Bitless Bridle

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I know this should go in the horse section, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there.

Anyone have any recommendations for bitless bridles? I've never used one and have been looking at them a bit, mainly just for trail riding and letting folks with no horse experience use on my horse. It's hard for the latter to understand just how little pressure is needed to control.

Thanks.

A hackamore is actually pretty rough stuff. Just a bosal or a halter......different story. If you want something gentle on your horse's face, and they really are broke enough for limited experience riders, some sort of broken snaffle will keep compounding leverage out of the equation.
If you want to break them of snatching their faces up and hollering woah all the time, put em on a good calf horse for 13 seconds.

Farm Fence Solutions":1jcikdi9 said:
A hackamore is actually pretty rough stuff. Just a bosal or a halter......different story. If you want something gentle on your horse's face, and they really are broke enough for limited experience riders, some sort of broken snaffle will keep compounding leverage out of the equation.

He'll do whatever I ask with a piece of baling twine hooked to his halter, can even ride him around the lot bareback with nothing other than leg/seat cues. Hard to get that through someone's head that's never rode a horse, though.

If you want to break them of snatching their faces up and hollering woah all the time, put em on a good calf horse for 13 seconds.

That would be entertaining.

ALACOWMAN":2yl34qyn said:
My calf horse ""hated""a hackamore.i thought he would like it better then the Rutledge.. But he worked best in it..if one got a good handle on him a bosal should work well,I've got a woahmaker too ,simular to this..https://www.google.com/search?q=bosel+w ... FRPQR2RnpM:

I've got a bosal and he does fine with it, I'm just not keen on the huge rope reins and how they're attached at the bottom. Seems way too heavy to me.

cfpinz":1zxs1khw said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1zxs1khw said:

He'll do whatever I ask with a piece of baling twine hooked to his halter, can even ride him around the lot bareback with nothing other than leg/seat cues. Hard to get that through someone's head that's never rode a horse, though.

That would be entertaining.

I worked for one of the great calf horse trainers of all time, and one of my jobs was to essientally unbreak good horses when a high schooler was coming to try one. (You have to embrace them jobs that you're good at, even if it stings a little when you figure out why you got picked) Especially the breakaway ropers. Just had to waller one half to death in the box and just keep pricking with them until they couldn't take it anymore. Wiggled my azz more than I liked some days. lol

cfpinz":34ohr77h said:
ALACOWMAN":34ohr77h said:
My calf horse ""hated""a hackamore.i thought he would like it better then the Rutledge.. But he worked best in it..if one got a good handle on him a bosal should work well,I've got a woahmaker too ,simular to this..https://www.google.com/search?q=bosel+w ... FRPQR2RnpM:

I've got a bosal and he does fine with it, I'm just not keen on the huge rope reins and how they're attached at the bottom. Seems way too heavy to me.
most of the excess rein can be took off ...not all of that is really necessary just trail riding a old broke horse..I assume you wanting the rider to stay out of their mouth...

My dad used to like a small/light bosal on a broke horse being used outside the arena. His favorite stallion had a tiny, soft mouth. He rode him in a super light sweet mouth lady leg with almost no port in the ring. Outside the arena, he used a tie down that was literally a single ear headstall with a stiff rope nose band (looked like a bosal, just way way way lighter duty). Instead of the tie down strap, he tied a soft rope to the "bosal" and left a long pig tail to tuck in his belt.

Latest posts