Bez Caustic Dun

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred":1grx9p32 said:
Kids are brighter today than other generations. Also they have a broader education. And plenty of common sense.
How do you figure? Only thing I agree with out of that is the broader education, and I often see where that doesn't lead to brightness and defiantly not common sense.

Bez__":2nco5rrn said:
xbred":2nco5rrn said:
Kids are brighter today than other generations. Also they have a broader education. And plenty of common sense.

If you think that you must be one of them

Just sayin.....
I agree, and I'm one of them. But at 22 I realize most people from 18 to 35 are a bunch of morons.

I have worked around a lot of young guys who are very smart, work hard and get things done. Engineers, project managers, foremen, and craftsmen. I just completed a dormitory for Tulane University. The kids who moved in are respectful polite and very smart. My grandkids are much smarter than I was at their age. I see FFA kids on TV and they are well spoken and seem very intelligent. My grandkids work hard and respect adults and others as well as property. Maybe yall are hanging with the dumb ones but I can show u many kids who are smart and something to be proud if. LOVE YOU ALL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Bez__":1abea91d said:
xbred":1abea91d said:

If you think that you must be one of them

Just sayin.....

I would have to agree as I have read some of the books they use today.
My daughter is a school teacher and thinks today's curriculum is a way lacking.
I read one of the history books, it wasn't history but the PC version of history.

Pull out a tape measure when you want to be amazed.
I bet one out of ten can't read one. If you really want to confuse one pull out on in 32nd's 16ths and 8th's.
Nine times out of ten you would hear something like this 10 inches and three little marks.

I did not read the 4 pages, I just skimmed them so I hope I'm on base. I agree 100% we are dumbing down our kids, just try to get one to do a simple division problem with nothing but pencil and paper, say 156 divided by 12....., old school can do it in their head. Try the multiplication table in their head, my favorite job interview question is what is 4x13? They have no calculator, it must be down in their head. I simply ask them to give me the answer to "what is 4x13" and say nothing and only look at them until I get an answer. All it has shown me is our schools are wasting our children's brain ...... If they get the right answer the go to the front of the line, if they snap the right answer quickly we are now in a serious interview, meaning you already made a pay raise.... How good are you?

Sad state

Alan":26qh9fwy said:
I did not read the 4 pages, I just skimmed them so I hope I'm on base. I agree 100% we are dumbing down our kids, just try to get one to do a simple division problem with nothing but pencil and paper, say 156 divided by 12....., old school can do it in their head. Try the multiplication table in their head, my favorite job interview question is what is 4x13? They have no calculator, it must be down in their head. I simply ask them to give me the answer to "what is 4x13" and say nothing and only look at them until I get an answer. All it has shown me is our schools are wasting our children's brain ...... If they get the right answer the go to the front of the line, if they snap the right answer quickly we are now in a serious interview, meaning you already made a pay raise.... How good are you?

Sad state
Alan it's said...they now have classes in "calculator"....you can be a state champion in calculator...but can't operate a Big Chief tablet and #2 pencil. Not necessarily stupid. Just a lot of brain cells that have never been exercised.

My kids are way smarter than me, and yes I know that's not saying much. But 2 of them can speak 2 languages fluent, and my daughter can get by with a third. I have problems with English. Their just being taught a different way and different things. Sure don't want to be stuck in the woods and depend on them for my survival.

highgrit":danirkct said:
My kids are way smarter than me, and yes I know that's not saying much. But 2 of them can speak 2 languages fluent, and my daughter can get by with a third. I have problems with English. Their just being taught a different way and different things. Sure don't want to be stuck in the woods and depend on them for my survival.
You nailed what I was thinking. Kids are no dumber than they've ever been. Smarts are at least fairly heritable so we should be able to assume that kids would have intelligence relative to their parents. The problem is that they're being prepared for a world that is completely foreign to most of us on CT.

I think they're being well prepared for a world where there are only government jobs, and the gov't is OK with that, it's making room for them as fast as it can.
We're in trouble when there is nothing but gov't jobs, but if all the people are only trained for that kind of job, we're in trouble once again!

cow pollinater":1prekh40 said:
highgrit":1prekh40 said:
You nailed what I was thinking. Kids are no dumber than they've ever been. Smarts are at least fairly heritable so we should be able to assume that kids would have intelligence relative to their parents. The problem is that they're being prepared for a world that is completely foreign to most of us on CT.

Here in lies the problem very few procreater's are being parents today.
They are being raised in a day care and mom and dad spend very little actually parenting time with the children.
They eat in the car going from event to the next for the parent to drop them off at.
Yes intelligence is heritable it stills requires training and guidance in the right direction.

Good thread, and agree with most of the comments. Have experienced similar frustration with many of today's generation, and when I do run into the occasional exception it is refreshing if not sad how rare it is. A lot of it is due to the public school system, which bends to the unreasonable demands of foolish and emotionally retarded parents. The school administration is either tired of growing a pair and standing up to them, and/or they are restrained by the legal system, which means that it is the government which wants the type of mindless saps which are being created. Someone wrote that it is men behaving like women, and that is a very good point. The pendulum has swung from the male dominated mentality of the 50's to the pansy ass, emotionally frail crap today. Neither in itself is 100% right, we need a much better balance.
As to how this is related to cattle and farming, a lot of 4h programs are run by these Sallies who promote those idiotic ideals, such as every child getting an award just for showing up. That is just wrong in so many ways, not the least of which is the slap in the face for the children who actually do a lot of hard work and deserve to be recognized and awarded. I can't think of much less incentive for them to try to do their best. I used to judge more 4h shows, but now I refuse to do those which give a prize for every kid who shows up. Instead of wanting the judge to explain why one animal has better traits than another, they want you to say something nice about every stunted, out of condition, dirty animal that is entered. They got the wrong guy for that. I was ten years old once too, and I luckily was taught to recognize why I lost when I did. It didn't hurt my feelings that there were winners and losers, or make me go home crying to mommy so she could call up the fair board and chew them out because I didn't get a prize for not going out and tending my animals every day like I should, and like the winners did.

Latest posts