Birth weight epd (Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
I have eight brangus cross heifers that I need to turn a bull out with in April. My partner has a two year old Angus that has a birth weight epd of plus 2.7. Ther sire of the heifers is a Brangus birth weight epd is minus 1.7and their mothers are Angus/Brangus cross. My question is would the plus 2.7 bull be too much for the heifers. They currently weigh approximately 800lbs. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Devin":3emwcnqy said:
I have eight brangus cross heifers that I need to turn a bull out with in April. My partner has a two year old Angus that has a birth weight epd of plus 2.7. Ther sire of the heifers is a Brangus birth weight epd is minus 1.7and their mothers are Angus/Brangus cross. My question is would the plus 2.7 bull be too much for the heifers. They currently weigh approximately 800lbs. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Angus Association recommends using an Angus bull with a BW EPD of less than 3 on first calf heifers. So 2.7 falls within their guidelines. Personally, I'd get the registration number of the bull, go to the http://www.angus.org site, look up his pedigree and double check that there aren't any animals with huge BW EPDs lurking close up in his background. Have you seen any of the bull's calves? Has your partner had any particular calving problems with the bull? Good luck...

Frankie":fnamczo6 said:
double check that there aren't any animals with huge BW EPDs lurking close up in his background. Have you seen any of the bull's calves? Has your partner had any particular calving problems with the bull? Good luck...

We check 3 generations back. Too many train wrecks have happened when one of those sky high BW relatives pops up with a heifers calf.

dun

Registerd Angus also have a CED number befor the BW number. Check it. The higher the better. I would recomend a nimber of 7 or higher.

Scotty