BIG old gas engines

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
Anyone have any of the old big engines around of the past. Hall-Scott, Budda, Wakishaw? I probably spelled them all wrong but if you have any of these you'll know them. A friend of mine said in Montana he worked with an out fit that had a 800cid Hall-Scott that was a 6cylinder. Got a mile and a half to the gallon. He said it would stick a flame out the tip of the stack at night. :D That is what I call a hoss!

My dad had a ford with a 460 and striaght pipes that would do that. I got caught one night turning the lights off to look when a deputy saw me . :stop:

Scotty

Scotty":3do0urum said:
My dad had a ford with a 460 and striaght pipes that would do that. I got caught one night turning the lights off to look when a deputy saw me . :stop:

Scotty

Thats what I got for a motor in my old water truck.Pass everything ,but the gas station.

Scotty":2zqlv6ww said:

Scotty

Yep, had a Ford 460 one time. It kept warping the exhaust manifolds. Seems it was a common problem on that motor. It would shoot flames out between the manifold and head. :lol: I switched to diesels and will never go back. I have convinced several of my buddies to go diesel who said "I only buy gas motors". They now tell me how much they love the diesel and don't know why they waited so long. ;-)

Remember riding in a candy apple red, dual chrome stack International Harvester short logger of my dads that had the 549 in it. Sitting in the cab barely able to put my feet on floor when it was time to get the logs to the yard is a fond memory.

I've owned two 460's, both were trouble free. A '79 and a '90. The '90 actually wasn't bad on fuel milaege; had fuel injection, overdrive, and 3:55 rear end. Averaged about 13-14 on the highway. This truck with over 200,000 is still pulling trailer loads of cabinets for my old boss who bought it. The '79 got 9.

Had a 400 big block aftermarketed into a '60 Ford pickup.