Best time to sell cull (registered) bred cows at sale barn?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mine are going in mid - february, weather permitting. Keeping in mind that we aren't faced with any hay shortages in our area so that won't have much impact on price.

guest25":1blo30bf said:
could be a glut or run on the market of the blacks before you know it.

ouch!
From the people that I talk to who are running other
colored cows, there will be s waiting only line to buy these black cows and hfrs. Some may be some of your silent partners too. :p :p :lol: :lol:

Registered doesn't mean anything at the salebarn, the only papers that interest me are in my back pocket.
I am not going to pay over salebarn prices.

redangus":3t2epiif said:
First green up or earlier?

Are you selling them as registered animals? Will you transfer the papers? If so, try putting an ad in the paper before hauling them to the sale barn. People are looking for straightbred cows to run with another breed bull. If you go the sale barn route, look for one that runs special sales. Maybe has a special replacement cow sale or has a reputation for selling better than common sale barn cattle? If you're not transferring the papers, they're probably worth no more than commercial cattle.

guest25":2mjuib9s said:
why would anyone want papers on registered cull cattle. to track epds possibly.
the reson some peoplle would sale their bottom end or older reg cows with papers is that they could be better than most reg cows selling.i know a guy that raises bulls.an he only keeps the top end of his bulls.those that would bring $2500 to $4000.well the rest he sales.that dont mean their arnt some good bulls in there.just means they arnt super high dollar bulls.

guest25":1m7he235 said:
why would anyone want papers on registered cull cattle. to track epds possibly.

There are a lot of reasons to cull cows and not all are problems. Older cows that still have some good calves in them but they're older then you like to have, replaced by (perceived) better genetics, cow that just doesn;t work with your managment, the list is almost endless.

dun

If I cull a cow from my herd, I would never send papers with her. I'm not at the place where I can do that and have a clear conscious.

Now I have bought cull cows from breeders in the past; mainly because they didn't settle in 60 days for the breeder. That breeder had genetic lead time on me though.