Biodiesel better than corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Quote from Newspaper.
The roots for a new energy crop in Southwest Florida have been planted.

In LaBelle, a company called My Dream Fuel LLC is cultivating Jatropha curcas, a tree-shrub that shows promise as a new biodiesel crop in the U.S. that could one day power engines and generators.

Researchers say the plant can produce four times more fuel per acre than soy, and 10 times more than corn.

Anybody ever heard of this Tree. This is some info on the web but most of the Trees are planted in India and Africa.

They will grow in Texas I think but they are freeze sensitive. I have read were they are coming out with a more cold tolerant plant. Some pretty need info since I do not think corn or soybeans are the answer due to the cost to produce a gallon of Biodiesel. They say the conversion rate is better on canola or peanuts.
Does any body know what true biodiesel sells for on the retail level per gallon. There is not any Bio stations here in Fl. but they say there is some in Iowa.

jatropha.jpg

Sounds as if bio diesel may be about 20% higher than the other stuff. A couple blogs mentioned that this plant just may be the ticket for reducing the cost and bringing it well under current prices. At this point most biodiesel is made from soy bean which is expensive and does not deliver near enough energy.

The tree will grow in very poor soil. But won't take a freeze. I looked into it some time back. Gets to cold in North Texas. Around here Bio is selling for a few cents less per gallon. Best way is make your own. I'm using waste oil for now. May end up using sunflowers in the future.