Biggest Loser at work

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
The school where I work is doing a Biggest Loser contest. Everyone pitches in ten bucks and the person who loses the biggest percentage of body weight at the end gets 60% of the money, with second and third prize splitting the rest of the money. So I decided to do this thing. Now, I am not a real fattie, but I do have some Christmas weight I would like to shed, and since I hate exercise and I have no one really pushing me, I haven't started on it, yet. I thought this would be the incentive I needed.

Now people are mad at me for joining in. I weighed in at 127.4 pounds today. I am about 5'8", give or take, and I thought that shedding 5 pounds would be getting back to my fighting weight. I have been telling people that I don't lose weight easily because I have never had to diet before, I hate exercise and five pound of me would be like a big person losing a lot more. It's fair, isn't it, if we go by percentage? I'll quit if everyone is bummed about it, but I'd like to participate because it will give me some incentive.

Lammie":d5e7jvzg said:
The school where I work is doing a Biggest Loser contest. Everyone pitches in ten bucks and the person who loses the biggest percentage of body weight at the end gets 60% of the money, with second and third prize splitting the rest of the money. So I decided to do this thing. Now, I am not a real fattie, but I do have some Christmas weight I would like to shed, and since I hate exercise and I have no one really pushing me, I haven't started on it, yet. I thought this would be the incentive I needed.

Now people are mad at me for joining in. I weighed in at 127.4 pounds today. I am about 5'8", give or take, and I thought that shedding 5 pounds would be getting back to my fighting weight. I have been telling people that I don't lose weight easily because I have never had to diet before, I hate exercise and five pound of me would be like a big person losing a lot more. It's fair, isn't it, if we go by percentage? I'll quit if everyone is bummed about it, but I'd like to participate because it will give me some incentive.

Tell the ol' man to keep servin' up the Menudo and you'll lose every more. :lol: :lol:

The calves and I decided to do a biggest loser contest. They continued to gain...and I didn't lose an ounce...even though I used all kinds of muscles to open the sacks and pour them into the troughs. I guess I'm gonna have to step up my gym regimen. Can't talk the calves into goin' with me, tho...

Alice

Lammie":3nu48672 said:
I weighed in at 127.4 pounds today. I am about 5'8", give or take, and I thought that shedding 5 pounds would be getting back to my fighting weight.
5'8 and you want to get to 122?? :eek:
Who on Earth are you fighting? Popeye's girlfriend?

Lammie":184seybx said:

I can see your coworkers point. You don't really need to lose weight, and they may feel that you are poking fun at them by signing up, or making a joke of the whole thing, while some probably take it very seriously.

GMN

I'm really not making fun. Honestly. I have a hard time losing weight. I have been super skinny my whole life and this is the most I have ever weighed when not pregnant. In fact, I got up to 132 on my last pregnancy and 140 on the first one, and it was all back fat and gross stuff like that.

It will be harder for me to lose four or five pounds than it will be for someone else to lose ten or twenty. Heck, I bet my husband could poop four pounds! And going by percentages, it has to be fair. I won't even keep the money if I win. I just need to get into some sort of contest to make myself do it.

I got a gut, I tell ya! :help:

Lammie":2nvd11ri said:
I'm really not making fun. Honestly. I have a hard time losing weight. I have been super skinny my whole life and this is the most I have ever weighed when not pregnant. In fact, I got up to 132 on my last pregnancy and 140 on the first one, and it was all back fat and gross stuff like that.

It will be harder for me to lose four or five pounds than it will be for someone else to lose ten or twenty. Heck, I bet my husband could poop four pounds! And going by percentages, it has to be fair. I won't even keep the money if I win. I just need to get into some sort of contest to make myself do it.

Whatever it takes to do it.. I say go for it, if it makes you happy.
But I agree.. 5'8" and 127 sounds like your already the winner.

i cant loose weight either.but then again im not really trying to.but goodluck losing weight.

Hi,

I used to be pretty obese and started putting on a lot of weight especially on my thighs and bottom in my late thirties. I started exercising as often as possible and also cut down on a lot of high calorie stuff. Unfortunately I hardly managed to lose much weight at all. I then recently read an article by a lady who claimed that she managed to lose nearly half of her weight using a particular weight loss supplement. I tried it out and it actually worked quite well. Within 4 months I managed to lose about 65 pounds. The results were pretty amazing and I feel so much healthier and energetic now. You can read more about the lady's article at

http://www.obesityzapped.com

Limomike":1i7bp037 said:
Lammie":1i7bp037 said:

Whatever it takes to do it.. I say go for it, if it makes you happy.
But I agree.. 5'8" and 127 sounds like your already the winner.

I guess there's no way to sound convincing. I just thought it would be fun. I don't want to put anyone off. This is a new area to me and I don't want to end up getting out of control. You know, no one who is obese just wakes up like that. It has to start somewhere.

I need to start with my eating habits. I know that much. All that time being skinny, I never watched what I ate, and now, with me getting older, it is starting to tell on me. I watched my mom battle weight when she was my age, along with the high cholesterol, which I also have.

I just wanted to find a way to be more fit and maybe if I lost some weight it would be a nice side benefit. I do have a competitive nature and I thought this would be good. I'll drop my plans to do it if everyone thinks I'm being a snob.

grannysoo":36uh7prr said:
You're sure not going to make the 2010 CrowderFarms calandar.

127 pounds at 5/8? Be happy where you're at.

Maybe Ol' Crowder will slip her in on the edge of a page...she'll be thin enough to fit. :lol:

Lammie- I say if you want to do it then do it, and to heck with what others think. If it was supposed to be just for real heavy people then it would be based on # of pounds lost instead of % of body fat. It sounds to me that you're in it for the right reasons and the whiners are in it for the wrong ones (money). If you win some money, donate it to something that will benefit the school and/or the community.

I understand exactly what you are saying here. Putting an extra 5 pounds on a tiny framed person can really make ya look and feel like a toad. I'm in the same boat right now...it's all in my butt..I've never been so big! I'm 5'4" and weigh 116, which would be fine if I wasn't so small boned. That would probably be the right size for somebody that was built bigger. I am just hoping I will be able to work it all off this summer like I usually do,it's just never been this much. I think your in if for the right reasons, let everyone's negative comments role right on over your head...like you can't even hear them. If your not at your comfortable or natural weight then go for it!! The other's are just being Haters!

I bought three kinds of really twiggy cereal today. I ate a bowl for lunch, Kashi Graham Twigs and Probiotics, something like that. Yep, it was a little like eating cardboard... I'll get used to it. I'll let you know who the other kinds taste. Like calf starter probably, with a little milk. I also got the new kind of artificial sweetner for the coffe, (three teaspoons of sugar!), whole grains, yogurt, hay, you know, all that good stuff.

I hope I can last six weeks. I'll have to break down and eat real food at some point. :help:

Lammie":13uqn85w said:
I bought three kinds of really twiggy cereal today. I ate a bowl for lunch, Kashi Graham Twigs and Probiotics, something like that. Yep, it was a little like eating cardboard... I'll get used to it. I'll let you know who the other kinds taste. Like calf starter probably, with a little milk. I also got the new kind of artificial sweetner for the coffe, (three teaspoons of sugar!), whole grains, yogurt, hay, you know, all that good stuff.

I hope I can last six weeks. I'll have to break down and eat real food at some point. :help:

Here's what I did a few years ago when my cholesterol was way too high and my doctor put me on a low fat diet. Six days a week I ate low fat foods. Tasteless cereals, lots of fruits and vegetables, Lean Cuisine entrees, all that crap. But the seventh day, usually on the weekend, I ate whatever I wanted, but was careful not to overdo it. It gave me something to look forward to, and I didn't get discouraged by that feeling that I would never enjoy a meal again. Also don't forget the excercise. A brisk 45 min to an hour walk will work wonders for lowering cholesterol and/or taking off weight. But it has to be every day. No excuses.
Anyway, I lost 30 lbs and took the cholesterol from over 300 to 160 in three months. Naturally, I've gained all the weight back and my cholesterol is pushing 300 again, but you get the point. ;-) I also realize that I had more weight to lose than you do, but maybe if you allow yourself to eat something you really want once a week or two it'll make it easier. Good luck.

Hey Lammie,

Go ahead and do it for you. After all; it is for your health, not for acceptance in the Culture Club. You'll gain self confidence when you achieve your goal and learn what is required to reduce weight on your own body. Many times it takes a somewhat different approach to obtain results for some people. Then if you need to do it again, you will know what works for your body to shed lbs. :nod:

I was always a big tall guy but had weight issues that needed addressing. After a horse and buggy accident and being scheduled for hand surgery, I found out that I'm type 2 diabetic (averaging over 400). I listened to the counselors, made my best efforts, and have now taken off 52 lbs in a little over a year. I need to take off another 40 and hope to accomplish that in 2009. Blood sugar is averaging 105, cholesterol and blood pressure is much better, and have gone down from a 46 waist to a 38. Don't let anyone fool you. Its still a struggle and I still face frustration. But thats better than losing a leg, eyesight, kidney failure, etc. etc. After watching both parents struggle with diabetic and weight complications involving two dedicated cattle people face wheelchairs and then death, my diagnosis helped wake me up.

Whether its 5 lbs or 105 lbs to lose, its your health that will benefit from your weight loss.

Also; I agree with what VanC and show time said.

Good luck with your efforts and I wish you the best of luck.

Keep us posted. :tiphat:

HUS

Latest posts