better breed??

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1c8tsqu6 said:
ALX.":1c8tsqu6 said:
And do your homework, cause you will never get a definitive answer to your question on these boards.

Thee definitive answer is that there is no one breed or mix of breeds that will do everything for everyone.

However in the posters area, there may be a relatively definitive choice to make money.( Assuming that is the goal ).

ALX.":4oaq4o6l said:
dun":4oaq4o6l said:
ALX.":4oaq4o6l said:
And do your homework, cause you will never get a definitive answer to your question on these boards.

Thee definitive answer is that there is no one breed or mix of breeds that will do everything for everyone.

However in the posters area, there may be a relatively definitive choice to make money.( Assuming that is the goal ).

You mean we're supposed to make money?

Frankie is right in saying that there is so much variation within breeds that you can't make a blanket statement about which will grow better.

Case in point: A friend purchased one of my former herd bulls, a polled Hereford, FGR Nevin Hudson N4. This friend, through the death of his wife's parents, had inherited a herd of about 30 purebred Charolais. In their case, their bull was several years old, but still in good shape, and threw good calves. However, they had to pull a few every year, and with replacement heifers being kept back, needed another bull. They went with this Hereford for a few reasons: Calving ease-he had a 70# actual BW, and we'd never pulled a calf sired by him. EPD was below breed average for that matter. My friend had always liked Herefords, and figured the temperament would fit in well with his cattle. They also knew through me of the bulls actual performance-740# weaning weight at 188 days on grass and milk only. Adjusted 205 was 804#.

When the next calf crop rolled around, there were two carryovers from the Charolais bull that were born a month before the group sired by the Hereford. When they sold at about 5-6 months old, the tan baldies had overtaken the straight Charolais in size and weight. The bonus was that calving trouble even in first time heifers was almost completely eliminated.

I know that heterosis has to be considered....but Mike, if the Herf was much of a dud at growth, the heterosis couldn't have made up the difference.

I've seldom seen a feed test where the herfs weren't the best convertors, as they were in the Kansas feedlot GOP (Genetic Outreach Program) the CSU studies, or most recently in the Harris Ranch study underway.

VanC":c7n6vdps said:
"Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in increasing feedlot performance but there was no significant leanness advantage for carcasses of Charolais sired cattle nor was there any significant carcass quality advantage for Angus-sired cattle in the present trial."

So they're saying Charolais would increase feedlot performance while the carcass quality would be roughly equal to Angus. Round one to Charolais.

That being said, I gotta take that study with a grain of salt. Only 24 Angus and 32 Charolais were studied. Given the thousands of each breed that exist, along with the huge variations between individuals you can get within each breed, that study doesn't really tell us much IMO.

Van, I question the climate and time of year for which studies are performed. Carencro, Louisiana is south of Opelousas. If I had to choose between those two breeds, climate would dictate my choice.

gerardplauche":1395e9dj said:
Also, is there a breed that will out perform these two? I need someone's thought on this please.

Brangus, beefmaster or something with bos indicus influence for the climate you are living in. What are you going to do with these cattle? Are you breeding commercial cattle? If you go with bos indicus influenced breeds and sell locally, you'll probably take a little a hit on steers but you'll get a bonus for heifers. Those are my "thoughts". You need to seek input from someone who raises cattle in your climate. If you are set on angus, breed to calve in the fall.

I have messed with both a little, more blacks than whites. I see that the angus are bringing higher price/lb than charolais, but the charolais calves are bigger. Maybe it will come out even at the end. I was really thinking about if the charolais calves' growth rate is significantly higher than the angus, I might be able to benefit more from the charolais... :shock:

Frankie":2n8o49gg said:
MikeC":2n8o49gg said:
gerardplauche":2n8o49gg said:
Which breed will pack on weight fatser; Angus or Charlois? Also, is there a breed that will out perform these two? I need someone's thought on this please.

Equally, or more importantly, is the amount of nutrition it takes a bull to "pack on weight" faster.

You should also note on the data that Frankie exhibited, that the Charolais bull took significantly less feed to gain that weight on significantly less dollars than the Angus.

Significantly? We can also see the Angus bull outweighed the Charolais bull "significantly" at 84 days. Which should mean his calves should spend less time in the feedlot. What's that worth?

What about the Angus bull that only weighed 1170 out of the same sire that weighed 1550? Calves out of the same sire can vary 400 lbs at a year of age? So what does that say about Angus?

Jovid":1zuwrs4w said:
Frankie":1zuwrs4w said:
MikeC":1zuwrs4w said:
gerardplauche":1zuwrs4w said:
Which breed will pack on weight fatser; Angus or Charlois? Also, is there a breed that will out perform these two? I need someone's thought on this please.

Equally, or more importantly, is the amount of nutrition it takes a bull to "pack on weight" faster.

You should also note on the data that Frankie exhibited, that the Charolais bull took significantly less feed to gain that weight on significantly less dollars than the Angus.

Significantly? We can also see the Angus bull outweighed the Charolais bull "significantly" at 84 days. Which should mean his calves should spend less time in the feedlot. What's that worth?

What about the Angus bull that only weighed 1170 out of the same sire that weighed 1550? Calves out of the same sire can vary 400 lbs at a year of age? So what does that say about Angus?

Bulls all have a momma. She has a bit of influence, too. And they can be managed differently which will affect their weights. Or they can get sick. Or maybe they don't like the feeding environment.

Frankie":2rizoigj said:
Jovid":2rizoigj said:
Frankie":2rizoigj said:
MikeC":2rizoigj said:
gerardplauche":2rizoigj said:

Bulls all have a momma. She has a bit of influence, too. And they can be managed differently which will affect their weights. Or they can get sick. Or maybe they don't like the feeding environment.

Which proves my point. Any breed will have calves that do well and they will also have calves that don't. 400 lbs is a big difference.

gerardplauche":jmi9l6bz said:
Someone has probably already said this. I'm not going to read 3 pages to find out.
Either has the potential of being the best. It only depends on the genetics of the particular animal. The one that will normally do the best is a cross between the two.

novatech":1wn31m9k said:
gerardplauche":1wn31m9k said:
Someone has probably already said this. I'm not going to read 3 pages to find out.
Either has the potential of being the best. It only depends on the genetics of the particular animal. The one that will normally do the best is a cross between the two.

Correct a 2 way cross will average 10% heavier at weaning with a three way at almost 20 %http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/beef/2182.html

Jovid":32ii23cm said:
Frankie":32ii23cm said:
Jovid":32ii23cm said:
Frankie":32ii23cm said:
MikeC":32ii23cm said:
gerardplauche":32ii23cm said:

Which proves my point. Any breed will have calves that do well and they will also have calves that don't. 400 lbs is a big difference.

Your point seemed to be "what does that say about Angus?" My point is that the "same sire" of any breed can produce similar calves or not, depending on management, etc.

Caustic Burno":neyvd4rp said:
novatech":neyvd4rp said:
gerardplauche":neyvd4rp said:

Correct a 2 way cross will average 10% heavier at weaning with a three way at almost 20 %http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/beef/2182.html

Now Burno creation , should that not say cattlemen ( or wimmin ) at the bottom of your post? And thanks for poviding a credible link to back up what you post.

Edit - Too quick on the draw sometimes, good to see your posting again CB, you've taught me a lot, and all the best in the New year. Sorry folks. AngusLimoX

The bottom line in all phases of beef production is getting the most amout of product-efficiently. I feel that performance is where it starts. Less time to weight and finish means less time on feed. An early maturing animal will finish faster when on full feed,will also have a smaller amount of end product. Time from birth to consumer is also a question on these poorer performing cattle. A faster growing animal will provide a greater amount of product in a shorter amount of time from birth to consumer. Quality of product is another concern. High performing cattle can and do produce quality end product.
So I quess the question I have is which is the more efficient?
I personally feel the best of both worlds is what I try to produce. High performance cattle that mature optimally(not early-not late) and provide a quantity of product with quality.
I do it with Chiangus cattle-but it can be done with several breeds.

Latest posts