Binoculars

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I usually carry a pair of binoculars in my vehicle- and when I go scouting looking for missing bulls or cows take them with me to read brands or eartags from a ways off...
A couple weeks ago when I was trying to get bulls sorted out on the 4 wheeler- I lost the ones I had- a pair of 7 X 50 Bushnells...

So the other day I saw some cheapy Vanguard 8 X 21 Compacts that fold up and fit in your pocket...Since they were cheap ($20) I picked up a pair...
This morning I took them with me when I was scouting things out...Impressive- for the price...While they weren't as light gathering in the predawn light as my old ones- as soon as the sun broke over the horizon they worked quite well...I couldn't believe the clarity for them being a cheap pair... And they fold up and fit right in my shirt or vest pocket (have to wear the vest to get enough pockets for cell phone, Redbook, calculator, Copenhagen, and now binoculars ;-) )-- but I think if they hold up OK I might just buy a couple more pairs and throw in each vehicle jockey box..

I got a pair of simmions 10x50's from Cabelas for 25.00 dollars, I dont like simmons rifle scopes but the binoculars are pretty good.

Oldtimer - I am the same way. I keep a pair of compact binoculars in the center console of my truck. They're OK, but for hunting, I use my large Bushnells.

I just read an article in F&S where you should start at nothing below $400. At $200 you will find nothing but crap. Best ones start at $1500 min, better yet at $3000 :shock:
Do you suppose they are plugging their advertising? :roll:

OT, you better take a load to the sale and get that $3000 pair. :cowboy:

mnmtranching":375vt3v1 said:
I just read an article in F&S where you should start at nothing below $400. At $200 you will find nothing but crap. Best ones start at $1500 min, better yet at $3000 :shock:

With my oldtimers disease of forgetting where I put stuff- and losing stuff- right now I think the $20 pair better suits me... ;-)
I really thought these would be a piece of junk- since they were so cheap- but so far I'm impressed...They sure work for what I want them to do...

I'm pretty easily satisfied on things if they do the job I want them to....My kids are always harping at me to get a new cell phone model so I can play games, text, listen to fancy ring tones, take pictures, have a photo album, etc. etc.- and I keep telling them all I want a cell phone for is to call someone when I need to....I just got that all figured out in this old one- and don't want to spend another 10 years trying to figure out a new one... ;-)

Oldtimer":3eh5i6ci said:
mnmtranching":3eh5i6ci said:

With my oldtimers disease of forgetting where I put stuff- and losing stuff- right now I think the $20 pair better suits me... ;-)
I really thought these would be a piece of junk- since they were so cheap- but so far I'm impressed...They sure work for what I want them to do...

I'm pretty easily satisfied on things if they do the job I want them to....My kids are always harping at me to get a new cell phone model so I can play games, text, listen to fancy ring tones, take pictures, have a photo album, etc. etc.- and I keep telling them all I want a cell phone for is to call someone when I need to....I just got that all figured out in this old one- and don't want to spend another 10 years trying to figure out a new one... ;-)

The optics on a cheap set of binocs or a scope today are way better then all but the very best optics were just 10 years ago. One of the biggest problems with the cheap stuff is that they frequently cut corners (to keep the price down) but skimping on the coatings.

I bought a new pair of Stiener 8x30 Safari binocs off ebay a few years ago for $130.00. That is the best glass for that kind of money that I have found yet. The Safari models are a little cheaper made but are still better quality than most sets running in the 250.00 to 300.00 range.

HOSS":t58v49hw said:
I bought a new pair of Stiener 8x30 Safari binocs off ebay a few years ago for $130.00. That is the best glass for that kind of money that I have found yet. The Safari models are a little cheaper made but are still better quality than most sets running in the 250.00 to 300.00 range.
You want believe the difference in a good pair of eyes until you try em---Once you pay good money , believe me, you want loose em !!! :tiphat:

talldog":1qrcr167 said:
HOSS":1qrcr167 said:
You want believe the difference in a good pair of eyes until you try em---Once you pay good money , believe me, you want loose em !!! :tiphat:

I know all about good glass and how to lose them. I dropped a good pair of Swarovskis overboard on a Canadien moose hunt. They sunk into 40 feet of 33 degree lake water. I replaced those with a new set of leoupold gold rings and lost them somewhere in 3 foot of snow while bowhunting in northern illinois. Never did find them even after snow melt. I then bought the steiners and it seems like i can't lose them.

Latest posts