Bird Flu

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Extension agent stopped by today and said he was letting ever one know not to use any chicken litter they found some sort of bird flu in it here in the potomac valley

There has been no documented case of Bird Flu here on the North American continant.They are testing multipal birds that are migratory out here. Nothing yet.
Took a class this last fall that included the bird flu. Rather interesting information. The virus has not yet muitated and is reserved to it's indivigual host. The people who have contracted the bird flu and died from it did not follow proper hygene such as washing their hands after touching or being around sick birds and were in constant contact with them.
So did this agent have the documentation and lab results with them? What was specific name and type?

The only I can tell you is what he told me. Didn't mention what strains, etc.!! I didn't asked he said that the two farms in question were being blocked by the West Virginia State Police to prevent anyone from entering them and they were tracking down all of the farmers that had gotten litter from them to stop them from spreading on the fields and to test it. We don't spread litter AT ALL. Considered it but, we never went down that road honestly no houses next door to get it from. I just left a message for him I'll let you know what he tells me when I hear back from him.

BTW I don't think an extension agent runs around the hillside spreading lies about something as serious as a bird related virus/flu or what ever it is exactly for the fun of it.BTW

I don't think he was lying, I was just wondering what stain it was. H5N1 is the strain that is the one they are most concerned about.
It is not a matter of "if" it comes, but "when" will it get here.
FYI the reason there is no vaccine for this strain is because they need fertile chicken eggs and the only way to tell if they are fertile is at day 14. This strain kills the fertile egg, so they are not able to make the vaccine. Did you know that the one animal that can help this virus cross over to another species is the pig?
I was not able to find my fact sheet. I think I loaned to a friend.
Are you ready for it?

Am I ready for a bird flu?? Don't think I'll ever be ready for it. And like you said it's not if, it's when. Not much education on it around here goin' on. Just what's on here and the news.

bird flu... pfft... never happened here like they said it was going to......another big news item that fizzled...

Herefordcross was correct. Here's the article:

MetroNews
Pendleton County

State officials say the poultry industry in the Eastern Panhandle is on high alert after a strain of the bird flu, H5N2, was found in a flock of turkeys.

Federal and state officials say this particular strain of the bird flu poses no danger to humans but has the potential to mutate into something more dangerous in birds.

"If you let that persist in the industry, you run the risk of that virus mutating into something more dangerous," says Buddy Davidson with the State Department of Environmental Protection.

That's why Davidson says 25,000 turkeys have been killed in Pendleton County. "The USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) requires that any H5 or H7 (strain) positive flock be destroyed in order to prevent the spread of that," says Davidson.

The birds are being composted at the farm site. "There's no reason that that farm cannot go back into business at some point. There will be decontamination procedures that they'll have to go through but they should be up and running again at some point."

Routine blood tests turned up the virus in the turkeys. The turkeys showed no symptoms. Those test results were confirmed over the weekend and the birds were killed on Monday. The farm is not being identified. The site will receive federal money to cover the losses.

"We certainly feel that we have the situation under control at the farm. We will be doing additional surveillance within a six mile radius of that farm to make sure that we don't have any avian influenza on farms in that area," says Davidson in an interview with MetroNews from Moorefield on Tuesday.

The last time the H5N2 strain was found in West Virginia was in 2002 at a Hardy County farm where 14,000 chickens were destroyed.

Should have been in the ed. class I was in. I could feel my hair turning gray.
The class was to prepare volunteer fire fighters and ems people for the possibilty of a pandemic outbreak.
Since you mentioned not much education about, here is some of what I can remember.
Expect no CDC control. Signs of flu apprear 24-48 hours after contact. Don't expect them to tell the public, it would cause wide spread panic.
Keep on stock at all times at least 2 weeks worth of food. Figure a lot longer time period. Stock up on any prescrition meds you may need.
Isolate yourself from other people.
Keep on hand cold medication, asprin, soap, batteries, protable radio, flash light and ammunition. Don't forget toilet paper and paper towels.
Expect for the electricity to go out and no sanitation services and complete social breakdown.
Canned goods are the best to keep on hand and bottled water if you depend on electricity to run your well pump. A generator is also a good investment.
The worst outbreak took 9 months to circle the earth back in the 1800's. They have figured that the next outbreak will take about 3 days.
On average an outbreak accures every 25 years. We are now at year 37. We are due.
Am I trying to scare you? No. I am trying to get you ready. This can happen at any time.

livestock101":394430ky said:
The birds are being composted at the farm site.
In other words - dug a hole and buried them.
but dang that would've been a big hole
25,000 birds more than likely ready to ship (that is when they do a blood test on our chickens)
so 25,000 birds each probably weighing 15 pounds or so (guess based on what is in the grocery store)

I hope that was a company farm not some poor farmer
no money for that entire flock after spending all of the time and money to raise them

Incenerated on site so my buddy Trooper, said. I found out where it is and these people aren't much of an operation sad to see it happen to anyone let alone a little man.

Latest posts