Best Way to Sell 40 Cow/Calf Pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3o735nqo said:
I don't Jew you have a price I am either willing to pay it or not.
I am not going to stand there and insult your cattle I just say I pass.
You try to Jew me they are no longer for sale to you and you will be asked to leave.

I am about the same way. If I think they are to high I don't even go look at them and I sure heck don't trash them. Those two guy took me from I will give a lil if you buy the lot to pay full price or leave them don't matter to me. My cows are nice in good shape good mommas and I knew someone would come along and pay me what I wanted for them. The cow they trashed the most I ended up letting her raise her calf then sold them separate and got more than what I was asking so I came out just fine.

Sold some bred cows and pairs about 8 years ago on CattleRange.com. Was pleased with how easy it went.
Next door neighbor dispersed about half his herd through one of the local salebarns(KY/TN, at Guthrie) a year or so back, as a previously-announced partial dispersal sale. Made out pretty good on that deal, and the buyers got some GOOD cattle.

CB,

I won't bad - mouth someone's cattle that I'm looking at, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to get them for less money than they're asking. Some people set the price higher than what they're willing to take because they expect some bargaining. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And if I'm selling, I'm not offended if they offer less than I'm asking. I very well may say no, but I'm not offended.

Rafter S":2vmhvipk said:
CB,

I won't bad - mouth someone's cattle that I'm looking at, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to get them for less money than they're asking. Some people set the price higher than what they're willing to take because they expect some bargaining. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And if I'm selling, I'm not offended if they offer less than I'm asking. I very well may say no, but I'm not offended.

Those I just walk away.
I know what they are worth I just choose not to play that game.

Caustic Burno":4l3d5bqa said:
Rafter S":4l3d5bqa said:
CB,

Those I just walk away.
I know what they are worth I just choose not to play that game.

That's certainly up to you. I had a guy come look at a group of heifers I had for sale a few years ago. He pointed to one of the best ones and said "I wish they were all like that one." I said "Me too. Then the price would be higher." He paid what I was asking without another word.

If I was selling I would run an add and sell them at home, if they are good clean cattle. If you take them to a sale there will be a lot of people that think they are just culls it does not matter how good they are some people look at sale barn cattle as junk, if you think I am not right about that just go back and look at some of the post on this site over the last few years and see what people think of sale barn cattle. Yes people will offer less and some will talk them down, like with anything you sale, if you cant take that kind of stuff take them to a auction. Also a good way is to put them in a consignment auction that has gotten to be the thing around here a lot of the time I see them bring top dollar by doing that. Some of the time the cattle aint nothing but sale barn cattle that some buyer put together. People that wont go to a sale barn will go to these sales and think they are buying farm fresh cattle.
IF YOU SELL AT HOME DO CASH ONLY OR BANK TRANSFER !!
no checks or casher checks unless you go to their bank and see them cut it for you.

BRYANT":20bn7x8s said:
If I was selling I would run an add and sell them at home, if they are good clean cattle. If you take them to a sale there will be a lot of people that think they are just culls it does not matter how good they are some people look at sale barn cattle as junk, if you think I am not right about that just go back and look at some of the post on this site over the last few years and see what people think of sale barn cattle. Yes people will offer less and some will talk them down, like with anything you sale, if you cant take that kind of stuff take them to a auction. Also a good way is to put them in a consignment auction that has gotten to be the thing around here a lot of the time I see them bring top dollar by doing that. Some of the time the cattle aint nothing but sale barn cattle that some buyer put together. People that wont go to a sale barn will go to these sales and think they are buying farm fresh cattle.
no checks or casher checks unless you go to their bank and see them cut it for you.
Bryant, I pretty much agree with what you've said. I live 11/2 miles from any public road. My place Is completely landlocked. That's probably why I don't like people I don't know coming out. You live like that long enough it makes you kinda a private person. I WANT TO ADD. The sale barn is not a trash dump. It's the arena were professionals trade. People who condemn , usually are people who don't have the experience to play in thAt large of a arena. And what you said is very true many craigslist herds were bought out of the Kill pen a few weeks before and cleaned up to be flipped. Just like a used car lot buying cars at a salvage auction, getting the papers in order , a little armour oil. And flipping it.please understand I'm basically agreeing with you. Just adding to what you said you

fenceman":2neahct5 said:
BRYANT":2neahct5 said:
Bryant, I pretty much agree with what you've said. I live 11/2 miles from any public road. My place Is completely landlocked. That's probably why I don't like people I don't know coming out. You live like that long enough it makes you kinda a private person. I WANT TO ADD. The sale barn is not a trash dump. It's the arena were professionals trade. People who condemn , usually are people who don't have the experience to play in thAt large of a arena. And what you said is very true many craigslist herds were bought out of the Kill pen a few weeks before and cleaned up to be flipped. Just like a used car lot buying cars at a salvage auction, getting the papers in order , a little armour oil. And flipping it.please understand I'm basically agreeing with you. Just adding to what you said you

Fenceman good post the salebarn is not an evil place it just not a rookie game.

Hope no one misunderstood it does not bother me at all to buy from salebarn, been around it most of my life, but a lot of people on this site seems to think you take good cattle to the sale they become bad cattle as soon as they walk off the trailer. Its because so many people have been burnt buying at auctions. Even if you know cattle its a different game to be able to sit there and know if a cow is good or bad and know what to look for when they come in fast and you don't have long to look at them. You need to have a mental check list in your mind to go over fast at first sight and yes sometimes you still miss something just part of the game. but you can get good cattle at a better buy sometimes at sales.

Update...I called the owner of a nearby sale barn, described what I had and he came out to take a look at them and bought them all on the spot, plus another 18 heavy-bred cows and 17 steers I had not planned on selling just now. This fellow runs several thousand head year-round and wanted them for his own herd. He said they would not be going to the sale barn (with the exception of the steers).

Well, that was quick and easy. Are your hands now empty?

I dont know what you had, but I hope that cheque was approaching 150k+.

I would think it should have gotten close to 180,000-200,000 if the steers were very big.

Good 3 in 1s like your describing should bring 3000$ plus together, split they are acctually worth more like 4000$ or maybe more. 18 heavy Breds if they are as good as the other cows should be another 45k, then 17 steers not knowing the size I'm going to be on tve low side and say 20k. Hopefully you didn't take much under 200k. And of course I'm not asking you to say what you got, I'm just thinking out loud.

Latest posts