Best vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

sske

Reaction score
I need to vaccinate my cows and calves. From a couple months old up to a bred 8/9 year old cow. What's the best vaccine/vaccines to use? I'm not sure how much it matters but I'm in northern California.
Thank you

Call you vet to get a vaccination program specifically for your cattle & your area. We vaccinate cows/bulls with Vira Shield, pinkeye & Ivermectin. Calves get Ultrabac, Triangle 4 + PK, Pinkeye & Ivermectin. Bull calves get Covexin 8 when we band or cut. All our vaccines are recommended by & purchased through our vet but a lot of people order online (less expensive).

Agree - you'll get a variety of answers. You need one specific that will best suit your cattle and operation.

No advice on what. But advice on what not. Do not give other vaccines when giving blackleg if you can help it. What my Vet advised. Deal with immune system getting overloaded and the clostridium apparently gets the priority. More than I know.

I spoke to my vet he said he felt the most important was a 7 or 9 way clostridial vaccine. Any recommendations on the best brand?

sske":j35sa1av said:
I spoke to my vet he said he felt the most important was a 7 or 9 way clostridial vaccine. Any recommendations on the best brand?

"Best" is subjective and again depends on your herd (closed herd, minerals provided, general health, previous vaccinations, etc) and location. Your vet will recommend the appropriate vaccine - and either provide it or write you a RX.

Latest posts