them for a local BBQ restaurant and would need too. Main problem I am facing is not just the quantity but the pricing they want to pay. I am trying to figure pricing and see if I can come to a middle ground. I have no issues selling the ones I buy and raise for private sales. I do not want the additional work to keep them year round and if I do that it has to be worth my while.

Last ones I bought were averaging in the high .50's. I have am trying to get into meat market here, a lot of Mexicans buy half hogs, not whole. I just need to sell the other half. I need to beat the meat market price. Lots of taco trucks and taqeria's. If I don't do private sales and only sell at the auction it's pennies on the dollar after fuel and commissions.

If I hadn't torn the old barn down that had the pens in I'd be raising Berkshires and selling to the yuppy restaurants in the city. You already know they'll pay thru the nose for all natural tagged stuff. Friend does it and swears it pays really well.

slick4591":3t6etkwj said:
If I hadn't torn the old barn down that had the pens in I'd be raising Berkshires and selling to the yuppy restaurants in the city. You already know they'll pay thru the nose for all natural tagged stuff. Friend does it and swears it pays really well.

They will pay

BK9954":3t6etkwj said:
Last ones I bought were averaging in the high .50's. I have am trying to get into meat market here, a lot of Mexicans buy half hogs, not whole. I just need to sell the other half. I need to beat the meat market price. Lots of taco trucks and taqeria's. If I don't do private sales and only sell at the auction it's pennies on the dollar after fuel and commissions.

Bk we talked before about the private sales I do where they can pick their own hog and process it themselves or I deliver to the butcher. I do not do halves especially on a hog they are not that huge like a beef and I don't want to have to store or find an additional person to take the half. I escape alot of rules by selling the live animal then if they need help processing them they can pay me as a person to help them clean THEIR pig. I rarely do that because most people process their own I provide scald tanks and places to hang and a table for cutting their meat on.

skyhightree1":8mnt4s30 said:
slick4591":8mnt4s30 said:

They will pay

BK9954":8mnt4s30 said:

Bk we talked before about the private sales I do where they can pick their own hog and process it themselves or I deliver to the butcher. I do not do halves especially on a hog they are not that huge like a beef and I don't want to have to store or find an additional person to take the half. I escape alot of rules by selling the live animal then if they need help processing them they can pay me as a person to help them clean THEIR pig. I rarely do that because most people process their own I provide scald tanks and places to hang and a table for cutting their meat on.

When you sell, what are the weights on the hogs, at that point?

Workinonit Farm":1laalsvi said:
skyhightree1":1laalsvi said:
slick4591":1laalsvi said:

They will pay

BK9954":1laalsvi said:

I will sell 50#lbs up to a 700lb boars... If the question was for me. If not I apologize

skyhightree1":1h492eey said:
Workinonit Farm":1h492eey said:

I will sell 50#lbs up to a 700lb boars... If the question was for me. If not I apologize

Yes, the question was for you. :) How many of your 'customers', who want a killing hog, want 50 lb and 700 lb?

In the past, most people I sold to, wanted 350 to 400 lb. A few preferred 200 to 250 lb. I had a few buy some in the 60 to 80 lb range, for pig roasts, the preference being 70 lb.

Workinonit Farm":3sw5vp84 said:
skyhightree1":3sw5vp84 said:
Workinonit Farm":3sw5vp84 said:

Yes, the question was for you. :) How many of your 'customers', who want a killing hog, want 50 lb and 700 lb?

In the past, most people I sold to, wanted 350 to 400 lb. A few preferred 200 to 250 lb. I had a few buy some in the 60 to 80 lb range, for pig roasts, the preference being 70 lb.

I'd say 40-50 were roasters 75+120 lbs I have a bunch of people that get 1 for memorial day the 4th and labor day

Curious where is there a barn in Texas that sells pigs? I have seen goats, sheep, exotics, cattle and horses but never pigs.