Best Truck??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

So what is the best diesel towing truck?

I heard Ford's are hard on gas and that Dodge seats are uncomfortable.
What about GM's? Any other feedback would be helpful in my selection process.
Thanks

Zeb":au9tnaoe said:
So what is the best diesel towing truck?

I heard Ford's are hard on gas and that Dodge seats are uncomfortable.
What about GM's? Any other feedback would be helpful in my selection process.
Thanks

from personal experience, i'd have to say you almost have it backwards on the ford & dodge. the dodge gets about 14 mpg & the ford gets about 18. the dodge is probably more comfortable than the ford. they're both 3/4 ton 4x4 & have pretty equal towing power.

All I drive is a Ford, and I've never driven a new one. But, my old '92 is running strong with pushing 300,000 on the engine. The 7.3 does ok on fuel. Get about 13mpg highway w/ the trailer. It is a crew cab, 5 speed dually.

My dad swears by the Dodge and the cummins. I can't say either way on that. But I rode to Denver (from Ohio) in a dodge and those seats are far from comfy!!!! Can't beat a old broke in Ford bucket seat! :D

I would have to agree. I have a ford 7.3 powerstroke 4x4 and the seats are a lot more confortable then my Dad's dodge diesel. We had both our trucks loaded down with loads of hay and I outpulled my Dad, but mine is a 8 cyln and Dad's is a 6 strait. I get 16 mpg chipped not loaded and Dad gets between 18 and 20 chipped not loaded.

as far as towing goes, i think all of them are so close it wouldnt make a difference which you get. they are all within a couple hundred pounds max towing, and i doubt that would make a huge difference when your pulling thousands of pounds. as far as comfort goes, you have to decide that for yourself. that is your own opinion and no one else can decide for you.

#1 - Dodge Cummins - 5 or 6 spd
#2 - Ford 7.3 - 5 or 6 spd
#3 - Dodge Cummins - Auto
#4 - Ford 7.3 - Auto

I like Dodge best, probably a 98-01 24v Cummins with the 5 or 6 spd, although I hear the 12V are easier to tune up mechanically. Think of would stay away from the new Ford 6.0's for now. Still working out the bugs.
This is rating the trucks on engine, transmission and ability to pull a load. As far as comfort, I really don't have a preference.

Ford has worked everything out for the most part. with the 05s, they will surpass dodge by far. with the new models, Ford has been beefing up their trucks, setting a new standard for trucks.

FORD 6.0 L powerstroke all the way... excellent pulling power and nice to ride in with the offroad pkg. By far blows away Dodge or GM

Comfort of the trucks depends a lot on how much money you want to spend. You can get any of the trucks more comfortable than you can imagine if you spend the money. You can go out and buy a F-350 King Ranch and youll be so comfortable you could live in that truck but it will cost you $51,000. Im sure Dodge and Chevy have packages like that, but Im a Ford fan so I dont know about them. As for basic packages, your not gonna find a truck that has that feeling that makes you not wanna get out.

I don't like GMC's or Chevy's. A dodge is alright but I'm a ford truck man. I like the farms new F-250 don't rightly remember what engine it has, grandpa can clear that all up for you guys, but I'd definately say to get a manual if you can because towing is hard on a automatic transmission.

We've got a 3/4 ton 4 x 4 Ford Diesel (7.3) that is a great little truck.. automatic, which I never thought I'd like, but it's very comfortable and easy to drive.

Having said that, the 1 ton Dodge is my favorite now, and I never thought I'd like it better than a Ford. I pull a 32' trailer, and it's been great pulling.. better than the 2002 we traded in. And it is WAY comfortable.. the new ones are much better than the old. And all the bells and whistles are great too! I love all that stuff...

Now if DIESEL were cheaper... I have to drive the Beetle to the office!

When comparing trucks, for a fair comparison, all should be as close to equal as possible, such as rear-end ratio,etc. I have always liked Fords, but if you buy a brand you don't like, and you have trouble with it, you will judge it more harshly. My v6 Ranger has 187,000 on it. 23 mpg. It is a long ways from the 460 v8 I used to have, but they both were reliable up near 200,000.

greenwillowherefords":btswad32 said:
When comparing trucks, for a fair comparison, all should be as close to equal as possible, such as rear-end ratio,etc. I have always liked Fords, but if you buy a brand you don't like, and you have trouble with it, you will judge it more harshly. My v6 Ranger has 187,000 on it. 23 mpg. It is a long ways from the 460 v8 I used to have, but they both were reliable up near 200,000.

I only dream about 23 mpg in my Ranger. Part may be because it's V6 4wd. Part of it could also be it's so loose that I think the pistons swap holes occasionally

dun

I have a 1990 dodge 250 with a cummins which we still use on the farm when we used it on the road it averaged 18 loaded . Now we have a 2002 350 ford powerstroke we average about 16 with a little bit bigger load and get there a little faster( new truck has more horsepower than old one) The old dodge always rode hard new ford rides much better, maybe newer dodge would too

cowboy13":22smzywd said:
The dodge has the best power. Our new Cummins H.O. 6 spd. Idled our John Deere 450 dozer up a customers driveway in reverse. The seats arn't the most comfortable but I will take the power anyday. The Duramax diesals aren't worth anything, but it is the most comfortable truck.
Just wondering, what are the problems with the Duramax diesels?
J. T.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":uc277wac said:
Oh yeah? well im gettin 29 mpg in my little hyundai accent.

I've had as many as five people in that supercab Ranger,(some of them children of course) while still towing trailers with a show calf or stock panels. Just today I hauled a 4X5 round bale. Now 190,000 miles, still got 24 mpg+ the last two tanks of gas. Now the milaege drops off to 12 or 15 when towing a loaded trailer.

I have had all three and they all have good points. Dodge and Ford run neck and neck. But I love my new duramax. It rides so much better and gets better fuel milage than my Ford ever thought about.

I think Duramax is more for the person that wants the biggest truck possible while getting decent mileage, but doesnt do a lot of work. The best truck for what a truck is supposed to be for is the Fords. 05s especially. Only non-commercial truck on a frame of a heavy duty commercial truck (F-550), so its one tough *#$@!

Latest posts