Better Simmental Pic. . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

I could look at pics all day of cattle. The calves look really nice.Do you keep any as replacements?

Yes we do keep some of the heifers as replacements, and by the way just F.Y.I. we don't cut our bull calves. . . .and the "colored" calves seem to sell pretty well around here. . . this year we are hopeing to be able to sell some of the calves, bull calves especialy for bulls and not to take them to auction but I don't know if we will be able to sell any though.

TexasSimmentals":1jb3ftvf said:
Yes we do keep some of the heifers as replacements, and by the way just F.Y.I. we don't cut our bull calves. . . .and the "colored" calves seem to sell pretty well around here. . . this year we are hopeing to be able to sell some of the calves, bull calves especialy for bulls and not to take them to auction but I don't know if we will be able to sell any though.
don't know how much luck you would have with the bull's .would they be registerd? and the majority want solid color, red white faced. that will kill one quick but the heifer's should sell good

In the west it seems you will get more money for a decent colored show steer then you will for a good black steer (not a great steer but good steer). There is so much competition in the black division, you just have a better chance of winning in the colored division, plus there are less colored steers to pick from. If you took 2 calves that were identical in weight, size and conformation, but one red and one black you could get up to 1000 more for the red steer. This is in regard to showsteers only, not commercial.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2e2h34dj said:
Keren - no - actually, I would get hurt harder on my males than females. Kids won't touch them, feedlots don't want them. But, my males are lowest $$$ makers anyway.

Huh, thats interesting. I get the impression pretty colours and markings go a long way when selling club calves. Then again, I get the feeling it is also a name game and bloodlines.

VCC":1kwba0xg said:
In the west it seems you will get more money for a decent colored show steer then you will for a good black steer (not a great steer but good steer). There is so much competition in the black division, you just have a better chance of winning in the colored division, plus there are less colored steers to pick from. If you took 2 calves that were identical in weight, size and conformation, but one red and one black you could get up to 1000 more for the red steer. This is in regard to showsteers only, not commercial.

We have 2 peices of land
Area 1) Red Simm Bull ~3 1/2 yrs. old
Area 2) Black Simm Bull ~9 yrs. old
Black Simm Bullvvvvvvvvvvvvv

brenham_cows_025.jpg

Black Simm BullX Red Painted Simm Cows
brenham_cows_008.jpg

brenham_cows_049.jpg

brenham_cows_003.jpg

ALACOWMAN":3ob62wly said:
I understand that black bull is old. but alot of quailty was left on the table to achieve the black color

I agree, there is no comparison between the two.

I guess you could argue that the black bull has got some neck extension :lol:
Whatever good that might do outside the showring in an already high milking breed. :?:

There is a world of difference in quality between the two bulls. But, just because this black simmie is poorer quality, doesn't mean that all the blacks are that way.
But, ALACOWMAN, you are sooo right. So many will leave a bull "intact" just because he is black, and he wouldn't have even made a good STEER.
TexasSimm - I don't think ANY farm produces all "bull quality" bulls. Only the best should be allowed to stay "intact". If you ever want to get into the "bull market", you need to be castrating most of your calves. If you sell them as "feeders" intact, some of them will end up in herds for breeding. There goes that market!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ts3g26w said:
There is a world of difference in quality between the two bulls. But, just because this black simmie is poorer quality, doesn't mean that all the blacks are that way.
  • But, ALACOWMAN, you are sooo right.
So many will leave a bull "intact" just because he is black, and he wouldn't have even made a good STEER.
TexasSimm - I don't think ANY farm produces all "bull quality" bulls. Only the best should be allowed to stay "intact". If you ever want to get into the "bull market", you need to be castrating most of your calves. If you sell them as "feeders" intact, some of them will end up in herds for breeding. There goes that market!
i understand jeanne, i had a black simm bull once. still have some of his daughter's .

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hez74ueu said:
But, ALACOWMAN, you are sooo right. So many will leave a bull "intact" just because he is black, and he wouldn't have even made a good STEER.

Thank you for your thoughts Jeanne but we are not planning on "cutting" any calves any time soon..... I also don't know what you mean by "there goes that market!" If you would like to explain this to me please.

You say you plan on keeping all the bulls "in tact". That means some of them will be sold in the general auctions as feeders (unless you plan on feeding them all out & harvesting them for freezer beef). If you sell "bulls" as feeders, some will end up being used as "bulls for breeding". That will eliminate that purchaser as a real "bull" buyer. The more bulls that are able to be purchased cheap as a feeder, the less bull market there is out there for you.

You see thousands of those Fleckvieh type cattle in feedlots up here-cattle like that black can't take the winters. Fleckvieh/red Angus or Fleckvieh/Hereford is probably the most popular ranch cow in the north half of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Jean I don't really think that somebody who is cruising the feeder calf markets for his next herd bull is REALLY going to be the kind of person who otherwise would lay down $2200 for a Reg bull at a sale. There are a lot of reasons too castrate; but limiting the bull market is not really one of them. IF everybody castrated their feeder bulls, most of those "No 'cheaper' bull" people would just keep one of their own bull calves back for a breeder.

Brandonm22":2hmuo18k said:
Jean I don't really think that somebody who is cruising the feeder calf markets for his next herd bull is REALLY going to be the kind of person who otherwise would lay down $2200 for a Reg bull at a sale. There are a lot of reasons too castrate; but limiting the bull market is not really one of them. IF everybody castrated their feeder bulls, most of those "No 'cheaper' bull" people would just keep one of their own bull calves back for a breeder.
Brandonm22-

Unfortunately, I agree with you regarding the "No 'cheaper' bull" people retaining one of their own bulls just for a "cow-freshener"! There are a bunch of us on this Forum who have been busting our buns for a long time to help breeders understand the importance of using high quality seedstock for their operations instead of just 'any' bull to "Get a calf - get a calf - get a calf!" ...but - you can lead a horse to water, but you can't MAKE him drink!

Jeanne is correct! "There goes that market!" And not only that - but there goes the understanding of all the neighbors of that "Cow-Freshener" breeder who can't project their thinking beyond the end of their pitchforks! And there goes their markets and their profits and successful markets also!

Pity.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":er9y58yg said:
Brandonm22":er9y58yg said:
Brandonm22-

Unfortunately, I agree with you regarding the "No 'cheaper' bull" people retaining one of their own bulls just for a "cow-freshener"! There are a bunch of us on this Forum who have been busting our buns for a long time to help breeders understand the importance of using high quality seedstock for their operations instead of just 'any' bull to "Get a calf - get a calf - get a calf!" ...but - you can lead a horse to water, but you can't MAKE him drink!

Pity.

DOC HARRIS

As one who listened to those 'who have been busting our buns for a long time to help breeders understand the importance of using high quality seedstock for their operations', I am now in a position to sell a 'quality seedstock' bull. I plan to sell private treaty, but how would one go about determining a fair market price for said bull? I have some of his calves on site, have the papers for him, but obviously do not have dam/sire on sight as I didn't breed him, and I haven't been to any recent registered sales. What else should I consider in marketing/advertising him? We're selling him as he did what was intended of him; he added to the quality of our calf crops and we're keeping some of heifers, so he must now go. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but your thoughts are appreciated.

--Marc

Ok...............I suppose yall are correct in some aspects but.....majority of the people around here only raise cattle for some side money and are not interested in raising "top of the line" bulls.......but they would like a pretty good quality for a low price.....i'm talkin like $600 low price......so I think that we have the quality for the low price......

TexasSimmentals":3fbkyzlk said:
Ok...............I suppose yall are correct in some aspects but.....majority of the people around here only raise cattle for some side money and are not interested in raising "top of the line" bulls.......but they would like a pretty good quality for a low price.....i'm talkin like $600 low price......so I think that we have the quality for the low price......
:???: Whatever.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2h0yhbmm said:
TexasSimmentals":2h0yhbmm said:

DOC HARRIS

What? ? ? ?

TexasSimmentals":2yfviw4b said:
DOC HARRIS":2yfviw4b said:
TexasSimmentals":2yfviw4b said:

DOC HARRIS

What? ? ? ?

DOC HARRIS