birth weight question?

Help Support CattleToday:

robdogtn

Reaction score
Well I have a question that has been buggin me lately. Does anyone know either by self weighing or by SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess), how much weight does an average calf gain on day 1? I usually wait till day 2 to weigh a calf because I like to let them be a calf on day 1. So I have been thinking, how much do they gain from day 1 to day 2? I mean once they start taking in milk and some excercise?

For the short answer: breedplan.une.edu.au/tips/Understanding%20Birth%20Wt%20EBVs.pdf

For the long answer (study done in the 1940's, but like momma said, babies ain't changed that much): jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/14/3/792.pdf

We try to weigh in the 1st 24hrs, don't run as fast as we used to. ;-)

robdogtn":1ix9g6i8 said:
Well I have a question that has been buggin me lately. Does anyone know either by self weighing or by SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess), how much weight does an average calf gain on day 1? I usually wait till day 2 to weigh a calf because I like to let them be a calf on day 1. So I have been thinking, how much do they gain from day 1 to day 2? I mean once they start taking in milk and some excercise?

Depends a lot on how much milk he got

Latest posts