Best way to get a glistening shine?

Help Support CattleToday:

PremierLonghorns

Reaction score
When you've done everything else to give the best nutrition available to you: What REALLY are the best Shine products either spray-on or feed-through supplements to get that mirror finish on a show animal?? Thank you all so much!! I truly appreciate your insight & experience! :)

I don't do the show scene and don't know how y'all groom them and such, and because of your username I opened this thread 100% expecting it to be about polishing the horns on a longhorn and I was super interested.
Texas Longhorns are shown natural and nothing is permitted on their horns or they would be disqualified. I am referring to putting some bloom on their haircoat. No glue used with Texas Longhorns so it has to be all natural. Our black Longhorns shine naturally when slick in the summer but showing the heifers especially with multicolored ones during the other times of the year are hard to get them to shine. Thank you for your response! :)

Attachments

• Premier Exxonna 2019.jpg
    Premier Exxonna 2019.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 9
When you've done everything else to give the best nutrition available to you: What REALLY are the best Shine products either spray-on or feed-through supplements to get that mirror finish on a show animal?? Thank you all so much!! I truly appreciate your insight & experience! :)
My horses have never, ever spent a night in a stall. Don't own horse blankets. People always comment on how good they look...say they look like I have groomed them for a halter class. They just get a half gallon of a feed that I mix up..and the purpose I feed them is to have a medium to get these 2 items in them: Corn oil and biotin crumbles. I buy tubs of biotin crumbles...started out as a supplement for their hooves. But, anything good for the hooves is good for the hair and good for the skin. There is a measuring cup that comes in the biotin..I think maybe it is 3 ounces. I put a heaping measuring cup of that and 8 ounces of corn oil in that feed. In 2-3 weeks they will be as slick and shiny as a stalled, blanketed show horse. It will do the same with your Longhorns. A friend of mine uses this mix for his daughter's show calves and lambs.

I tried a spray on horse shinier-upper once, I think it was Show Sheen. It is a silicone based spray. I stepped up in the stirrup and the whole rig slipped around under her belly.

My horses have never, ever spent a night in a stall. Don't own horse blankets. People always comment on how good they look...say they look like I have groomed them for a halter class. They just get a half gallon of a feed that I mix up..and the purpose I feed them is to have a medium to get these 2 items in them: Corn oil and biotin crumbles. I buy tubs of biotin crumbles...started out as a supplement for their hooves. But, anything good for the hooves is good for the hair and good for the skin. There is a measuring cup that comes in the biotin..I think maybe it is 3 ounces. I put a heaping measuring cup of that and 8 ounces of corn oil in that feed. In 2-3 weeks they will be as slick and shiny as a stalled, blanketed show horse. It will do the same with your Longhorns. A friend of mine uses this mix for his daughter's show calves and lambs.
corn oil will keep one really shiny and they love it in their feed

Latest posts