Big beetle

Help Support CattleToday:

If that's a dung beetle you found something great.
Actually that is an eastern Hercules beetle. In the same family as dung beetles or as the old timers called them tumblebugs. I recently came across a tumblebug too, first one I'd seen in a few years.

Actually that is an eastern Hercules beetle. In the same family as dung beetles or as the old timers called them tumblebugs. I recently came across a tumblebug too, first one I'd seen in a few years.
Had to look that one up. Not a dung beetles. Pretty neat find though

I stopped by a friend's place near Gainesville FL a week ago and was fascinated by the amount and size of the dump beetles there. Cow piles were almost gone 2 days after the cows were in that paddock

I found one of those in the pool skimmer the other day. Left it there to scare the kids but I guess it found its way out. Ugly damn thing.

I stopped by a friend's place near Gainesville FL a week ago and was fascinated by the amount and size of the dump beetles there. Cow piles were almost gone 2 days after the cows were in that paddock
Used to see them pretty often here, but kind of rare nowadays.

The first time I saw one of these (the male) stuck on my porch window screen, I said WTF IS THAT?
dobsonfly.jpg
Dobson Fly but aren't really a fly.

(The male has the long pinchers just to hold the female while they are making whoopie)

The larval stage is found in or around water and is called a hellgramite. Supposedly good fish bait but I never tried them.
hellgramite.jpg

The first time I saw one of these (the male) stuck on my porch window screen, I said WTF IS THAT?
View attachment 6202
Dobson Fly but aren't really a fly.

(The male has the long pinchers just to hold the female while they are making whoopie)

The larval stage is found in or around water and is called a hellgramite. Supposedly good fish bait but I never tried them.
View attachment 6203
Great fish bait.

I found one of those in the pool skimmer the other day. Left it there to scare the kids but I guess it found its way out. Ugly damn thing.
The things you find in a pool skimmer, right...lol. The worst thing i found in our pool was a scorpion and it was walking on the floor of the pool. FOR DAYS!!!! I left one in a skimmer once to see how long it would live, i can tell you, a long time. God i hate those things...