best way to rig truck bed tank to water?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've got one of those farm tanks that fits in the bed of a truck, wheel wells and all. Its 450 gallons. I need to rig it to get water to a newly seeded area if we don't get rain this week. There's a port on the bottom of the tank. I have a gas pump, a pressure washer that has positive suction at 4gpm, and pvc lines. What's the best way to rig it? Boom type gravity drop, use the 5 hp pump and draw out, or use the pressure washer to draw out and spray. I'm leaning towards pvc boom type but how to support the sticks? Thx

Gravity feed, attach a piece of 2" pvc pipe to the bumper and drill some small holes in it?? I don't see it working very well, but at least your trying something. So hot here I think the water would evaporate before it would soak in. 100*s in the shade here right now, with a 70%-80% chance it won't rain for the next week. Not looking good 0 local hay available, and the pasture's are burnt up. Good Luck, hope you come up with a great idea that works.

So far this is what I've come up with: 2" port on tank, reduced to 3/4" ball valve. Valve turned on side so that when open part way it creates a fan spray. Im gonna go put the tank on the truck, fill it and later this evening try it out. This new seeded area doesn't have water access yet so I gotta truck it in. Freshly cleared virgin land seeded with brown top and bahia. I may have to drive at idle and keep my foot on the brake, but it should theoretically put out a spray 10-15 feet wide when full. I'm fixing to find out!

How big of area? How far is the seeded area from your water source? 450 gallons at a time you might be peeing in the wind. Might try something like using the tank as storage/extra capacity pumping with the 5hp through garden hose and conventional sprinklers, may only get 10 minutes before you run out of water. you could move the sprinklers while the tank was filling up.

simple always works

once you start watering to germinate seed you have to keep on watering until the roots get down into moisture. I know that this seams logical but I have seen some people forget this.

I would water late evening to give the water the best chance.

good luck,

Right now its a 400x25 ft area.kinda food plot size. Its 600 ft from the nearest water source(closest point). Whatever happens, I'm gunna learn something about hydrodynamics. It won't be too bad even if I have to do it once a day for the next few weeks. I just need to get it going til we get our daily rains

I just dont think you will get the amount of water you would need out of the truck, especially in a few passes.

Heck, I don't even know why you are worrying with it, the Weather Man says it's gonna rain all next week..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your determination to succeed is admirable. It'll take 14 loads of water to put 1 inch on the 400 x 25 area.

ga.prime":b2q8xl41 said:
Your determination to succeed is admirable. It'll take 14 loads of water to put 1 inch on the 400 x 25 area.

When getting seed to chit, it is better to spoon it on so that the water does not go down past the seed and then leave it dry again.

one or two loads every night is probibly ideal

Ga, are you trying to say in a nice way I'm stubborn? The ball valve fan idea don't work. Not enough column of water over the port. I made a boom and cut some outlets in it and it works quite well. The boom just needs to be longer and drop more water.I'm not the patient type, so I gave it a go with a 5 ft boom. Took 20 minutes to drop the load. Bigger badder better boom gets fabbed up tomorrow.
5:07:28 PM, the weatherman lies!
1wilmo, I'm going to keep it just wet enough to germinate it and keep it green til we get our rains

hooknline I though you knew what you were doing,

just when I saw Ga's comment I remembered a prevoise manager I worked with irrigated a field with a inch of water and then went back a few days latter to find the chitted seeds dry and dead, and the field still to wet to drive on.

His expensive mistake trying to save time and money.

1wlimo":335grn3i said:
irrigated a field with a inch of water and then went back a few days latter and the field still to wet to drive on
Different soil type and profile I think. Irrigate what hook's talking about and it won't be too wet immediately afterward.

Ga's right. All sand not much organic matter right now. Water runs right thru it.

ga.prime":oosiomko said:
1wlimo":oosiomko said:
irrigated a field with a inch of water and then went back a few days latter and the field still to wet to drive on
Different soil type and profile I think. Irrigate what hook's talking about and it won't be too wet immediately afterward.

profile was different for sure, soil was a nice clay loam. The manager just no good :bang: Still he was good at politics so he got promotion :bang: Me, I got paid out, that paid to finish my reno on the houses and my flight over here, so all good for me :banana: :banana: :banana:

I dont know your intentions here. Did you plant the millet for erosion control until the bahia comes up? Or were you planning on grazing the millet until the bahia comes up. That bahia seed will sit there just fine for a month or four if it has to. If you werent planning on grazing the millet, i'd let nature take its course with the bahia.

Yes to erosion control and grazing on the millet. Plus a dove field this fall once I get the cows off it

Rigged up a bigger badder better boom this morning while thank was filling. 12 ft boom, and it took 15 minutes to drop the water. Not too shabby. Refilled and dropped another tank full and the ground is nice and wet.

Its so dry here I put the sprinkler out and the dirt repels the water. grass is brown and crispy .

I hear ya. When first wet the water just rolls off. Second dose wets it good. It hasn't been this dry here since 98 when we had some serious fires around here

Its amazing how fast millet pops up. So far a lot of it it germinated and 1/2 in high. Dropping water every day and haven't had any rain yet

Latest posts