Best Wormer?

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
Hi All-
I am plannin to work my cows tomorrow and I will worm them again this fall so on a twice a year worming program what wormer do you like to use? Injectibles, oral, pour on? Brand? Thanks!!

We switched to injectable last year, read so many studies that said pour on was not as effective. Someone posted a link to a study on here last year that was pretty informative.

We switched to injectable Ivermectrin Plus in the fall(Thanksgiving), injectable Cydectin in the spring(turnout time), and use oral safeguard or synanthic in early summer(July 4th). The young stock may get an extra worming in with Safeguard in Feb if they look a bit rough, and also in Sept.
We do MIG and this exposes the cattle to a higher worm load. We relied on pour-on for years and when we switched to injectables & oral treatments our yearlings were markedly heavier. We also started weaning more even groups.

pour on is not good! the best is oral i use synanthic and it seems to be good. Injectible is ok to and i use cydectin or dectomax and they both work.

I use injectable cydectin. The main thing is to use the same wormer until it isn't working. Rotating causes resistance faster according to the latest studies.

I use a generic ivermectin pour on and then feed a Safe guard pellet in late December. The pour on will help with grub and lice control that is why you should use a pour on and the cheeper stuff works well.
It doesn't sound like most people here really know if what they are doing in thier program is working or not. Our feedmill where we buy our safe guard pellets have a parasite evaluation clinic where we bring in samples that they test for us for free. Our samples all turned out to be free of worms except one heifer had one stomach worm egg in the sample. With out testing I had no idea how we were doing with our program.

denvermartinfarms":1wju4w62 said:
pour on is not good! the best is oral i use synanthic and it seems to be good. Injectible is ok to and i use cydectin or dectomax and they both work.
I've used the pour on ivermectin for a while. Tell me about the oral? I have a squeeze chute. How do you find it's easiest to give them the meds orally? Like HammondCreek said, I really can't claim to know how well my program is doing. I'd be interested in trying another regimen in order to identify a difference.

Well I don't completely understand what your asking, but I really don't find the oral the easiest I just want to be giving them the best I can, and I have been convinced that deworming orally is the best. It not really being the easiest way to deworm is why around here it seems that most people don't do it.

Checking the manure for worm eggs is good, but it's not 100% accurate. Worm eggs don't pass at a steady rate. Worm loads are not even across all the animals in the herd, and testing each animal isn't practical. A calf could get a mouthful of worm eggs shortly before testing, and the worms wouldn't be mature enough to be passing eggs when you test. Some worms, like flukes, won't have eggs in the manure. Eggs from the different species are difficult to identify.

I have a several reasons I know our worming protocol is working better than our previous use of pour-ons.
1st. No more dinks at weaning!
2nd. Overall improved health in the calves at weaning.
3rd. Increased size, health, & weight of the yearlings, 2's, & 3's.
4th. Due to circumstances beyond my control, our Nov worming was delayed until Feb & Mar this year. We only had minor lice problems start to pop up but our vet mentioned last week that this has been a bad lice year. I'm convinced that consistent use of injectibles cut our overall lice problem.

denvermartinfarms":1ph9qdlv said:
Well I don't completely understand what your asking, but I really don't find the oral the easiest I just want to be giving them the best I can, and I have been convinced that deworming orally is the best. It not really being the easiest way to deworm is why around here it seems that most people don't do it.
Sorry for being vague. How do you get the medicine into their mouths? I'm interested in learning more so that I can improve the health and well being of my herd. The easiest way isn't always the best way. Everyone here seems knowledgable. Thanks again.

cfry":plzs211t said:
denvermartinfarms":plzs211t said:
Sorry for being vague. How do you get the medicine into their mouths? I'm interested in learning more so that I can improve the health and well being of my herd. The easiest way isn't always the best way. Everyone here seems knowledgable. Thanks again.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... gas=drench gun

cfry":1jlmafgt said:
denvermartinfarms":1jlmafgt said:
A gun like dun posted the link to is the best way, but before I got one we used to use a syringe.

Latest posts