best time of year to sell a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80

Reaction score
I've got a 17 month bull I'm wanting to sell. Just wanted to know opinions on when to advertise him for sale. When are people looking for a bull, i guess is what I'm asking.
He's angus, limosin cross with just a touch of Brahma, red in color. In case anyone was wanting to know.

Remember that unless he is a virgin he has to have a negative trich test. It's the law in MO

Not much demand for a mongrel bull. I seen a good numbers of crossbred bulls on Craigslist and they've been on Craigslist for months & their price keeps changing to reduced price.

I would advertise him now on social media. There are several sites on FB. Also cattle range and craig's list are other options. I was always told the best time to sell a horse or cattle was when there was a buyer looking for them. What does he weigh? If he is a nice looking bull you might get a little more than he would bring at the sale barn. I know of a breeder who took several nice bred registered Angus bulls to a sale barn recently. I don't think it went good. The bull market here is glutted. Too many have bull pens still partially full and some have decided to empty them.

For a 3-way you might be better off trying to sell to one of your neighbors that just want something red. There are a lot of people in my area that just want black, could care less about the pedigree, EPD's etc. If it were my bull I'd take him to the Sale Barn unless there's just something special about him. And sooner rather than later.

Latest posts