Bevo XIV dead at 14 years age

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Bevo Was The University of Texas mascot, he was a 14 year old longhorn steer that had served 11 years in that position , he died today from cancer.

Heard he was sick last week. Sure didn't last long. Beautiful animal. Didn't realize he was so big though. They said he weighed over 2100 lbs. Don't know if they have young ones in training but bet they have a replacement before long. Condolences to all the Texas Longhorn fans out there.

The only report I read said Bevo was 14 and died of cancer. At 14 I would hope Texas has one or two longhorn steers in training for the "next steer up" replacement. I'm not much of a Texas fan, but I do hate to see any school lose a mascot...... At 14 and I'm guessing all the extra crap he was fed..... It happens.

wacocowboy":15gmpf4t said:
Since every vet I have met in Texas is from A&M was Bevo treated by an Aggie?
They never really mentioned where he was diagnosed. Don't know that they did any treatment as they knew right away it was terminal. In years past though Bevo has been sent to the A&M Veterinary Hospital for treatment of other problems. Betcha they guarded him with their lives too !!!!!

Workinonit Farm":3idkkyrs said:
He sure was a pretty one.

Anyone seen any pics of his replacement?
His name is Sunrise Studley. Lol. They don't have a replacement yet. They take care finding a replacement that is among other things really docile and able to be cool w 100,000 people screaming and that cannon going off too!

Kingfisher":306i7p1h said:
Workinonit Farm":306i7p1h said:
He sure was a pretty one.

Anyone seen any pics of his replacement?
His name is Sunrise Studley. Lol. They don't have a replacement yet. They take care finding a replacement that is among other things really docile and able to be cool w 100,000 people screaming and that cannon going off too!

I bet it is not easy to find a steer that is cool just to stand or lay around for a ball game with everything going on.

wacocowboy":djt68o98 said:
I bet it is not easy to find a steer that is cool just to stand or lay around for a ball game with everything going on.

Waco, how would you like to be one of those so-called "Cowboys" who run around the field holding on to the rope on that buffalo the University of Colorado's brings to the game. That oughta raise your BP. :lol2: :lol2:

No thanks I am not young and dumb anymore. Somewhere on you tube there is a video of that buffalo getting a bit out of hand and giving those handlers a heck of a workout.

wacocowboy":14nvmzeg said:
No thanks I am not young and dumb anymore. Somewhere on you tube there is a video of that buffalo getting a bit out of hand and giving those handlers a heck of a workout.
I can believe it. Those things are about half nuts to begin with.

Training Bevo should be easy. Laying around chewing your cud comes natural. :mrgreen:

TexasBred":1kb8e8fr said:
wacocowboy":1kb8e8fr said:
I can believe it. Those things are about half nuts to begin with.

Training Bevo should be easy. Laying around chewing your cud comes natural. :mrgreen:

I never saw the point of having a live animal on the sidelines. If we are going to have live animals let's make it interesting bring Baylor's bears, LSU,s tigers, and Florida's gator and not in a cage.

wacocowboy":2x8lpwnm said:
I never saw the point of having a live animal on the sidelines. If we are going to have live animals let's make it interesting bring Baylor's bears, LSU,s tigers, and Florida's gator and not in a cage.
I've never seen the point in all the hype about college football!