Big neck on bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
my 4 year old bull is limping . tryed to get him in the head gate to see if there is something in his hoof but ,BUT his neck is so big that we could not lock the head gate on him. he is a black angus and it is mating season most of my cows are coming or have just been in heat. do bullS go in a rut like deer? will his neck ever get thiner? do they make bigger head gates for bulls mine is all the way open and no dice.

when we work bulls one person holds the head gate shut while work him. they don' shrink that i have ever seen. i have done some bulls just standing in the alley they just don't fit most squeeze chutes or head gates.

most bull have necks so big an thick.that you cant shut the head gate on them.the thick neck just means your bull is muscled in the neck.

ALACOWMAN":3l2co97j said:
just a sign he's producing plenty of testosterone. may have to use a bull lead on him. if you need him stable

Yep, and that is a very good thing too!

Our chute is set up so we can run a pipe behind a bull and keep him from backing out of the head gate. Cows generally aren't a problem, but to be safe, we usually put the bar behind them, too.

Our chute is an old WW that we can take the pins out of the head gate, and they will expand enough to catch most bulls. Have a couple that their necks are too big that it still won't close on them. We always place a metal bar behind the bull, wether we catch his head or not.

Secondly, if he is limping, he is more than likely not servicing any cows. Unless you have observed him servicing cows, you might need to get a loaner bull until yours gets over his injury.

Unless your going to work on his head no need to catch his head. Put a good pipe behind him. Still gonna be a chore working on a bull's foot.

Thanks for all the replys. I did get to wash off the foot and clean out between his toe but i couldn`t get his hoof up to check it. the pipe sounds like the way to go that should keep him wear I want him. thanks again

I got rid of a automatic headgate a few years ago, I wish I hadn't, it was the one the big necks would get caught in, it was probably painful on them, but it worked, the manual gates we have if you don't get it just right behind the ears, which is very hard to do, but these folks are telling you right, with the pipe. I hope you all the luck. We would have to take a sledge hammer to get the gate open n loose from his neck, so that was the reason to sell it, just afraid it may do too much damage one day, but it was nice then.

buckwheat

Latest posts