big bale alfalfa hay

Help Support CattleToday:

jsramer

Reaction score
Have some big bale alfalfa hay that wanting to feed to my beef cows that normally get big bale fescue and liquid supplement. Any concerns with putting them out, dont have an unroller or any good way to limit feed. thanks in advance for your feedback.

jsramer":2g389klo said:
Have some big bale alfalfa hay that wanting to feed to my beef cows that normally get big bale fescue and liquid supplement. Any concerns with putting them out, dont have an unroller or any good way to limit feed. thanks in advance for your feedback.

I don't know how many cows you're talking about feedng, but if you are feeding big round bales of alfalfa or any other kind of hay, I think an unroller is one of the best investments you can make. It lets you feed hay just where you want to and gets good manure distribution by chnaging where you unroll every time.

It doesn't have to be one of those fancy DeWeze truck beds or anything like that. Just a simple 3-pt bar with hinged arms you can manually shove into the bale will work. I know guys who have made pretty good unrollers from scrap and had less than a hundred bucks in them. There also used to be a device called a tumble-bug (I think that's what it was called?) that you could pull with an ATV or small pickup to unroll bales. I haven't seen one of them for years.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

JRGidaho`":1t4zreo2 said:
There also used to be a device called a tumble-bug (I think that's what it was called?) that you could pull with an ATV or small pickup to unroll bales. I haven't seen one of them for years.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
They get discussed on here quite often.
I've been trying to find one of the unroller that is really more of an unwinder. It has a hydralic motor and the bale is turned from the end so that the stuff unwinds into a narrow row. Saw one once a couple of years ago and thought 500 bucks was too much. I would pay that in a skinny minute today to have one of them.

We have 120 cows but they are broke up into 4 groups of 30 on 4 different farms. If we were to put a big bale of alfalfa out to each group into one of the hay rings with the other rings having fescue in them; what are the risks to the cows, if any? Dont want to make any of them sick because these cows have never seen anything other than fescue in their life.
Thanks