Big cats

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, last week my neighbor saw a very skinny looking cougar across the pagewire fence from her dogs...

Today I find one of my cows on the wrong side of the fence, bottom 2 strands were broken.. The bottom strand NEVER gets broken from them just fiddling, rubbing, and being a general PITA.. It sure sounds to me like they put the run on something, and they're plenty used to coyotes I doubt they would go through the bother with them.. the cow was Cenci, a stout cow that's built like a brick shythouse, and with 1/4 Saler blood and knowing how her mother was protective, I have little doubt she'd get steamed up about an intruder like that. I also know that I wouldn't want her mad at ME.

Keeping the rifles loaded for sure.

Nesikep":3ss1dtd6 said:
Well, last week my neighbor saw a very skinny looking cougar across the pagewire fence from her dogs...

Today I find one of my cows on the wrong side of the fence, bottom 2 strands were broken.. The bottom strand NEVER gets broken from them just fiddling, rubbing, and being a general PITA.. It sure sounds to me like they put the run on something, and they're plenty used to coyotes I doubt they would go through the bother with them.. the cow was Cenci, a stout cow that's built like a brick shythouse, and with 1/4 Saler blood and knowing how her mother was protective, I have little doubt she'd get steamed up about an intruder like that. I also know that I wouldn't want her mad at ME.

Keeping the rifles loaded for sure.
Hope that he doesn't hurt any. We have lost calves to coyotes that get too hungry, and that is certainly not any fun.

The yotes around here are pretty good.. never had any problems with them other than with the hens..

Cats on the other hand.. I am much more wary, and the cows are far more concerned about them as well

It has been a tough winter. At least down here more snow than in years. That will make for hungry cats that end up closer to civilization.

Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

TCRanch":3feiig2i said:
Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

Makes me wonder how many cats you've walked under, and why didn't they pounce on you? Jogeephus, had one stalking him through the woods awhile back for a mile or so. I'd be in a panic.

I've heard more than one story of people hanging a deer in a tree, skinning it, taking a picture, and then seeing in the picture there was a cougar a couple branches above them and they never noticed.
There's all sorts of stuff we must be walking by and not notice... Just by watching the cows I see lots of stuff that I'd never see without them pointing it out to me

You guys don't have enough deer! Send the cat this way. Cats are hard to see they blend in so well. I have found plenty of tracks and kills but have only seen one in my life and nearly missed that one even though I was looking right at me.

TCRanch":27up5j2d said:
:shock: Yikes, I didn't know they stashed them in trees. Makes me think of that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Neighbor thinks one got a calf about a month ago.Serious business.

Nesikep":3kusizes said:
I've heard more than one story of people hanging a deer in a tree, skinning it, taking a picture, and then seeing in the picture there was a cougar a couple branches above them and they never noticed.
There's all sorts of stuff we must be walking by and not notice... Just by watching the cows I see lots of stuff that I'd never see without them pointing it out to me
Ditto, just by watching the cows they alert you to a lot. Sounds like Cenci is kickin butt! Maybe cat will move on.

reeler":ayvi3fp8 said:
Nesikep":ayvi3fp8 said:
Ditto, just by watching the cows they alert you to a lot. Sounds like Cenci is kickin butt! Maybe cat will move on.

Double ditto. We were moving the bred heifers the other day and all of the sudden they just froze, hair on the back of their necks stood up. Turned out to be a nasty armadillo but they saw or sensed it immediately while I had no clue.

Nesikep":2cqvhjip said:
The yotes around here are pretty good.. never had any problems with them other than with the hens..

Cats on the other hand.. I am much more wary, and the cows are far more concerned about them as well
Ahh yes. Bez's old 'good coyote/bad coyote' thing.
I wonder how Bez is doing nowadays??

TCRanch":3jaak759 said:
Double ditto. We were moving the bred heifers the other day and all of the sudden they just froze, hair on the back of their necks stood up. Turned out to be a nasty armadillo but they saw or sensed it immediately while I had no clue.
Your cattle are afraid of 'dillos?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

greybeard":3qt5acdy said:
TCRanch":3qt5acdy said:

Yes! Freaks them out when the 'dillos rear up on their hind legs & hop around and maybe they sense my pure hatred of them (they have destroyed our yard & the alfalfa field). But they completely ignore the wild turkeys that literally hang with the herd.

reeler":2zaep9h1 said:
TCRanch":2zaep9h1 said:
:shock: Yikes, I didn't know they stashed them in trees. Makes me think of that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Neighbor thinks one got a calf about a month ago.Serious business.

Happens to be "that movie" (Terminator) was filmed not too far from here (Hope BC)
Waterway65":2zaep9h1 said:
You guys don't have enough deer! Send the cat this way. Cats are hard to see they blend in so well. I have found plenty of tracks and kills but have only seen one in my life and nearly missed that one even though I was looking right at me.
We got plenty of deer.. I've seen upwards of 60 at a time in my neighbors fields.. only about 3 at a time at our place (usually a buck and a pair of does.. some years it's white tails, others it's mule deer.. The white tail are far prettier

My old cow Tizia was a "slow" looking cow.. big belly, never moved faster than she had to, but she saw *everything*.. especially buckets of course.. but she pointed out many bears to me.. it's not that she was overly concerned about them, but she lay there and chew cud, but never take her eyes (or ears) off them while the rest of the herd seemed oblivious
Cenci has that 1/4 Saler in her which is what I attribute the "attack mode" to.. Thankfully she knows the difference between the hand that feeds because I sure wouldn't want her to pin me

TCRanch":r8o3ns2r said:
greybeard":r8o3ns2r said:
TCRanch":r8o3ns2r said:
Yes! Freaks them out when the 'dillos rear up on their hind legs & hop around and maybe they sense my pure hatred of them (they have destroyed our yard & the alfalfa field). But they completely ignore the wild turkeys that literally hang with the herd.
We must have cows with kindred spirits-
Same here, hatin 'dillos & ignorin turkeys. My girls also dislike my domestic cats, & run them out of the pasture on a regular basis.The heifers are the most aggressive with kitties.

Nesikep":36n1ajrj said:
We got plenty of deer.. I've seen upwards of 60 at a time in my neighbors fields.. only about 3 at a time at our place (usually a buck and a pair of does.. some years it's white tails, others it's mule deer.. The white tail are far prettier

My old cow Tizia was a "slow" looking cow.. big belly, never moved faster than she had to, but she saw *everything*.. especially buckets of course.. but she pointed out many bears to me.. it's not that she was overly concerned about them, but she lay there and chew cud, but never take her eyes (or ears) off them while the rest of the herd seemed oblivious
Cenci has that 1/4 Saler in her which is what I attribute the "attack mode" to.. Thankfully she knows the difference between the hand that feeds because I sure wouldn't want her to pin me
Sure enjoy hearing about your cows. Cool names.Cows can be the best entertainment you could ever ask for-Or sometimes, the biggest pain in the rump.But it's rewarding most of the time.

TCRanch":1znytg5f said:
greybeard":1znytg5f said:
TCRanch":1znytg5f said:

Uh oh....You let 'em read the comic books huh?

Armadillo-Marvel-Comics-Rodriguez-e.jpg

Latest posts