Bison

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have not been able to find out if a Bufalo bull can breed a cow I dont want to raise a lot of them just thought it would be kind of neat. last fall we caught a bufalo bull calf he has been running whith our bulls for over a year and he rides the bulls so was thinking of throwing him on a few longhorn cows just for fun. would it work and would the heifers be fertile? :cowboy:

One of the problems they had origianlly was that Bison bulls wouldn;t breed bovine cows and Bison cows wouldn;t let bovine bulls breed them.
Seems like there was also some fertility issues with the F1's

dun":1jv0obk9 said:
One of the problems they had origianlly was that Bison bulls wouldn;t breed bovine cows and Bison cows wouldn;t let bovine bulls breed them.
Seems like there was also some fertility issues with the F1's

We collected some F1s one time. It was hit or miss whether they would be fertile or not. All depends on how the chromosomes link up.

I know a few people that have done it with bufalo cows they breed every year they where raised with cows just did not know if bufalo bull could breed a beef cow.Thanks for input :cowboy:

U Lazy 2 Ranch":147vzkgd said:
I know a few people that have done it with bufalo cows they breed every year they where raised with cows just did not know if bufalo bull could breed a beef cow.Thanks for input :cowboy:
Should be one ugly sumbuck....a long haired speckled longhorn.

One more problem. A buffalo bull on a cattle cows, there will be pregnancy issues; protein poisoning, too much water round the calves in the womb, and lots of aborted or dead calves.
The other way, cattle bull on bison cows will work better.
Still all the other problems the other people told you about will be there either way.

It is an intriguing idea; one that has intrigued me too, however many has tried, failed, and tried again.
It will cost money to do it. If you want to see it work safely, then buy some beefalo. They are likely expensive, because they costed a lot to develop, without beeing more valuable than other breeds as production stock. :2cents:

U Lazy 2 Ranch":25zda547 said:
I have not been able to find out if a Bufalo bull can breed a cow I dont want to raise a lot of them just thought it would be kind of neat. last fall we caught a bufalo bull calf he has been running whith our bulls for over a year and he rides the bulls so was thinking of throwing him on a few longhorn cows just for fun. would it work and would the heifers be fertile? :cowboy:

i dont know how much you have been around buffalo so i am just going to point out that neat wont describe it at all. a buffalo cow is meaner than any bull you ever been around so you can imagine what a buffalo bull should act like. also they are faster than cows spin quicker than cows and if they dont want you out there will come running at your vehicle and smash into the side of it. on top of that when a buffalos calf gets across a fence line they are different than a cow. a cow will bawl and get calf to crawl back over a buffalo will smash down and tear out a chuck of fence and i not talking just a post or 2 i mean 100 ft of it completely to the ground. they are hard on things your corrals better be good and i mean real good cause it isnt that they will jump them but just put thier head down and go threw whatever they want. also if you buy buffalo cows and bring them to your place they will consstantly get out until you have replacements out of them that have been born and raised on your place and than those replacements will stay better but the older cows will still get out.

On a positive not though you wont have to break any ice during the winter because the buffalo will just walk along a creek or edge of dam and smash its head into the ice breaking it open. and do it in alot of different spots not just one so there is a good side to havine one around in that sense. also we have had few them buffalo cows get out and just seem content to stay with the regular cows before and i never did see one get bred at all.

Lon":1dmaubg0 said:
U Lazy 2 Ranch":1dmaubg0 said:

i dont know how much you have been around buffalo so i am just going to point out that neat wont describe it at all. a buffalo cow is meaner than any bull you ever been around so you can imagine what a buffalo bull should act like. also they are faster than cows spin quicker than cows and if they dont want you out there will come running at your vehicle and smash into the side of it. on top of that when a buffalos calf gets across a fence line they are different than a cow. a cow will bawl and get calf to crawl back over a buffalo will smash down and tear out a chuck of fence and i not talking just a post or 2 i mean 100 ft of it completely to the ground. they are hard on things your corrals better be good and i mean real good cause it isnt that they will jump them but just put thier head down and go threw whatever they want. also if you buy buffalo cows and bring them to your place they will consstantly get out until you have replacements out of them that have been born and raised on your place and than those replacements will stay better but the older cows will still get out.

On a positive not though you wont have to break any ice during the winter because the buffalo will just walk along a creek or edge of dam and smash its head into the ice breaking it open. and do it in alot of different spots not just one so there is a good side to havine one around in that sense. also we have had few them buffalo cows get out and just seem content to stay with the regular cows before and i never did see one get bred at all.
Yea I know they can be a handfull i have worked with some and you are right about them getting out the one i have got out with 18 others we went and chased them down on horses shot them all but one we roped the guy that owned them let me keep him.(because he could not handle then) he is not worse than most any other breed. what i can tell you for sure is that they can be handled. most people like you are scared of them and treat them like wild animals so they will be that way. treat them like your other cattle they will handle just fine.Oh yea thats why i want to breed my buffalo bull to beef cows cuz i dont want to buy peoples buffalo cows that they cant handle. :cowboy:

U Lazy 2 Ranch":2mpu9rb7 said:
Lon":2mpu9rb7 said:
U Lazy 2 Ranch":2mpu9rb7 said:

Yea I know they can be a handfull i have worked with some and you are right about them getting out the one i have got out with 18 others we went and chased them down on horses shot them all but one we roped the guy that owned them let me keep him.(because he could not handle then) he is not worse than most any other breed. what i can tell you for sure is that they can be handled. most people like you are scared of them and treat them like wild animals so they will be that way. treat them like your other cattle they will handle just fine.Oh yea thats why i want to breed my buffalo bull to beef cows cuz i dont want to buy peoples buffalo cows that they cant handle. :cowboy:

i will say first i tried to giver you honest information from my experience with them. but you do not know me well enough to go out and assume i am scared of them like most people. i have worked with them quite a bit as our tribe has alot of them and my uncle was in charge of running them at the time.in regards to treat them like your cows and they will act like that except for the fact that compared to a cow they will flatten fences break their own water open spin on a dime calve out smaller babies etc etc point being they are not cows. (they are not cows expecially something like a hereford. they might act like cows follow for cake like a cow eat hay like a cow but when cornered or threated they are as far from a cow as a wolf if from a dog). you can raise them and do just fine with them as anyone can. but they have to be treated with respect they deserve just as a cow does. biggerest difference being you sure aint gonna smack them with a stick and turn them away like you would a cow. also you said that you guys cahsed 18 of them down with horses and shot them all except one. the ones we have handled we never shot because we couldnt handle them they got two ropes throwed on them and drug into a trailer.
we didnt shoot them cause we were scared to load them like most people :cowboy:
see how i did that how i dont know you but i assume that either you shot them cause you were scared of them or couldnt cowboy good enough to get them loaded. i dont know you so i shouldnt assume something like that so you can keep your cowboy sign and your whole scared bit to yourself cause in your question you didnt say wiether or not you had any experience with them you just said your thought process. so i offered information on raising them from real first hand experience to try and help.
so again if you can raise them and be succesful at it and the meat commands a high dollar if you got the market for it you can make a killing on them. i would just suggest good corrals and good handling skills. if you have both those thier isnt no reason you couldnt raise them. as far as beefalo i have no idea about.

You need to use a bovine bull on bison cows to get a live calf. The bovine cows will breed to a bison bull but their body tries to reject the fetus and usually the cow and the calf dies before they can carry them full term. The fetus builds up amniotic fluid around the fetus and the cow and fetus will die. You can breed your half blood heifers back either way-to a bison or bovine bull. Half blood bull calves will be sterile, might as well steer them and eat them.

Friday there was a guy dropping off 4 buffaloes at a Mennonite slaughterhouse I was making a delivery to. They sure didn't have any trouble getting them out of the trailer. By the way my delivery had nothing to do with the slaughterhouse, I was delivering several pallets of flowers for their other business.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but you guys know what you are talking about so----- whats the difference in a beefalo and a bison hybred.