Bitless Bridle

Help Support CattleToday:

they are not very good, because they're not subtle enough. i've only used it on one horse because it would always put it's tongue over the bit.

it only helps in situations where the horse in unable to take a bit (extremely sensitive, ...) or just plainly doesn't accept one.

[email protected]

> they are not very good, because
> they're not subtle enough. i've
> only used it on one horse because
> it would always put it's tongue
> over the bit.

> it only helps in situations where
> the horse in unable to take a bit
> (extremely sensitive, ...) or just
> plainly doesn't accept one.

Hi,

I'm afraid that I beg to differ on this point. Depending upon the type of bitless bridle used, the riding situation, and the particular horse it's being used on, it can be very effective. I've broke and started all my colts using halters or bosels, and only transition them to a bit once they understand leg pressure basics in the round pen. Frankly, I stay out of their mouths as much as possible only utilizing pressure to collect them and set their head or for flexing/bending exercises. I realize that not every riding type utilizes this "off the bit" style and in that event, I would question their effectiveness. So I'm not sure that a general statement regarding their effectiveness can be made here, as each horse and rider bring their unique experiences and styles to the arena or trail. Any change in bit should be handled with caution and care as it's new to the horse as well as you and will most likely require an adjustment peroid or some "work" in order for the both of you to get the "hang" of the new bit.

My suggestion would be to ask someone that has a hackamore or bosel if you could borrow it for a while to try it, keeping in mind that you'll both have an adjustment period before it's effectiveness in your situation on your horse can be determined. Good Luck!

~T

[email protected]

you misunderstood me, i do teach them to take the bit not using a metal one but a polyethane tiedemann bit. they are softer and heavier, so i don't need to apply any pressure and the bit pressure is present but constant. easier to learn.

i teach them to accept and react to the legpressure on the fields, so they can go anywhere they want, but go. in my expêrience they get a litle nervous in the round pen, and that makes them think more about being confined then about the pressure applied.

the one i used was a hackamore as well, but i woulsd never use it again if it's not absolutley necessary.

i've seen to many young riders use a hackamore, and get so brutal in the mouth later, when they use a normal bit, that i generally just say no, whenever anybody asks about it.

[email protected]

> you misunderstood me, i do teach
> them to take the bit not using a
> metal one but a polyethane
> tiedemann bit. they are softer and
> heavier, so i don't need to apply
> any pressure and the bit pressure
> is present but constant. easier to
> learn.

> i teach them to accept and react
> to the legpressure on the fields,
> so they can go anywhere they want,
> but go. in my expêrience they get
> a litle nervous in the round pen,
> and that makes them think more
> about being confined then about
> the pressure applied.

> the one i used was a hackamore as
> well, but i woulsd never use it
> again if it's not absolutley
> necessary.

> i've seen to many young riders use
> a hackamore, and get so brutal in
> the mouth later, when they use a
> normal bit, that i generally just
> say no, whenever anybody asks
> about it.

Hi Mike,

I'm with ya. My point was that on the right horse, utilizing the right "hands" they can be very effective. They're definitley not for the inexperienced horseperson, nor are they for a horse that has a tendencey to run through a bit. Of course, I forgot to add the sentence that although I begin all my colts under saddle with a halter or a bosel and move them to a bit once I've got a handle on them, any one of them has been able to transition back to a bosel or hackamore at any time. Some even prefer it and are just as well mannered.

Funny how yours are more concerned about being confined in the round pen vs out in the field. I've found just the opposite to be true about mine. Of course, my round pen isn't totally enclosed, and they have the view of other horses as well as the pastures. I've found that their attention is on everything else but me when not started in the round pen, but then again, we start in the round pen way before the saddle is introduced so once it is, it's just one new thing in an already familiar situation. Same goes for introducing a bit. It's just one more stepping stone in which to build upon in an already new situation, and as all the colts I've started have been halter broke, its familiar pressure on their face in light of the newness of the saddle and a rider.

Once I have a handle on them though, I'm with ya again, and it's out to the pasture or the trails in the company of an experienced horse....mostly for moral support. :) Not sure if it's for them or me, but it seems to work!

Happy Trails! ~T

[email protected]

It depends on which horse I'm riding to whether use a bitless bridle. Some horses are excellent with them and others don't work well in one. If you got a hot headed horse that is heavy on the bridle, I wouldn't suggest using one.

I only use a Full Cheek Snaffle for everything which works on the side of the mouth- not in the mouth. I work with the horse for about 15 mins. on giving to the bit from each side then across the horse working on the other side so the horse doesn't give to the side I am on. The horse goes away from the presure because it doesn't like presure and I have full control with the horse with little time spent and no misunderstanding on the part of the horse as of what to do. Bits do not train horses.

[email protected]

I agree with T1 Ranch, I start my horses in a half breed side pull. It teaches them what they need to learn with pulling on their mouths. Horses loose their baby teeth and get adult teeth between their 3-4 yrs and having a bit in there is extremely uncomfortable. Once my horses are able to move off on cue, stop, neck rein, and side pass in the half breed side pull, I transition to a tom thumb with shanks when they are in their mid to late 4th yr. Long story short any type of bitless bridle is a great training starter especially if you tend to have hard hands.

cowman":26z37j5s said:
Saw something about a bitless bridle.Are they any good?Thanks

That depends entirely on the horse, his/her temperament, rider, and the level of experience and knowledge of both. Some horses are great with a hackamore/bosal, and some are a wreck waiting to happen.

Are you talking about the Dr. Cook's Bitless Bridle?

http://www.bitlessbridle.com/

I have some endurance friends who have used it and went back to snaffle bits. It works by causing poll pressure and pressure under the jaw.

One girl's horse accidently stepped on the reins. The horse threw it's head up and the bridle really messed up the horse's poll. She couldn't even put a halter on him because it was so tender and swollen.

Some people like them, some don't. I've never used one. A side pull or bosal works for us.

I never put a bit on my first horse. I used a little bitless bridle that had some rawhide knots on the nose band. She always did well with it and I never had a problem. That last year I got a different one without the knots and she still did fine.

Latest posts