Bits

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, rawhide bosal covered with latigo leather and fiador to adjust how it hangs
Mostly it's just when in the heat of the moment he goes into chase mode when he gets after cattle and loses his focus on me
I'm thinking a bit for a little more control and some poll pressure to lower his head into the stop

try the last bit that I posted. I would work him several days to a week to get him used to it before trying him on cattle with it.

I have had good results using side pull for starting horses. You can see-saw it and get the nose a bit tender. That helps to get ones attention.
The bosal is used when they are shown.

Is this your grey horse? I like him very much.

Put 4 days in a row on him and it seems to be soaking in, but now it'll be a week or so before I can get back to him

Using a hackamore would be a great choice at first. Although, if you are absolutely certain a bit would be best, might you consider using a snaffle at first. A snaffle bit has reins directly connected to the rings to the rider's hand. This provides no leverage action and is a good choice for a horse that needs to get used to a mouthpiece. Keep in mind that any bit can be harsh or mild depending on the quietness of the rider's hands.

Check out our blog at breechesdotcom -
Types-of-horse-bits-guide-for-equestrian

As a few users already mentioned, a hackamore may do the trick. If a bit ends up to be necessary, starting out with a snaffle bit may be a good idea. Working up to a leverage bit may be a safer choice than going from a bosal straight to a curb. Make sure you are aware of what your horse is comfortable with.

Latest posts