Best way to get cows to come out of the thick trees

Help Support CattleToday:

rynophiliac":3ohh8qw4 said:
Bigfoot":3ohh8qw4 said:
Ryno,

How did you handle these cattle last year at gathering time?

I hired several other cowboys and their dogs to go in with me. We got them out but it wasn't easy, pretty or cheap.

I would have sold them then. Then you wouldn't have this problem now.

]The ranch is about 20,000 acres of high desert range land. We have some cows that hang by the headquarters water and they will eat hay out of our hands because they see us all the time.[/quote]

A RANCH THIS BIG AND YOUR ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE THIS ?????? I think this topic is a joke :banana: I'm done with it have better things to do than tell a 20,000 acre rancher how to handle wild cattle, should have got this worked out before you turn cows out on 20.000 acres.. way to fishy for me

Rafter S":2739heab said:
rynophiliac":2739heab said:
Bigfoot":2739heab said:
Ryno,

How did you handle these cattle last year at gathering time?

I hired several other cowboys and their dogs to go in with me. We got them out but it wasn't easy, pretty or cheap.

I would have sold them then. Then you wouldn't have this problem now.

I couldn't agree more!

BRYANT":1f13uf8h said:
]The ranch is about 20,000 acres of high desert range land. We have some cows that hang by the headquarters water and they will eat hay out of our hands because they see us all the time.

A RANCH THIS BIG AND YOUR ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE THIS ?????? I think this topic is a joke :banana: I'm done with it have better things to do than tell a 20,000 acre rancher how to handle wild cattle, should have got this worked out before you turn cows out on 20.000 acres.. way to fishy for me[/quote]

What exactly about this is so fishy?

BRYANT":18e3ye4y said:
]The ranch is about 20,000 acres of high desert range land. We have some cows that hang by the headquarters water and they will eat hay out of our hands because they see us all the time.

A RANCH THIS BIG AND YOUR ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE THIS ?????? I think this topic is a joke :banana: I'm done with it have better things to do than tell a 20,000 acre rancher how to handle wild cattle, should have got this worked out before you turn cows out on 20.000 acres.. way to fishy for me[/quote]
In most of the west we run acres to the cow and not cows to the acre. I'm blessed with a little better feed here where I'm at but it's been a struggle learning to deal with REALLY wild cattle for me on terrain where they have the upper hand. It doesn't sound fishy to me at all...
On one of my places I dealt with cows that were hay broke but used to being gathered by Indians. They would come to hay and follow it to a certain gate and then literally lean through the gate and try to lick the hay but not step through. If you went out horseback to gather they would try to run the dogs up in the rocks and kill them. If you managed to get them penned they'd crawl up on your horse to get to you once they figured out they couldn't get away. In the two years after I bought that place I quit trying to load the previous owners cattle for him and started shooting them. That was four years ago and there's still two left and if I don't get them it's going to get to where one of mine will have to go as well as she's getting just as bad.
Come on out and see some real cattle country and it won't sound fishy.

Deepsouth":3bm5t2yt said:
Here you go ryno. You don't get them like this over night but it don't take long to get them to come to the truck instead of running from it. How many head are you trying to catch?

That's amazing! Are those the purina cattle cubes that were posted earlier? My local tractor supply was out but I think a store 30 minutes away has them in stock I'm going there tomorrow. I've got a little over 100 head but only about 12-15 are the wild ones that live in the high country.

cow pollinater":1bu7dkyn said:
BRYANT":1bu7dkyn said:

A RANCH THIS BIG AND YOUR ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE THIS ?????? I think this topic is a joke :banana: I'm done with it have better things to do than tell a 20,000 acre rancher how to handle wild cattle, should have got this worked out before you turn cows out on 20.000 acres.. way to fishy for me
In most of the west we run acres to the cow and not cows to the acre. I'm blessed with a little better feed here where I'm at but it's been a struggle learning to deal with REALLY wild cattle for me on terrain where they have the upper hand. It doesn't sound fishy to me at all...
On one of my places I dealt with cows that were hay broke but used to being gathered by Indians. They would come to hay and follow it to a certain gate and then literally lean through the gate and try to lick the hay but not step through. If you went out horseback to gather they would try to run the dogs up in the rocks and kill them. If you managed to get them penned they'd crawl up on your horse to get to you once they figured out they couldn't get away. In the two years after I bought that place I quit trying to load the previous owners cattle for him and started shooting them. That was four years ago and there's still two left and if I don't get them it's going to get to where one of mine will have to go as well as she's getting just as bad.
Come on out and see some real cattle country and it won't sound fishy.[/quote]

Wow it sounds like you had it worse than me! I haven't had to shoot any. Last year the worst we had was a maverick yearling that I had to tie to a tree for a day before she would calm down enough to load her. These cows also came with the place. Most of them are great but a small minority are wild. I didn't dare sell a single cow last year until I had a good head count of how many were out there. Now that the big bills are paid and I've got some good little heifers to replace them, I want the wild ones gone lol.

cow pollinater":3htxfz8p said:
BRYANT":3htxfz8p said:

Come on out and see some real cattle country and it won't sound fishy.[/quote]

Good luck on your new place by the way it sounds like you've got a good handle on it

As CP said, "Come on out and see some real cattle country". I wonder how many on here many have taken binoculars to search for cows. Not for getting a closer look at a cow but simply to search for them because the area is so vast. Methods that work well in a 10 or even 100 acre pasture might not work as well in a 10,000 acre pasture.

Dave":17fiv5ag said:
As CP said, "Come on out and see some real cattle country". I wonder how many on here many have taken binoculars to search for cows. Not for getting a closer look at a cow but simply to search for them because the area is so vast. Methods that work well in a 10 or even 100 acre pasture might not work as well in a 10,000 acre pasture.

I agree to some extent.

Putting a little time in a when you have heifers or buy cattle to cube break them is some thing every one can, and should do. It works if you have 5 ac or 50,000... I know that for a fact. You can also dog break those young cattle. A little effort on the front end is well worth it long term.

We had the nightmare cattle that charged you, broke down pens, and ultimately we ended up just shooting some dead in their tracks. From there forward I made it a point that nothing leaves my pipe pens until it comes when I have feed. If it won't come... it doesn't get turned out.

Catching wild cows is all fun to talk about... and makes for great stories when you do it for other people...................... It SUX when its your cattle. :tiphat:

Brute 23":uw5pvqlg said:
Dave":uw5pvqlg said:

I agree to some extent.

Putting a little time in a when you have heifers or buy cattle to cube break them is some thing every one can, and should do. It works if you have 5 ac or 50,000... I know that for a fact. You can also dog break those young cattle. A little effort on the front end is well worth it long term.

We had the nightmare cattle that charged you, broke down pens, and ultimately we ended up just shooting some dead in their tracks. From there forward I made it a point that nothing leaves my pipe pens until it comes when I have feed. If it won't come... it doesn't get turned out.

Catching wild cows is all fun to talk about... and makes for great stories when you do it for other people...................... It SUX when its your cattle. :tiphat:

And I agree with you to some extent.

The problem is if you turn cattle out on that big of a range they might not see a human being for a very long time. A certain percentage of them will just go native on you. Most will remember sweet feed or hay or cubes but some will have a short memory and just flat turn into wild animals. When you do catch that kind they should be on the next truck off the place. You can decrease the number of problem animals by selection, culling, and good treatment but there will always be some in those conditions who just go native.

A big part of my reasoning on switching to hereford bulls was to get disposition under control and I'm really glad I did that. I've gotten a couple of calves out of the wild cows that way. They show up as slicks but they just can't hang with mom's level of crazy so they start following my cows around once they get a little older and my cows can be penned so I can bring those calves in with them. :lol:

So I fenced them out of their spring water this last Saturday, we'll see if they come down the hill looking for a drink