Big name sale cows and bull and prefix on cows

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I just got some more sale catalogs in the mail and have started noticing that many of the pedigrees don't have the owners prefix on the dams side except for the dam. If you had been in the business for 15-20 years wouldn't you have at least keept some of your own genetics and tried with them? I dont know a whole lot about this but I would want some of my cows as granddam and great granddam. I know the bull side will vary a great deal with A-I service and embryo work.

I have also noticed many dispeasal sales lately. Some buy many bigger breeders whats up? High feed costs or just time to get out.

OH forgot to mention Hereford sales. JHH

Even the big names do buy outside genetics at times. Frequently after a couple of calves they'll sell the ones that aren;t orinally from their herd so they won;t have their herd prefix.

Lot's of recreaters out there and very few breeders.
All it takes is money to be a recreater,you might have to know a little about what your doing to be a true breeder.
You don't need big name cows you need good cows(that might be big name cows or it might not).Just find a couple guys that have same ideas as you.That might be harder than it sounds.

I got the express sale book yesterday most of the heifers aren't even out of exar cows,I'm sure it tells the wonderous story in there of how long Funk has had angus cows I didn't bother to read it though.The point is it's just big money takeing the avg. guy for a ride and other big money tradeing cows.So many buy into the hype myself included when I started,but most don't think about genetics when you have free steaks,shoe shines,booze,live entertainment,pbr riders,miss america and more they just want to be part of the fun.I've hauled cows out of their sales and have enjoyed the free party while waiting to load(thank you Mr.Funk).

alot of the big name herds spend years building their herd an name up.then when they have the herd name an rep they sell the herd out.alot of big name breeders buy outside genetics.an they sell alot of them in their sales.it takes 3 to 5yrs before breeders have their prefixes on home bred cattle.i know itll take me 3yrs to get my prefix on some cattle.

May not be many more express sales rumor has they is a divorce in the works down there. Have not saw anything from express that tickles my fancy in a long time. But they sure throw a big bash at their sales.

This is a very interesting and eye-opening thread for fairly new breeders in the business! . . .and for experienced breeders as well! It points out the importance of what I have been telling Ranchers and Farmers for many years - LEARN THE BU$INE$$ - from the big things to the little things. Don't just guess. Ask if you are not sure of the answers.

EAT BEEF has hit the nail on the head regarding the "recreaters" vs. real breeders! The beef business, just like every enterprise in the world, is comprised of very intelligent and 'aware' operators, and sometimes WHO you know is as important as WHAT you know. Of course, how you USE that knowledge will determine how successful you might be in the long run!

It is important for a successful beef herd to become established correctly at the very beginning, whether it is to be a cow-calf operation or a seedstock business. It is vital for one to NOT become blinded by the hoopla, razzle-dazzle and razz-ma-tazz of some breeder's doing :banana: SALESMANSHIP :banana: spectacles and pageantry, but instead - be well-enough INFORMED about the cattle that you need to be able to see through the fluff and dog-and-pony shows to not be fooled into buying something that you don't want and shouldn't use!

HOW does one achieve that knowledge and ability? Read, Learn and Study pedigrees, catalogs, EPD's, phenotypes, and Market reports - habitually! Subscribe to periodicals which will help the learning curve to accelerate and your confidence in your abilities to become secure and solid!

Rely on people who KNOW what they are talking about - and check out their advice so that you KNOW that THEY know! The CattleToday Forum is a good place to start!

DOC HARRIS

Red Bull Breeder":thnl27qr said:
May not be many more express sales rumor has they is a divorce in the works down there. Have not saw anything from express that tickles my fancy in a long time. But they sure throw a big bash at their sales.

What happened? Somebody get caught with Miss America? :lol2:

DOC HARRIS":312spqzs said:
This is a very interesting and eye-opening thread for fairly new breeders in the business! . . .and for experienced breeders as well! It points out the importance of what I have been telling Ranchers and Farmers for many years - LEARN THE BU$INE$$ - from the big things to the little things. Don't just guess. Ask if you are not sure of the answers.

EAT BEEF has hit the nail on the head regarding the "recreaters" vs. real breeders! The beef business, just like every enterprise in the world, is comprised of very intelligent and 'aware' operators, and sometimes WHO you know is as important as WHAT you know. Of course, how you USE that knowledge will determine how successful you might be in the long run!

It is important for a successful beef herd to become established correctly at the very beginning, whether it is to be a cow-calf operation or a seedstock business. It is vital for one to NOT become blinded by the hoopla, razzle-dazzle and razz-ma-tazz of some breeder's doing :banana: SALESMANSHIP :banana: spectacles and pageantry, but instead - be well-enough INFORMED about the cattle that you need to be able to see through the fluff and dog-and-pony shows to not be fooled into buying something that you don't want and shouldn't use!

HOW does one achieve that knowledge and ability? Read, Learn and Study pedigrees, catalogs, EPD's, phenotypes, and Market reports - habitually! Subscribe to periodicals which will help the learning curve to accelerate and your confidence in your abilities to become secure and solid!

Rely on people who KNOW what they are talking about - and check out their advice so that you KNOW that THEY know! The CattleToday Forum is a good place to start!

DOC HARRIS

I agree with you Doc, but it's really hard to know who is who when you first get started. You want to believe in the big name breeders that have been successful too, but after that last EPD update it kinda makes me take a second look, some didn't fair too well. Sometimes you just have to dive in and see where it takes you! :dunce:

It's really hard to know who is who when you first get started. You want to believe in the big name breeders that have been successful too, but after that last EPD update it kinda makes me take a second look, some didn't fair too well. Sometimes you just have to dive in and see where it takes you! :dunce:[/quote]

When we first started in the Hereford business we paid $$$$ for embryos we never got from a big name breeder (just got the catalog, having a sale soon). Of course we tried to get them, but never did. Didn't leave a real good taste in my mouth and will not use any of their bulls ever. You want to trust people to their word but that doesn't always happen.

Latest posts