Big Angus bull x Corriente Cow???

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up some Corriente cows 4 year olds for $300 each . Not pregnant. I have a huge black angus bull and 10 cows. My question is can a skinny butt Corriente handle an angus calf ? Anyone ever do this ? I need 500 pound weaning weights. The nutrition for the calves is on point thanks. I have included a pic of my bull. I am unsure of his calving ease due to just buying him. Thanks. Bull is 2 and a half about 1800 pounds and a neck like a Buffalo.

1982vett":1x09jdnt said:
Not knocking the bull, but Anyone want to lay odds on 500 lb weaning weights.....

Yea, I'll take that bet. As long as you wean em when they turn 3. :lol2:

No papers. I get 550-650 waeanong weights. Of course with synovex. Was using a much smaller Brangus bull before. Just figure it's a cheap buy and the little cows don't eat as much.

Easy for someone to say breed em. They don't have to worry about keeping the cow (small or not) for a year and get a dead calf - or dead cow and calf. Cheap can turn out expensive.
How much do these 4-yr old $300 cows weigh?

I use a 2,500 pound angus bull on my Mexican cows. Money makers.
500 pound wean weighs would be leaning on it a little, and it'd sure enough take some culling to keep a tight average. I have a few that wean giants, but definitely not all of them.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":bhbtfedq said:
Easy for someone to say breed em. They don't have to worry about keeping the cow (small or not) for a year and get a dead calf - or dead cow and calf. Cheap can turn out expensive.

How many have you had experience with? I have seen a lot of Longhorns and Corriente bred to huge Char bulls with no problems. The Longhorn has a way of keeping the babies small.

We always bought 3 strippers at the auction in December for $650 Ish range each. Sell them as pairs in March for $1,200 Ish. Let them graze on our alfalfa fields while we have them and some hay. That's worked so far. But we want to do more.

jehosofat":2jwak44p said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2jwak44p said:

How many have you had experience with? I have seen a lot of Longhorns and Corriente bred to huge Char bulls with no problems. The Longhorn has a way of keeping the babies small.
I do know that LH "limit" the size of their calf, no matter what they are bred to.
I am not familiar with Corriente cattle, but for $300 I was skeptic to what size they were no matter what they were. $300 sounds really really cheap.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":257dgse9 said:
jehosofat":257dgse9 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":257dgse9 said:

I do know that LH "limit" the size of their calf, no matter what they are bred to.
I am not familiar with Corriente cattle, but for $300 I was skeptic to what size they were no matter what they were. $300 sounds really really cheap.
Actually that's about what they bring through the stockyards... They get passed over by the buyers and the majority of the crowd... I've seen LH cows bring $175.00 a head few years back?..

are the calves going to be worth it? Are the buyers going to see the Corriente and not bid on them? Too big for roping calves, too skinny for feeders? I wouldn't worry about the bull being too big so much as the market for the resulting calves

We've had good results selling half corrientes. The few that have been off colored or plain ha e made excellent beef. Last year we used half Corriente bulls so the calves are a 1/4. Mist are good quality and showing decent growth. The half blood cows make great momma's. And weigh 1,209-1,275.

elkwc":1eao4o0y said:
We've had good results selling half corrientes. The few that have been off colored or plain ha e made excellent beef. Last year we used half Corriente bulls so the calves are a 1/4. Mist are good quality and showing decent growth. The half blood cows make great momma's. And weigh 1,209-1,275.
I know few posters on here are not fan of using longhorn x Angus or corriente x Angus bulls as breeding bulls but these composite bulls are getting some attention from commercial folks in recent years. Usually used as heifer bulls but the resulting calves will be 1/4 corriente or 1/4 longhorn so they are marketable calves.