Better week at the sale barns.

Help Support CattleToday:

Elder Statesman

Reaction score
Just read the sale reports from last weeks sales in Salina, St. Marys, and Manhattan, KS. A little better prices for heavier steers and cows than some of you have been reporting from your areas. The icy weather prior to and during the St. Marys and Manhattan sales evidently didn't keep the buyers away.

900-1050 lb. steers were bringing $90-92 cwt. at all three sales. They were black, bwf, herf and mixed. Color didn't seem to matter. A lot of groups of 20-60 head.

At Manhattan's monthly special cow sale, 3 groups (5 head each) of fall pairs brought $1400, 3 other groups of 5 brought $1200. Over 150 head of spring bred cows brought $1100 or better.

Well those prices sound a lot better. Those steer prices are comparable to Alberta...only problem is our dollar is only worth 82 cents so in reality we are getting about 70 cents US on 1000 lb. steers!
Your bred cow prices seem to be very good? $1100 for bred cows? Up here you could buy good young bred cows in that $900 range or US dollar of about $720! Maybe you boys looking for cows should be up here buying?

Well I'm fixin' to send the rest of these calves the week after the first.. should be interesting to see what they do. I'm afraid they'll be cheap here, since no one has any oats or winter pasture thanks to the drought. But they've gotta go!

Does anyone think there would be any market for a couple of heifers advertised in the paper? Heifers that are really too nice to go to the auction barn for feeders? I have about six that are very nice.. 1/2 simmy x 1/2 brahman.

TheBullLady":28zdyuqr said:
Well I'm fixin' to send the rest of these calves the week after the first.. should be interesting to see what they do. I'm afraid they'll be cheap here, since no one has any oats or winter pasture thanks to the drought. But they've gotta go!

Does anyone think there would be any market for a couple of heifers advertised in the paper? Heifers that are really too nice to go to the auction barn for feeders? I have about six that are very nice.. 1/2 simmy x 1/2 brahman.

I figgured you got a drought busting rain yesterday. :p

I think one of the special sales the local auction barns hold each spring would expose them to more people outside the area that actually have more grass than cattle than a local newspaper ad in an area where everyone has more cattle than grass. Wouldn't hurt to try the ad and go the auction route if the newspaper doesn't give good results.

i would put a add in the paper listing replacement heifers for sale.an state that they are not culls.

Another idea you might try is to list them on cattlerange.com under Simbrah replacement heifers. I've had luck with that in the past. Hope you get a good price.

nap":3himkb2r said:
Does anyone think there would be any market for a couple of heifers advertised in the paper?

I would much rather buy heifers advertised in the paper over the stockyard/sale barn any day of the week. One think that you need to look at is the Market Bulletin for your state. For Georgia, you can find it here:

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,208 ... 28,00.html

Go to google and put in:

Market Bulletin GA --- or whatever your state is.

You should find the Market Bulletin for your state that way. You will find many things available for a private type sale that way.

You will find everything from cattle to honey to pigs, to seeds and crafts there.

It's also free for your home state to advertise. Free is good! :nod:

Has anyone done barter and traded heifers? With the prices being what I suspect they are...I've thought of doing that, but locating someone that would do that, is another matter.

I'm going to work my cows in a couple of weeks, and some of my calves have got to go.

Latest posts