Better stock up on your smokes..............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
FDA announces comprehensive regulatory plan to shift trajectory of tobacco-related disease, death

The FDA plans to begin a public dialogue about lowering nicotine levels in combustible cigarettes to non-addictive levels through achievable product standards. The agency intends to issue an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) to seek input on the potential public health benefits and any possible adverse effects of lowering nicotine in cigarettes. Because almost 90 percent of adult smokers started smoking before the age of 18 and nearly 2,500 youth smoke their first cigarette every day in the U.S., lowering nicotine levels could decrease the likelihood that future generations become addicted to cigarettes and allow more currently addicted smokers to quit.

Here if you want to read more.......

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom ... 568923.htm
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic

So of course, to be fair, they must be looking to downgrade the percentage of alcohol in booze right? Or are they going to cherry-pick the sins?

Aaron":2u9bfp7w said:
So of course, to be fair, they must be looking to downgrade the percentage of alcohol in booze right? Or are they going to cherry-pick the sins?

Too much alcohol leads to cirrosis of the liver, and maybe a couple more that I've forgotten. Smoking leads to cancer heart disease, COPD, atherosclerosis and all sorts of other diseases. However, I've often thought alcohol's legality was hypocritical vs marijuana.

Bestoutwest":1iuvon0f said:
Aaron":1iuvon0f said:

Too much alcohol leads to cirrosis of the liver, and maybe a couple more that I've forgotten. Smoking leads to cancer heart disease, COPD, atherosclerosis and all sorts of other diseases. However, I've often thought alcohol's legality was hypocritical vs marijuana.

I have been wondering about the logic of trying to decrease tobacco use, and at the same time some are trying to legalize and promote marijuana use.

Bestoutwest":3n1vxc3r said:
Aaron":3n1vxc3r said:

You missed domestic violence and drunk driving.

Ky hills":1od1u06w said:
Bestoutwest":1od1u06w said:
Aaron":1od1u06w said:

I have been wondering about the logic of trying to decrease tobacco use, and at the same time some are trying to legalize and promote marijuana use.
EXACTLY!
I've had to work very hard to block a lot of sites on FB that tout pot as the cure-all medicine.. cancer, MS, etc, etc etc.. especially when the proponents who are typically agnostic/atheist start saying "God put it on this earth for us to use"... and in the next sentence every illness in the world is caused by tobacco.. which would have been put on this earth by the same God.
I don't say that tobacco is healthy to smoke, but when people hack up a lung after each toke, I don't think it's too bad either.. Then there's the BS about "No one has ever died from MJ".. absolute BS.. I lost 3 friends 20 years ago when they were driving stoned out of their minds and crossed the center line and had a head on with a semi truck.. there was pretty much nothing left of them.. Impaired driving laws here include being stoned now.
I don't argue that pot doesn't have some medicinal properties, I'm just sick of the stoners using that as an excuse.

I don't smoke or drink. This looks like liberal logic though. People will just buy more cigs to get what they need. Or swap to the vapor cigs where they can get any nicotine level they want. Same with the beer. I work in and around people from both Texas and Oklahoma. The alcohol content has never stopped a single person from getting drunk. Do we live in a free coutry or not? When did the government obtain the power to make laws to protect me from myself?

Aaron":hoe1phm5 said:

Gotta stop people from over eating too. Make it illegal to consume more than x number of calories per day.

Rafter S":1d24uas7 said:
Aaron":1d24uas7 said:

Gotta stop people from over eating too. Make it illegal to consume more than x number of calories per day.

Already doing that too in those cities where they banned large size drinks.

Craig Miller":2y5hamxu said:
I don't smoke or drink. This looks like liberal logic though. People will just buy more cigs to get what they need. Or swap to the vapor cigs where they can get any nicotine level they want. Same with the beer. I work in and around people from both Texas and Oklahoma. The alcohol content has never stopped a single person from getting drunk. Do we live in a free coutry or not? When did the government obtain the power to make laws to protect me from myself?

The authority is based in the Constitution and in constitutional case law. Disagreement with the interpretations supporting case law certainly exists. Whether the government has a role in moral or personal health and welfare individual rights and responsibilities has created divides in political philosophy. Examples are abortion and the role of government in public health anf welfare. Even education.

Government involvement in diet, use of harmful substances, etc. stretches the boundaries. It is one thing for institutions of government to offer health advisories but mandates are another.

A free citizen should have the right to use tobacco as long as it does not infringe on another citizen's rights. I support banning smoking in public places. As an example, some people have respiratory issues, Cigarette smoke will put them in the hospital.

They often use economics to support the need for regulation of health based practices. Makes little sense to me. In the end, we all die based on health related issues even if it is old age. The costs are no different if you check out at 75 due to smoking or you check out st 91 because of diseases related to advanced age.

Bestoutwest":15iys848 said:
Aaron":15iys848 said:

Alcohol also leads to pregnancy. You forgot that one. :D

Craig Miller":221mtzw8 said:
Do we live in a free coutry or not? When did the government obtain the power to make laws to protect me from myself?

Craig, in short no we do not. Freedom is an illusion for most people. An idea or state of mind, but in reality, how free is anyone?
The govt obtained the power when the American people traded the original American dream(if i WORK hard i can live the life I want on my own terms) for the "safety and security" (welfare, handouts, govt programs).
The next question, how did they accomplish this? Be passively redefining what a right actually is..our founding fathers believed in rights as being very basic, every person is born with them and should not be infringed upon by another..liberty, life, speech, assemble, protect yourself and your property. The individual was the focus. Right has been redefined to include: to be fed, educated, health care, cell phones, protected; by the govt, and/or for the 'common good.' We ( as a nation)have traded our personal privacy, and autonomy for the safety, security and management of our govt. We have strayed far from individual rights.

When we give the govt power to manage our health care, it stands to reason, they will stick their noses into all the areas that impact our health: smoking, alcohol, obesity, etc etc. I just wonder why people have so much faith in something that has consistently screwed up the majority of issues it attempts to manage or control...i suspect there are some old bones turnin in graves somewhere.

bball":d3plnf6p said:
Craig Miller":d3plnf6p said:
Do we live in a free coutry or not? When did the government obtain the power to make laws to protect me from myself?

Craig, in short no we do not. Freedom is an illusion for most people. An idea or state of mind, but in reality, how free is anyone?
The govt obtained the power when the American people traded the original American dream(if i WORK hard i can live the life I want on my own terms) for the "safety and security" (welfare, handouts, govt programs).
The next question, how did they accomplish this? Be passively redefining what a right actually is..our founding fathers believed in rights as being very basic, every person is born with them and should not be infringed upon by another..liberty, life, speech, assemble, protect yourself and your property. The individual was the focus. Right has been redefined to include: to be fed, educated, health care, cell phones, protected; by the govt, and/or for the 'common good.' We ( as a nation)have traded our personal privacy, and autonomy for the safety, security and management of our govt. We have strayed far from individual rights.

When we give the govt power to manage our health care, it stands to reason, they will stick their noses into all the areas that impact our health: smoking, alcohol, obesity, etc etc. I just wonder why people have so much faith in something that has consistently screwed up the majority of issues it attempts to manage or control...i suspect there are some old bones turnin in graves somewhere.

Good post.

bball":362f9hkx said:

I appreciate you placed the blame where it belongs. See highlights

Not only is freedom an illusion, in a philosophical sense, it is an impossibility captured by the old cliche "your freedom is bounded by where my freedom begins".

Absolute freedom would translate to He who is mightier is free and the weak are his subjects. That has been the way of much of world history and continues in many governments today, example, Zimbabwe. If you give a man total freedom, then he has freedom to enslave other men, thereby, freedom is only a matter of who can enforce their will on the rest of mankind.

Our founding fathers recognized those limits and defined freedom as you stated very well:

our founding fathers believed in rights as being very basic, every person is born with them and should not be infringed upon by another..liberty, life, speech, assemble, protect yourself and your property. The individual was the focus.

As a former smoker, I can tell you this will do little good. You can reduce the nicotine in each cig, but the smoker will just buy and smoke a lot more cigarettes..one right after another just like drinkers in states with pizzwater beer drink more beers than drinkers in states with real beer.

GB, yep, in other words it's a cash grab.. the goal isn't REALLY to reduce smoking, but to increase tax revenues.
I grow a lot of my own, and I can say that when I smoke my own tobacco, I smoke less.. It's much stronger, and has better flavor.. after smoking one of mine, I feel like I've had a smoke and I'm good.. commercial smokes burn about 3x as fast and if you're outside and it's breezy, you don't get a chance to take 2 drags before it's burnt out.

Ky hills":2n29ahsl said:
Bestoutwest":2n29ahsl said:
Aaron":2n29ahsl said:

Good point. I have no problem with marijuana being legal if booze are. Same with cigarettes. You can't protect people from themselves....

Latest posts