big cats in Missouri

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I just viewed the topic new house cat, and it is freaky. A couple of weeks ago, the neighbor up the road, had a cow calf, it was dead, it was real cold that day so he left it, came back the next day to dispose of it, and it wasn't there. He found it up in the tree half eaten, everybody is thinking mountain lion/couger. The other night the boys went ovr to put hay out for the neighbor, and my oldest son saw what he thinks is a black panther, looked straight at him, then wallked away, and it wasn't dark out yet. Anybody know can cougars be black, or if there are known black panthers in Missouri, its got all the neighbors spooked, counting their animals every day now, etc...

GMN

big cats dont always wait till dark to come out.they wait till the light fades.an come out in the dusky evening.its a wonder your neighbor didnt go on a cat hunt.when he found the dead cow in the tree.

GMN":32xt08yh said:
I just viewed the topic new house cat, and it is freaky. A couple of weeks ago, the neighbor up the road, had a cow calf, it was dead, it was real cold that day so he left it, came back the next day to dispose of it, and it wasn't there. He found it up in the tree half eaten, everybody is thinking mountain lion/couger. The other night the boys went ovr to put hay out for the neighbor, and my oldest son saw what he thinks is a black panther, looked straight at him, then wallked away, and it wasn't dark out yet. Anybody know can cougars be black, or if there are known black panthers in Missouri, its got all the neighbors spooked, counting their animals every day now, etc...

GMN

Cougars can not be Black

What CB said.
There are mountain lions in MO. You're not all that far from us and we have several that travel through the area.

Unles someone put it in the tree as a gag, it had to be a mt. lion.

dun

It was a leopard, Mountain lions or cougars or puma's do not put their kills in trees.

mnmtranching":59vwlf2b said:
It was a leopard, Mountain lions or cougars or puma's do not put their kills in trees.

I had thought the same thing but we used to find where they had hauled them up onto rock shelves. Weren;t any trees in the area. Kind of thought maybe they would do the same thing if an easy tree was available.

dun

msscamp":kpinafmg said:
mnmtranching":kpinafmg said:

Yes, they do and, unless I'm misreading this article, there are black cougars in certain parts of North America.

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/djw2/panther.html

Good Job! msscamp, coming up with good info like that. 8) :D

can someone tell me the difference between a mountian lion, jaguar, cougar and leopard?

I've seen a photo of a jaguar on another thread and if that was indeed a cougar it looks just like our leopards. How big are they?

I didn't even know there were leopards outside Africa. How big are your leopards? Over here it varies greatly from area to area. Where i live they are about 45 kg (100lbs) and further north they can be almost double the size/weight.

KNERSIE":14xxxcf2 said:
can someone tell me the difference between a mountian lion, jaguar, cougar and leopard?

I've seen a photo of a jaguar on another thread and if that was indeed a cougar it looks just like our leopards. How big are they?

I didn't even know there were leopards outside Africa. How big are your leopards? Over here it varies greatly from area to area. Where i live they are about 45 kg (100lbs) and further north they can be almost double the size/weight.

I googled jaguars, and black panthers, it says there really is no such thing as a black panther, it is called a black leopard, but I always thought leopards had spots, and jaguars were only found in warmer climates, yet whatever my son saw was all black, with a long black tail, so it had to be one of these, panther, leopard or jaguar.

GMN

Mountain Lion and Cougars are the same animal with different names.

Jaguar is more or less the same animal as your leopard. I believe the jaguar is as a rule a little larger than your leopard and found in the Americas...

When we read ..between the lines..of what some of these animal activists have to say..be ready for anything when you walk out the door in the AM dark.

I see them purchasing predator animals raising them and then turning them loose. Black leopards are one that has been mentioned on the net.

I am convinced it is happening.

Latest posts