Beyond Meat (Fake Beef)

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:
cowrancher75 said:
raven..

you eat spinach for a week.. and see how you fall flat.

you eat beef for a week and see how you feel.

i've done it as an experiment. Maybe you should

lots of studies showing how beef increases intelligence // brain function // energy // etc

I like that type of experiment.

Regarding taste and eating experience. I think a lot of folks are missing the point. To feed a world where resources have to be affordable on an economic basis, technology and science can fabricate taste and texture. The issue is economics.

I don't want to feed the world, just the parts of it that can afford my product. I'm on the Branded bandwagon!

I fully agree with the Branded concept of a real beef experience in a high class restaurant. But there is another side to the coin. While the affluent population will always support some real beef production, the vast majority of the population will cross over to synthesized meats when the taste, texture and price all come together. The divide between the rich and the middle class is becoming a sharp contrast worldwide. Farm raised beef requires too many resources that will price real beef above the grasp of the middle and lower class. When that time comes and technology can provide a high protein, healthy product that has the taste and texture of real beef - price will become more of a factor than loyalty to beef.

Ron, while I hope you're wrong, I can actually see that potentially happening. Maybe not with most of "us", but the future generations. IF, taste, texture, and price ever come together.

BUT, I won't be a customer. I will go to straight fish, squirrels, and rabbits if I can't afford a hamburger.

JMJ Farms said:
Ron, while I hope you're wrong, I can actually see that potentially happening. Maybe not with most of "us", but the future generations. IF, taste, texture, and price ever come together.

BUT, I won't be a customer. I will go to straight fish, squirrels, and rabbits if I can't afford a hamburger.

Understand that I am not an advocate for that happening but I am a realist. There are some good minds at work who think it will.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:
cowrancher75 said:
raven..

you eat spinach for a week.. and see how you fall flat.

you eat beef for a week and see how you feel.

i've done it as an experiment. Maybe you should

lots of studies showing how beef increases intelligence // brain function // energy // etc

I like that type of experiment.

Regarding taste and eating experience. I think a lot of folks are missing the point. To feed a world where resources have to be affordable on an economic basis, technology and science can fabricate taste and texture. The issue is economics.

I don't want to feed the world, just the parts of it that can afford my product. I'm on the Branded bandwagon!

It's a safe bet to say that Ron is smarter than I am. I know about the benefits of spinach because I watched a lot of Popeye. In addition to spinach, wheatgrass shots are high up there on the bang for buck scale.

My question is this, for those that believe in evolution, wasn't it meat and cooking that got us to the place we are today instead of hanging from trees?

Watch a few episodes of Naked and Afraid to understand the importance of meat. It's fun to watch them lose 40 pounds in a month eating a worm and a a few shavings of coconut per day. They go batsh.t crazy for a hamburger when they are finally picked up by the crew.

Bright Raven said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Not all plant protien is the same.
Protien contained in cellulose, and lignin is 100% useless to the mongastric system. Spinach is high in cellulose.
Takes a rumminate to convert cellulose to protien.
Red meats are also high in vitamin B12, zinc, selenium, iron, niacin, vitamin B6, and contains all of the amino acids needed for body function.
Also animals fats are the best source for fats needed for heart function, and energy. Lot of plant fat is high bipass.

Of course the public will never hear about this, only the benefits of going vegan, as they starve to death

Quite right. But we are discussing this from too many undefined parameters. The protein is there, we need the technology to make it BIOAVAILABILE. I think I am taking a much longer view than most of the others who are on the thread.

It would be neat to invent a big contraption to process grass into energy to run the machine, and also convert it into a usable protein for humans to consume, and only for a few dollars a pound of protein.

Or you could use a cow. :lol:

************* said:
It's a safe bet to say that Ron is smarter than I am. I know about the benefits of spinach because I watched a lot of Popeye. In addition to spinach, wheatgrass shots are high up there on the bang for buck scale.

My question is this, for those that believe in evolution, wasn't it meat and cooking that got us to the place we are today instead of hanging from trees?

Watch a few episodes of Naked and Afraid to understand the importance of meat. It's fun to watch them lose 40 pounds in a month eating a worm and a a few shavings of coconut per day. They go batsh.t crazy for a hamburger when they are finally picked up by the crew.

You are getting lost in weeds. This is not about evolution. This is about food production. There is a lot of protein and other nutrients in plants but as Sim stated, it takes a ruminant to convert the cellulose and other compounds to a more bioavailable form. BUT, that comes with a price tag!!!!!

The cost to produce beef will only increase. A vast majority of Kentucky cattle producers do not raise cattle to make their living. They do it for the lifestyle. In my area, I am starting to see that trend change. Some are tired of the hard work, worry and weather for only a lifestyle. The cattle producers who stay with it are going to command a higher price for their beef. It becomes simple economics.

If you stop at that service station in Flemingsburg across from McDonald's, you can watch customers going in and buying hotdogs (processed food) that has been on a spit for 3 days. There are companies that are working on making a much more wholesome high protein food. Calling it fake meat is like calling those processed hotdogs fake meat. "Synthesized meat" is food! And it can be made more wholesome than processed hotdogs, cheap sausages, canned meats, and other processed meats that have Artificial flavor, tons of salt, and sugar added to make it taste good. Only to fill your arteries with sludge. You keep talking about rib steak and prime rib. Those families in your county that buy hotdogs at that store never eat a steak!

Beef might be around in 50 years and it might not. But in 20 years, beef will not compete with other food sources. It is economics. It comes down to this:

Cattle husbandry for the purpose of food production is too expensive.

Production of beef to satisfy the person who wants and can afford a rib Steak leaves a huge market for a cheaper high protein food that will fill the void when beef is too expensive.

Yes , the farmers markets and the farm to table BOOM that has been growing exponentially the last 10 years is just a fad and will soon go the way of the dodo bird. Its retarded to think that animal based protein will disappear.

the internet / e-readers / tablets / phones were going to end print media.

check out e-book purchases and see how thats working out.

cowrancher75 said:

And we had to save the trees and ban paper bags and plastic bags were the future. Well dam ,,,looks like the so called experts didn't know there azz from a hole in the ground. Just like now.

M-5 said:
cowrancher75 said:

And we had to save the trees and ban paper bags and plastic bags were the future. Well dam ,,,looks like the so called experts didn't know there azz from a hole in the ground. Just like now.

:clap:

The largest meat packing companies like Butterball, Tyson, Smithfield, etc are the ones that are investing in research on the synthesis of "meats" based on plant protein. To repeat, it is not going to occur over night. It will be based on simple, straightforward economics. It has nothing to do with "green policy" or "humane treatment" of animals. It is simply a matter of meat packers that realize they have to find a cheaper source of protein.

Capitalism and economics will dictate the outcome. It always does.

cowrancher75 said:

I don't know about the rest of society or what e-book sales are doing , but e-books is all I buy. Not to save the planet, but because they're so much easier to read. E-books cost more than printed books but they're worth it.

How about people that won't eat meat that has a bone attached to it? I know two people like that. Don't know what category they fall into.

I get headaches from trying to read e-books. Don't like the screen. I get headaches from much time on the computer also. I want a solid book in my hand and can put it down when I want. Plus, there was an article somewhere....Maybe on CT ..... about how when you "buy" things that are electronic, like e-books, and such; they do not really belong to you. Wish I could remember where I read it as it was a very interesting article about "ownership" and both printed material and things like songs that so many download.
One plus to a book on paper; it never needs a new battery or to be recharged. Granted, I need light to read it when it is dark out, but I ought to be sleeping more and reading less anyway.

Bright Raven said:
The largest meat packing companies like Butterball, Tyson, Smithfield, etc are the ones that are investing in research on the synthesis of "meats" based on plant protein. To repeat, it is not going to occur over night. It will be based on simple, straightforward economics. It has nothing to do with "green policy" or "humane treatment" of animals. It is simply a matter of meat packers that realize they have to find a cheaper source of protein.

The meat packing cabal is notorious for corrupt practices. Some of their actions would have made John Gotti blush with shame.

Regulatory capture isn't free market capitalism. Once the stranglehold of the meat packing cabal is disrupted by deregulation, which will happen, free market capitalism will dictate the outcome. The meat packer cabal will lose its influence over the industry, and no one will lament their inability to read the tea leaves, or the minds of mothers throughout the US.

Mother's, besides closely examining what they place on the table in front of their families more today than anytime in the past decade, have improving discretionary income (economic freedom). A polar force to decisions driven solely by price.

Smirnoff even sees what's happening.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/omg-gluten-free-and-non-gmo-smirnoff-collaborates-with-ted-danson-jenna-fischer-and-jonathan-van-ness-to-announce-smirnoff-no-21-vodka-is-now-non-gmo-300727720.html

Cornfed01 said:
Bright Raven said:

The meat packing cabal is notorious for corrupt practices. Some of their actions would have made John Gotti blush with shame.

Regulatory capture isn't free market capitalism. Once the stranglehold of the meat packing cabal is disrupted by deregulation, which will happen, free market capitalism will dictate the outcome. The meat packer cabal will lose its influence over the industry, and no one will lament their inability to read the tea leaves, or the minds of mothers throughout the US.

Mother's, besides closely examining what they place on the table in front of their families more today than anytime in the past decade, have improving discretionary income (economic freedom). A polar force to decisions driven solely by price.

Smirnoff even sees what's happening.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/omg-gluten-free-and-non-gmo-smirnoff-collaborates-with-ted-danson-jenna-fischer-and-jonathan-van-ness-to-announce-smirnoff-no-21-vodka-is-now-non-gmo-300727720.html

Yep. Capitalism is not for The Sisters of St. Mary's