Big Water Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that lack of water is going to be a major factor for all of us. Never has it been so dire as it is in South Texas with the Mexicans not fullfilling their treaty water releases. Wish I spineless politicians from both parties would send the Mexican goverment a wakeup call. A drone strike on one of the lesser dams might get their attention.

We have folks in the Hill country trying to grow yards that are meant for the coast and folks in Houston that have their water usuage tied to their taxes. Needless to say Houston was the last city to get on board with water restrictions, cause they dont wish to loose their revenue stream.

So what are you folks doing in your part of the world? I for one have put down a major well. If and when I get back in the cattle biz it will be with fewer head and Im going back to the native grasses as much as possible. Have not put in anymore stock ponds cause this is flatland. How bout you folks any ideas?

skyhightree1":37eaflmf said:
We are having the wettests summer every pretty much atleast 5 inches of rain a week.

:???:
Didn't realize the weather was that much different from here to there.

fitz

We were pretty good until late June. Then it never rained a drop in July. A little shot on the 9th. But yesterday afternoon it started raining and has been ever since. Not hard rain but that slow soaking in kind. August is always our dry month so anything this month is a blessing. By mid September it will starting raining. November through March, maybe April, you wish it would dry up for a day or two. of course it is too cold for anything to grow November through February.

Last year it rained in late July and then not a drop until October. Set some kind of a record.

Seems like we have been in and on and on drought since 1996, tanks that held water during the 50's drought go dry, tanks are no longer a good investment, if you have a water table under your property a well is the way to go, good clean water. I have destocked to about a 1/3 of stocking capacity and planted improved bluestem grasses , also try to stockpile grass for winter feed to reduce hay cost, feed liquid protein with the dry grass. After 50 years in the business starting to get discouraged with the whole thing.

I never really put a whole lot of thought into this, but I guess I'm pretty lucky after all to have a little river on my east boundry. Tho my cows will never drink from that channel, 3-4 thousands acres of govt land to the west and nw drain across my property into that river, and I get to capture some of it in my ponds.
Some years, I have to accept the flooding that comes with that, but most years it's a +

fitz":2k2atxpt said:
skyhightree1":2k2atxpt said:
We are having the wettests summer every pretty much atleast 5 inches of rain a week.

:???:
Didn't realize the weather was that much different from here to there.

fitz

Yes sir I got ponds in my bean fields lol

cowboy43":37urupzf said:
Seems like we have been in and on and on drought since 1996, tanks that held water during the 50's drought go dry, tanks are no longer a good investment, if you have a water table under your property a well is the way to go, good clean water. I have destocked to about a 1/3 of stocking capacity and planted improved bluestem grasses , also try to stockpile grass for winter feed to reduce hay cost, feed liquid protein with the dry grass. After 50 years in the business starting to get discouraged with the whole thing.

I have four stock tank's one is 40 feet deep and one 25 foot deep.
Fall's Branch is a spring fed creek with about 20 spring's feeding it that runs through my place, went dry in the drought of 1910, 2011 and again in 2013.
I also destocked by 70% as well as most other's here, many just plain quit cashed out and are not getting back in. I was in the the feed store the other morning having coffee with the guy's several other's and I stated this is getting to be old were talking about getting out as well. I will keep a few till I die.