Best way to establish pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
I am about 50 miles south of San Antonio. We have mill that is removing Mesquite from our property for milling and then root plowing,stacking and burning unused material. This is really going to open my property to plant grass. Now I know very little about this and I am looking for advice. My budget is fairly tight, I cant just run out and drop 300.00 per acre to do this. What are there options that I can do with a broadcast spreader,disc and drag harrow? Any idea on cost to sprig Tifton 85? I am still reading and trying absorb info regarding pasture grass. This property is covered thick in Mesquite and I am going to basically have open property with a few trees left to provide shade for the cattle. I have a 54hp and 38 hp tractor, broadcast spreader, disc and drag harrows to work with. The soil is a very sandy loam for the most of my property.
So basically I am stupid on this part concerning planting grass. We have always depended on native grass and hay

Take soil samples, have them tested & fertilize as called for or as close to called for as you can afford. There's no point wasting seed, time, & fuel on ground where it won't thrive. You'll be ahead $ wise doing it right the first time.

Buy the best grass seed you can afford, check with your county extension agent & neighbors to find out what types of grass/legumes grow best in your area.

I'm not familiar with your area but be sure you sow the seed at the right time of year. And try to time your sowing so you get some rain in the first few days the seed is down.

You want a nice firm seedbed to spread on. After you spread the seed go back over it with a rake or whatever you have to increase the seed-soil contact.

Jabes0623":18ziuuzt said:
Take soil samples, have them tested & fertilize as called for or as close to called for as you can afford. There's no point wasting seed, time, & fuel on ground where it won't thrive. You'll be ahead $ wise doing it right the first time.

Buy the best grass seed you can afford, check with your county extension agent & neighbors to find out what types of grass/legumes grow best in your area.

I'm not familiar with your area but be sure you sow the seed at the right time of year. And try to time your sowing so you get some rain in the first few days the seed is down.

You want a nice firm seedbed to spread on. After you spread the seed go back over it with a rake or whatever you have to increase the seed-soil contact.
Pretty well sums it up!

Yup - good advice.
I'll just add don't scrimp on seeding population, it's your best opportunity to establish a good pasture, do it right.
When I'm seeding alfalfa I always think to myself it's my one opportunity to get seed out there for the life of the stand.

Sure sounds like your going to get the opportunity to do it right. You just have to pick your poison. With army. Worms and drought always a likely problem. I personally lean towards grass that reseeds well . once established you will always have some seed in the bank. Klien and the seeded bermudas, bdahl bluestem are all possible choices.
I've seen very good results of the Texas tuff bermuda. Just be aware Its a blend of giant ,Cheyenne, and common..not Its own strain and will eventually be overtaken by the common bermuda. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Once you do get a stand going don't even think about skrimping on fertilizer until it's very well established.
You might pm 82vette I consider him our centex grass guru. He can tell the particulars of each. First hand

I'd sure see what forage everyone else nearby is successfully growing, or talk to your local extension agent.
50 miles South of Bexar is definitely in South Texas and is a world away from where I and most others who have posted here live.

Tough time of year to establish new pasture but does give you time to get everything right for next yesr. As said: soil test. Guessing lime may not be a big issue but if it is get it done. Might put some of the P and K out with it to get it worked in. Cover crop of wheat or oats this fall withe a little N. Plow it down in the spring about a month before you want to plant to give it time to decompose a little.

You can broadcast Bermuda, Klein, native prairie mixes or sprig with Tifton, jiggs, costal or whatever you want. Price wise, Klein is probably the less expensive to seed. Not sure the cost of prairie mixes but the Bermuda seed runs 5 to 10 dollars a pound with a 15 pound seeding rate. Klein is about 12 a pound with a seeding rate of 2 to 3 lbs. it will also take less fertilizer and rainfall to grow.

1982vett":26nw8ljv said:
Tough time of year to establish new pasture but does give you time to get everything right for next yesr. As said: soil test. Guessing lime may not be a big issue but if it is get it done. Might put some of the P and K out with it to get it worked in. Cover crop of wheat or oats this fall withe a little N. Plow it down in the spring about a month before you want to plant to give it time to decompose a little.

You can broadcast Bermuda, Klein, native prairie mixes or sprig with Tifton, jiggs, costal or whatever you want. Price wise, Klein is probably the less expensive to seed. Not sure the cost of prairie mixes but the Bermuda seed runs 5 to 10 dollars a pound with a 15 pound seeding rate. Klein is about 12 a pound with a seeding rate of 2 to 3 lbs. it will also take less fertilizer and rainfall to grow.

Thanks everyone for the info and help. 1982vette, would planting Rye grass give any advantage like the wheat and oats? The soil tests, this is something I have not done. Is the local AG extension agent the best route for this?
What about dealers to purchase the seed from here in Texas..any suggestions?

The plow down in this case would be to add organic matter and hold the solid through winter. Grazing would certainly be an option if feasible. I'd like to get it plowed in far enough in advance that it has a little time to decompose. Wheat and oats is usually going out by mid May so pasture drilling Klein into stubble might work fine is your sandy soil doesn't compact from trampling. Probably would work with Bermuda seed too.

I purposely did not recommend ryegrass because it does last longer into the spring sometimes. But then if grazed short and pasture drilled it could work ok too, as long as it doesn't get ahead of your seedlings. Hate to say it, but it does all depend on your moisture situation as to what works best.

Here we would get seed from the local co-op. You can also buy from seed companies on the Internet. Seedland and Browning seed are two that I have used in the past. Price is a little more because of shipping, but sometimes local sources don't have or are out of a particular variety. I guess ordering now for spring would fix that but who plans that far in advance....lol.

Local extension office should have bags for soil samples. Agribusinesses may have them as well. If not try googling Soil Testing Lab at TAMU. I'm just next door to TAMU.s testing lab so all I have to do is drop them off their or at out county extension office. You might have to mail them.

Roughly where are you at 50 miles south? I run all over from SA to Mexico. If HW 16 is directly south there is some differences between Pearsall (SW), Jourdanton/ Charlotte (S), and Karnes City (SE).

Tifton is probably king unless you start getting really west. The soils change from sand, to red dirt, to black farm land.

Don't count out the Bermudas you seed.

If its not too sandy your Klein, Bdahl, and those type grass are all good. Depending where you are Buffel grass may be the ticket.

I know Texas is BIG but seedsource is out there somewhere and offer native seed.
We're in Georgia but my son sent me their website today to read an article and I saw their address.

Brute 23":1wohpe7x said:
Roughly where are you at 50 miles south? I run all over from SA to Mexico. If HW 16 is directly south there is some differences between Pearsall (SW), Jourdanton/ Charlotte (S), and Karnes City (SE).

Tifton is probably king unless you start getting really west. The soils change from sand, to red dirt, to black farm land.

If its not too sandy your Klein, Bdahl, and those type grass are all good. Depending where you are Buffel grass may be the ticket.

Campbellton and I believe we are close? An suggestions? Our soil is sandy loam. On one end its down to about a foo and then concrete like clay. On the the other end its sandy to past 10' that I have seen

sounds like Texas people are giving some sound advice for the area your in ! cant ask for better neighbors !!

M-5":2qsf1fpn said:
Does Anyone close by have a field Of Tiff85 ??? will they let you cut the tops ?? Can you enlist 4 or 5 folks that don't mind working in the rain and hand spreading ???
It's easierthan that when it's easy. Can you irrigate op?

saltbranch":1yznnn2h said:
Brute 23":1yznnn2h said:

Campbellton and I believe we are close? An suggestions? Our soil is sandy loam. On one end its down to about a foo and then concrete like clay. On the the other end its sandy to past 10' that I have seen

Got ya. I worked off 791 for 2 years. I run 37 a lot.

Do you care any about hunting or are your strictly looking for a cattle grass? Really you can grow any of the grasses mentioned there. That's pretty good country.

Klein, BDahl, and Buffel are all very wildlife friendly. The dove, deer, and quail will love you as will your cattle. Klein and BDahl both make great hay. Deer love Klein when its young. BDahl repels fire ants and is supposed to be good for quail. They are all very drought resistant. They can all be planted with a seed. Only some what down side IMO is you cant leave cattle on these grasses all year. They need to be rotated off so they don't get grazed too short and they need to see out once at lease once a year.

Tifton will be your highest producer hands down. The stuff is amazing in the right conditions. Its great for grazing or hay. Not near as wildlife friendly as the others above. It will take the most cost and time to get established. It will also take the most upkeep.

I would vote on Klein. Seems to me its easier to get going and after it does. is more drought tolerant and reseeds well. BDahl would be second but I have not tried it. Neighbor has tried it twice and failed both times.
Turner Seed out of Breckenridge is easy to work with and reasonably priced. They have prices on their web site. Talk to Darcy and tell him where you are at and what you are thinking. He will make you up a mix if you would like. They have a sandy land mix that sees like it would fit your need.

Latest posts