big WIDE brim hats

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.":1cfxvzk4 said:
For my part, wide brimmed hats are about as practical as using a pocket knife is for cutting pulp wood. I've worn them and they get in the way when going through thick underbrush hunting newborns, when digging postholes, when the wind blows, when trying to work cattle, when doing mechanic work on a truck or tractor.....give me a well worn Auburn ball cap for general farm work. Besides, that Orange and Blue sets off the captivating blue of my eyes. 8)

I don't much care what my baseball cap says(current one says John Deere - the one before that said Z & W Mill), or what color it is. As long as it keeps the sun out of my eyes, and protects my lips from sunburning, I'm a happy camper. I also agree with you 100% on the pitfalls of big hats. Another detractor of big hats is that they tend to blow off, hit the horse you're riding on the butt, and cause said horse to then try his/her level best to jump out from underneath you. :roll:

msscamp":3ui5dgnp said:
J. T.":3ui5dgnp said:
For my part, wide brimmed hats are about as practical as using a pocket knife is for cutting pulp wood. I've worn them and they get in the way when going through thick underbrush hunting newborns, when digging postholes, when the wind blows, when trying to work cattle, when doing mechanic work on a truck or tractor.....give me a well worn Auburn ball cap for general farm work. Besides, that Orange and Blue sets off the captivating blue of my eyes. 8)

I don't much care what my baseball cap says(current one says John Deere - the one before that said Z & W Mill), or what color it is. As long as it keeps the sun out of my eyes, and protects my lips from sunburning, I'm a happy camper. I also agree with you 100% on the pitfalls of big hats. Another detractor of big hats is that they tend to blow off, hit the horse you're riding on the butt, and cause said horse to then try his/her level best to jump out from underneath you. :roll:

Well, yes, I guess a horse would tend to frown upon that....however, a lawnmower just tends to shred the offending hat to pieces... :lol:

I can see why a buck a hat makes sense...

Alice

Alice":39emc76l said:
msscamp":39emc76l said:
J. T.":39emc76l said:

Well, yes, I guess a horse would tend to frown upon that....however, a lawnmower just tends to shred the offending hat to pieces... :lol:

Alice

Alice, you lost me - where did the lawnmower come from? :???:

Way back in previous posts...I said something about broad brimmed hats and mowing the lawn...which, I think, is what this thread was about in the first place...someone needing a broad brimmed hat so they wouldn't have to continually be slathering on sunscreen.

Alice

Alice":2cqkfslp said:
msscamp":2cqkfslp said:
J. T.":2cqkfslp said:

Alice
i have a visual of Alice mowing the lawn backwards now.

Beefy":13vvt9e8 said:
Alice":13vvt9e8 said:
msscamp":13vvt9e8 said:
J. T.":13vvt9e8 said:

Alice
i have a visual of Alice mowing the lawn backwards now.

That's been known to happen :p ...plus, in this tall grass (yes, I love this rain!) a hat can blow off and be history on the very next pass. :D

Alice

Texas Gal":1ful94yo said:
Caustic Burno":1ful94yo said:
Go hang out at TSC and wait until you see some dude drive in with a big four wheel drive diesel pulling an aluminum trailer with the side painted such and such ranch. Now when the guy gets out of the truck if he has a belt buckle the size of a hubcap, stop and ask him. This guy will be an authority on where to get all your supplies to look like a cowboy. :cowboy:

Another qualifier: he and his rig must be squeaky clean. No mud or cow crap on anything ( including the trailer's interior). No tangled hay string, rusty baling wire, bent t-posts, empty feed sacks or rotella jugs, etc. rolling around in the bed of the truck.

I don't guess my trucks would Make the cut. They have green stuff growing in the bed from what's Left in there from last years hay. The Shivy had a dollar weed growing in one front corner.

As far as wearing hats or caps. I've seen a lot more cap wearers with skin cancer on their ears then hat wearers and in the winter a hat is a dern sight warmer except maybe for Scotch caps.Z

I went in a Wal Mart where they were remodeling. (I hate it when they do that) They had a shelf with straw hats marked down to $3.00 each. There was a stack of Sombrero's with a mulitcolored brim. I picked it up and looked and it had a sticker that read: "Adult Sombrero, made in Vietnam!" :shock:
Chuckie

Here in Texas you can find them at any Wal Mart, and relatively inexpensive as well.

Hubby has to wear them in the summer on the dozer also.. but they don't work that great in my opinion. It's hard to get something that will cover all of your face / neck without roasting you out of it.

I bet sun screen is still the best option. About 50 or 60 SPF