big heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Again this year a heifer takes the title of heaviest weaning weight. Same momma cow. She has weaned the biggest calf for the last 5 years whether bull or heifer. This year's heifer weighed 774 lbs at 6.5 months old. I'll post averages tomorrow. My Fortune x Atlas bred bull calf weighs 540 lbs already at just over 4 months if age. I can't wait to see what he will weigh at 6.5 months. No grain just milk and grass.

That is impressive, especially on a heifer calf! I have a couple steers at about 4 1/2 months old that I figure are somewhere in the 500s as well, I'd like a whole herd of cows like Lazyboy's momma... She has done well right from the get-go, her first calf was a steer and he weaned at 675, next was a heifer with the same weaning weight, now this guy that looks like 750 is well within his reach for 205 days.

sometimes you stop caring too much about how much they eat when you have nice calves to show for it.. there's just some satisfaction about it!

Heifers averaged 665.5 lbs and bulls averaged 711 lbs. Ages ranged from 5.5 to 7 months.

Just for the record Poopy Head (there is a thread on him) weighed 741 lbs. I think he is 6 months old or very close.
I calculated that my Fortune x Atlas bull calf has averaged 3.48 lbs per day since birth on just milk and grass if my calculations are right. He weighed 74 lbs at birth so deduct that from 540 and that is 466 lbs of weight gained in 134 days. He still has keeper written all over him.

Workinonit Farm":37q40eet said:
Wow. :eek: Pretty darned impressive there Hoss. You must be doing something right.

Katherine

It is out of necessity really. I do not have the land to raise volume so I had to concentrate on genetics to get the most performance I can. The last two or three years I have had good grass. If this winter had not been as hard I think the numbers would be somewhat better though I am not complaining :D

I've been working 14 hour days since Tuesday. I will try and get pics tonight or Friday night.

Atlas x Fortune pure bred at 4.5 months. He weighs about 540 lbs. I am excited about how he is developing on just grass and milk.

Very nice calves. They would work in any commercial program for sure.

Latest posts