Big trees

Help Support CattleToday:

The biggest cedar I fell was over 13 feet on the butt. The biggest Doug Fir was 10' 8" inside the bark and I think it had about 12 inches of bark. Where are you at? Those are some pretty nice sticks.
I'd sure have to get a longer bar for my saw.

The biggest cedar I fell was over 13 feet on the butt. The biggest Doug Fir was 10' 8" inside the bark and I think it had about 12 inches of bark. Where are you at? Those are some pretty nice sticks.
That's 13 foot diameter? What did you use to fell it Dave? most chainsaws i know might reach 4 feet....that's 8 feet cut range. Do they make a 6' bar and chain? I saw your answer above..thanks!

The vast majority of the time I ran a 36 inch bar. Ran a 42 inch some. You can cut a pretty big tree with a 42 if you know what you are doing. I have run a 60 inch bar. They are a pain in the tail to fall with.
Actually...thinking about it a 16" to 18" chainsaw can cut down a 13 foot wide tree...you just keep circling it with a 4 to 5 foot high cut pattern and take out incredible wide 18" wedges into the next wedges...lol Lots of wedging firewood that you need to keep moving out of your way.

That's 13 foot diameter? What did you use to fell it Dave? most chainsaws i know might reach 4 feet....that's 8 feet cut range. Do they make a 6' bar and chain? I saw your answer above..thanks!
I had said earlier that the 13 foot cedar was burnt out in the center. I fell it with a 42 inch bar. I fell a lot of 8 and 9 foot trees with a 42 inch bar. A 60 inch bar is a pain to work with because they are long enough that when laid flat they droop. So you have to feed them into the cut to make it flat.

Actually...thinking about it a 16" to 18" chainsaw can cut down a 13 foot wide tree...you just keep circling it with a 4 to 5 foot high cut pattern and take out incredible wide 18" wedges into the next wedges...lol Lots of wedging firewood that you need to keep moving out of your way.
Something similar to what you are thinking. It is called blocking out. But you don't go around the tree doing that unless you are suicidal. You reach in from the undercut side and cut out the heart of the tree. Not something to try at home. It is best left to professionals.

3rECze5.jpg

As Dave says those big bars can be hard to handle. I have a couple with 36" bars which adds a lot of weight.

Here is one of my nose heavy 660s wearing a 36" bar.

lZdSsZv.jpg

Here is my 880 which is the biggest saw made currently beside the littlest. Just the powerhead weight 25 pounds not counting a big bar and power wise like carrying around a riding mower.

Y5h2bl4.jpg

Here are a few of my 066s/MS660s. The 4 legged one is not 4-sale.

AaBjsYT.jpg
Apparently you are a Stihl man. Me also, been running them for 45 years.

The vast majority of the time I ran a 36 inch bar. Ran a 42 inch some. You can cut a pretty big tree with a 42 if you know what you are doing. I have run a 60 inch bar. They are a pain in the tail to fall with.
Been cutting logs for almost fifty years.used to run a 16" bar, now I'm up to a 20" bar. admittedly, the biggest trees I cut are 2.5 to 3'. Kinda funny, the older I get the longer my bar gets.

As Dave says those big bars can be hard to handle. I have a couple with 36" bars which adds a lot of weight.

Here is one of my nose heavy 660s wearing a 36" bar.

lZdSsZv.jpg

Here is my 880 which is the biggest saw made currently beside the littlest. Just the powerhead weight 25 pounds not counting a big bar and power wise like carrying around a riding mower.

Y5h2bl4.jpg

Here are a few of my 066s/MS660s. The 4 legged one is not 4-sale.

AaBjsYT.jpg
Try a 075 with a 36 inch bar. And then run up and down hills all day. Especially steep hills. You will be in shape in no time....... When the 056 and then the 064 and the 066 came out it was amazing how light a chain saw could be.

Try a 075 with a 36 inch bar. And then run up and down hills all day. Especially steep hills. You will be in shape in no time....... When the 056 and then the 064 and the 066 came out it was amazing how light a chain saw could be.
I have been a hold of an 075 before and it is like carrying a 12" cinder block around, but a torque monster.

I had said earlier that the 13 foot cedar was burnt out in the center. I fell it with a 42 inch bar. I fell a lot of 8 and 9 foot trees with a 42 inch bar. A 60 inch bar is a pain to work with because they are long enough that when laid flat they droop. So you have to feed them into the cut to make it flat.

Something similar to what you are thinking. It is called blocking out. But you don't go around the tree doing that unless you are suicidal. You reach in from the undercut side and cut out the heart of the tree. Not something to try at home. It is best left to professionals.
Exactly...I'd have half my body... the critical half inside the tree with my 18" chainsaw...lol. They'd only find my legs untouched in perfect condition outside the base of the tree.

When I was just a kid my father's buddy had a John Deere model chain saw. That thing must have weighed 25 pounds.

When I was just a kid my father's buddy had a John Deere model chain saw. That thing must have weighed 25 pounds.
An 075 weighed 25 pounds. That is just the power head empty. Add the bar and chain. They held a quart of gas and a pint of chain oil. All totaled they had to be about 30 pounds. Funny I never thought anything about it at the time but I was in mighty good shape back then.

This is my present firewood saw. It is a Stihl 462 with a 32 inch bar. The 30+ year old Stihl 066 just developed too many issues to continue use. That juniper stump is 44 inches across at the widest spot. That limb just above the saw was over 16 inches on the first cut.

PA273058.JPG

Latest posts