Big baby girl!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
One of my best, old cows calved yesterday.. saw her thinking about it at noon, some contractions and the water broke at 3, didn't see feet so decided to grab the chains and go see what's up.. Big calf, a bit of manual pulling got her out in a timely fashion, Very cooperative cow, got right up and licked it clean in no time flat (She's the lickiest cow I have,.. EVERYONE gets a licking, myself included)
20 minutes later the calf was up and nursingIMG_20230326_163116_393.jpg
IMG_20230326_164224_634.jpg

Glad you were there to help them have a happy ending. If those older girls dont move along pretty quick once they start, something is usually up. Nice save. Good lookin calf.

Glad you were there to help them have a happy ending. If those older girls dont move along pretty quick once they start, something is usually up. Nice save. Good lookin calf.
yeah, usually the feet are there when the water breaks, especially if she's laying down and pushing.. I think she could probably have had it on her own, but would have been hard on both. I had a heifer calf born the day before, she's probably around 75 lbs and she just looks tiny in comparisonIMG_20230325_113350_882.jpg

I found out that my young bull did do some breeding last year before I sold him.. (his momma is the momma of the big girl).. I was giving Hannah's bull calf some scritches and he has horn nubbins.. Purebred bull is homo polled so there's only one way that happened.. The fur of that calf is really shiny and smooth, which is exactly what grandma looked like as a calf.. and there's a heifer with the same fur (the one peeing in the 4th pic) that makes me think she could be from that bull as well