Big Butts

Help Support CattleToday:

Check out this portrait photograph of a Belgian Blue bull. If I'm reading the french caption correctly, he is a four year old 1015 kg animal.

Wow.

Can you list the website this was on please.

Also, are those big bald spots normal for this breed or is it some form of thyroid issue... or god forbid--lice ?

The big butts are OK, and I've got a Maine Angus that throws some big booties, but wouldn't you be more interested in the quanitity of rib and as opposed to butts? After watching my butcher carve out a steer for me, I keep my fingers crossed that the ribeyes and loin cuts will keep popping out instead. I'm sure the feeders will agree.

D.R. Cattle":3jnehb2y said:
but wouldn't you be more interested in the quanitity of rib and as opposed to butts?

The sad part is that width across the back while a decent indicator just doesn't alwasy hold up. I saw an ultrasound of a huge steer, not fat, six axe handles across the butt and a broad back to match. The ribeye was shaped like a comma. We're going to get our replacemnt yearlings ultrasounded this year, just to get a feel for what we;re working with. We have a pretty good feel from the carcass data back on multiple calves from some of these cows, but others are still in the wait and see category.

dun

dun":kkfcb1nj said:
D.R. Cattle":kkfcb1nj said:
but wouldn't you be more interested in the quanitity of rib and as opposed to butts?

The sad part is that width across the back while a decent indicator just doesn't alwasy hold up. I saw an ultrasound of a huge steer, not fat, six axe handles across the butt and a broad back to match. The ribeye was shaped like a comma. We're going to get our replacemnt yearlings ultrasounded this year, just to get a feel for what we;re working with. We have a pretty good feel from the carcass data back on multiple calves from some of these cows, but others are still in the wait and see category.

dun

Giving your customers what they want...now theres a noble idea.

dun":31t95mgj said:
D.R. Cattle":31t95mgj said:

dun
DR Cattle is right...more higher priced retail cuts is better. LONGER backs equals longer ribcuts. Dont you agree with that Dun??

I agree as long as you don;t sacrafice the surface area of the ribeye to get it. Doesn;t make much sense to have to cut a steak 4 inches thick to get a 1 pound steak.

dun

Jeanne - Yes, pics are decieving. I have one frontal of that Angus bull that looks just like LCC Major league's much publicized frontal pic.(I'ts out of focus slightly, though). I've been to a lot of bull sales and seen a lot of Angus bulls and this one ranks up there in the breed - take my word for it. I really like your photo of Macho-as-U(spelling?) How many pics of him did you have to take to get such a perfect one? :)

'Fleckvieh cattle are not known to have double muscling. Big butts do not necessarily mean double muscling'

Thanks for the correction, Jeanne. :D

See? Another day of livin' and learnin'... what's not to like about that?

Question for the Charolais experts... is the double muscling gene/trait actually found in Char cattle?

Take care.

Back in the late 70's-early 80's one of my uncles had a purebred Simmental herd. I think they were what is now known as Flecks, but then they were called Simmentals. They were yellow and white. I remember he drove to Beaumont, Tx. and bought 2 bulls. I don't know where he got the cows. Anyway, they were very large animals and the cows birthed very large calves. About the mid 80's my uncle got rid of the Simm bulls and got a Brahma to put on the simm cows. The resulting offspring made some of the best momma cows I have ever had the pleasure of working with. My Dad ended up with some of them and I sold the last one a couple of years ago. What I'm getting around to is that as these cows aged, they developed a large roll of muscle around their tailhead. Two or three years ago I had the vet out doing some testing and he remarked that that roll of muscle was a cut of meat that was in high demand in France. Now I notice that Belgian Blue pic was taken by a French photographer. Do Frenchmen have some kind of obsession with rump cuts? frenchie? :) anybody?

CattleAnnie":3me3sxxr said:
is the double muscling gene/trait actually found in Char cattle?

Take care.
Unless I was lied to at vet school, there are lines of charolais which indeed do have a true double muscled gene. And I've seen a couple which would certainly have qualified, and they were ones I brought into this world via c-section

V

4 year old Santa Butt.
045asa4yearold.jpg

I know I know..... you've seen it before... sorry.

Shouldn't Santa have more white on, funny looking cap an be sitting in a sleigh?

Belgium Blue and Piedmontese are double muscled breeds. Meat from double muscled breeds is usually very tender, but lean, not marbled and heavily discounted by the packers. The USDA grading system is based on marbling. Generally, the more marbling a side of beef contains, the higher quality grade it receives at the packing plant, and it is sold at a higher price than beef with less marbling. I have read (no link) that those bulging muscles tend to not marble, while the smoother muscle has more marbling, think Angus and some Simmental.

dun":218q1k51 said:
D.R. Cattle":218q1k51 said:

dun

You're right, dun. Our eyes can decive us. We used the New Design 036 bull for years. We tried to breed him to some of our thicker cows, but it didn't seem to matter. When the ultrasound data came back, his calves always had good ribeyes and marbling, though they might not have the most eye appeal.

ga. prime":3h9rkwx0 said:
Jeanne - Yes, pics are decieving. I have one frontal of that Angus bull that looks just like LCC Major league's much publicized frontal pic.(I'ts out of focus slightly, though). I've been to a lot of bull sales and seen a lot of Angus bulls and this one ranks up there in the breed - take my word for it. I really like your photo of Macho-as-U(spelling?) How many pics of him did you have to take to get such a perfect one? :)

We used up most of a 24 print roll. Got 6 that I have listed on my web site showing different angles.

dun":zjgqjurr said:
Shouldn't Santa have more white on, funny looking cap an be sitting in a sleigh?

I have been told I have a big butt, and I am called a honky. My mother doesn't have a big butt and my father doesn't have a big butt. Look just like my father and my parents bought milk at the store. I don't know. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":14920pic said:
ga. prime":14920pic said:

We used up most of a 24 print roll. Got 6 that I have listed on my web site showing different angles.

You need to spring for a digital camara. With film and processing, if you take many photos it would probably pay for itself in short order. I never was much of a picture taker till I got this digital. Now I take them all the time, some good, most awful. But it doesn't cost a dime to look at them and decide they need to be deleted.

dun

Thanks for the info Vicky. Haven't heard much from you lately. Hope you're not too run off your feet with calving this year.

Jeanne, agree with dun on that one. I was a real photography nut, but hated the fact that out of a roll of film you were lucky to get two or three outstanding shots. Invested in a digital about four years ago and love it. You can edit cruddy shots and if you have one that you'd like a print of, can take it in on a disc to the developers and get it done there or print it out at home. Still use the old pentax, just not as frequently.

Take care.

Latest posts