Big teats

Help Support CattleToday:

Keep or sell due to large teats?

• Keep?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
She's a good cow and I don't have to put any extra work into her or her calves. If she loses another quarter, I've got at least 4 other cows that will pick up the calf in the pasture.

I do have the cow's first calf. That calf is now a cow herself raising her second calf. Number 2 is even more docile, but no bad teats.

Dusty Britches":2l0ng2mi said:
She's a good cow and I don't have to put any extra work into her or her calves. If she loses another quarter, I've got at least 4 other cows that will pick up the calf in the pasture.

I do have the cow's first calf. That calf is now a cow herself raising her second calf. Number 2 is even more docile, but no bad teats.

Then I would suggest you keep her. I just don't want to risk it any more. I too have kept them with 2 quarters down but it will eventually catch up with me so no more. I guess you have dairy cattle? They are pretty good about accepting orphans.

I hate admit it but I own a few with large teats and I've had no problem with them so far, but if it becomes a problem they will grow wheels. On the flip side I did keep a heifer from one of them and she has a nice tight bag and raises a nice calf. This business is like any other, there's just not too many absolutes about it.

i voted for sell. imagine that.

as long as the calves are nursing by themselves, let her stick around if she does a good job. they will normally nurse the smaller ones and have no problems and then move on to the big ones if they are still working. The problem(s) with big teats besides calves not being able to suck on them is b/c of that they tend to get mastitis in them and they keep getting a little bigger each year at calving. then the cows start stepping on them and you have to doctor them when they get infected. so in my opinion big teats are a nuisance and should be sold and although they may not show back up in the heifer, they are still lurking in the gene pool.
if you are considering selling her, now or in the near future (like spring) is a good time to do it in my opinion.

What about calving in the spring when the grass is lush & green? some old timers say that will blow a teat out quick i was wondering on your real heavy milkers could this be right it makes sense in some ways. i got two full sisters one is 14 years the other 13 the older one front two teats are large and have been for some time she had her 1st calf in the spring cant remember on the younger gonna have to check my records but i think it was early summer but her teats and udder or near perfect no problems there or other factors im gonna stop for awhile :stop:

Dusty:

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder....maybe they need to see a photo to get a better idea.....but I'm with ya. Sounds like similar cattle. I didn't vote though. Not qualified.

The differance as I see it is Bez's cow is older than the hills and is still producing in more than one way. The thing with your cow is mainly her age as far as I'm concerned. A 5yr old should be in her prime and have a near perfect udder. So my vote is sell. As for Bez's cow my vote is still keep until she dies.

Or you can simplify things, like I do, if ya like her, keep her, if'in ya don't, then sell the ol' screw, kinda makes things more simple huh? :idea:

I have a cow I raised from a bottle some time ago, I think way back when Adolf Hitler was still in leiderhosen, anyways, the old biddy gives me very good calves every year, but also gets milk fever at least once to boot, has a bag as big as a volkswagon,with teats that almost scrape the ground, and has has grown spoiled as all get out, and to make things even worse, is a hog at the feed trough, and has gotten a right bitchy atitude this past year, (might have something to do with having at least 4 calves attached to her almost 24/7 for several months.) She no doubt is a lot of work for a couple of months just after her calf is born.

BUT, I like her, she pays for herself and then some,and I will likely keep her until she gets much worse, OR I can about count the days she has left. She should have been culled this year, or last, or even the one before that, but it just aint hapnening , ya see, cus....I like her. Kinda like a wife, she grows on ya. :cboy:

Dusty Britches":vwpv9ebu said:
I don't keep replacement heifers. Every calf gets sold at weaning. I'm confused. Why the different advice? What did I miss?

Nothing to be confused about. You asked, I answered. Based on your description, if it was my cow I would sell her. It's your cow, do what you want.

Lee

flaboy":3vaza1lp said:
I guess you have dairy cattle? They are pretty good about accepting orphans.

Nope, these mothers are Brangus.

I think I may keep the cow and reassess her like the rest of the herd every 6 months. My goal is to never let a cow die on the place. In the end, it is a lot less hassle and a lot more profitable to load them up for the sale barn.

Interesting. I have only had a few beef cows that would nurse something other than her own.

Dusty Britches":1nky0e5h said:
flaboy":1nky0e5h said:
I guess you have dairy cattle? They are pretty good about accepting orphans.

Nope, these mothers are Brangus.

I think I may keep the cow and reassess her like the rest of the herd every 6 months. the place. In the end, it is a lot less hassle and a lot moreMy goal is to never let a cow die on profitable to load them up for the sale barn.
Thats a heck of a goal i dont know a cattleman yet thats acheived that one :(

i vote sell because the problem will only get worse. i sold mine this year, same ol'story.1st year one big one, not a problem then two, bigger every year, last year three and i didn't want to have to worry anymore. the calf always got all four by tha 2nd week and she raised a good calf. i don't want to have get her up or the calf to not be able to get one and get weak.

I'd keep her. I've got a couple just like her, so I'm following the same advice that I'm giving you. Mine have been on the cull list for two or three years and keep getting scratched off because of the price of calves. Once calves get cheap again, they're gone. Admittedly, killing cows will probably be a little cheaper then, but so will replacements. I figure that I can put up with those kind for $6-700 calves when it isn't worth it to me for $400 calves.

Latest posts