Birds in fruit trees....

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know, Yellowhammer woodpeckers have been pecking on my peaches. Tolerable damage from them. Coons and possums are what will put you out of business quick.

Nesikep":1b9au1ig said:
crows and robins are the worst here in the cherries.. they just get shot
You kill a few and there's thousands right behind them. That works about as well as shooting deer to keep them from eating your garden which means it works for 15 minutes.

tater74":2uxdv4wn said:
Short of shooting them, how do you keep them out of your fruit trees?

Nets are a pain in the behind, i understand that plastic owls don't work. Does hanging cd's or tin foil work?

trade you my bears for your birds the bears tear the trees up so bad its ridiculous... neighbor hung a rubber snake up to keep birds out of his car port

I have bears too.. they have short lives here.

We used to have starlings, but we done killed them all, there must be a bad vibe around our place now because they never stop here.. I think they have clans, and when you get rid of a clan, you're free of them for a while.. crows.. well, there's a clan of them too, they go up the river every morning and come back down in the evening.. I loathe them.

Whirly gigs work some. Rubber snakes are all thru my boysenberry trellis. Pinwheels.

Go to a garbage sale and stock up on spoons. Hand them with cord and let the wind spin them. They're flashy.

I have a scarecrow too. Stocked up on Christmas balls after Christmas was over. Put those red balls out there when fruit is not yet ripe. Birds peck at that ornaments and think it is all just for show.

Redbirds and mocking birds are my worst enemies.

bbirder":3pl9g86m said:
Wife had a few sunflowers blooming along a fence with cucumbers. Today found them all cut back about half stalk with flowers and stalk missing. Seemed to be chewed. Any ideas?
I would say deer, but if they didn't eat all the cucumbers and vines into the dirt then probably not deer.

Nesikep":19xnbmci said:
I have bears too.. they have short lives here.

We used to have starlings, but we done killed them all, there must be a bad vibe around our place now because they never stop here.. I think they have clans, and when you get rid of a clan, you're free of them for a while.. crows.. well, there's a clan of them too, they go up the river every morning and come back down in the evening.. I loathe them.

They only let us kill 1 bear a year here so theres plenty of them

I think as long as they don't damage the trees, then it's ok for them to stay there.

It took less than a week to thin the squirrels from eating my dad's mangoes. My brother and dad tried everything because his next door neighbor is major bug hugger. A pellet gun with a silencer did the impossible.

tater74":3ko0npbl said:
aventun":3ko0npbl said:
I think as long as they don't damage the trees, then it's ok for them to stay there.
You missed the point of the thread. I want to eat the fruit myself and not share with the birds.
I think you're talking to a robot there, tater.

ga.prime":v4mjnoxk said:
tater74":v4mjnoxk said:
aventun":v4mjnoxk said:
You missed the point of the thread. I want to eat the fruit myself and not share with the birds.
I think you're talking to a robot there, tater.
I think you're right

You need more trees to have more than the birds will eat. Most of the villains are mockingbirds and there will be only a few in the area.

Everything needs to eat to survive - fact is if you were the bird you would do it as well. Around here we just accept the losses and move on because in the end it is not worth the hassle and rise in BP.

Best to all.

Install a netting on top of the tree, I use a netting on my cherry trees, is an effective way to keep birds away from your cherries.

Latest posts