Best time of day to spray weeds?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef":3a7cpyre said:
halfbean":3a7cpyre said:
What is the best time of day to spray pastures for weeds? I am spraying Pastureguard and Remedy on goatweeds, bullnettle, blackberry etc.

This is a very interesting publicaion that I have followed and found to be very accurate:

http://appliedweeds.cfans.umn.edu/pubs/timeoday.pdf

You have to spray when the plant is actively growing and able to absorb the active ingredient in Round-up, Liberty and similar products.

I would imagine the principles apply to any leaf-contact herbicide compared to soil-based herbicide.

Jim

Bingo!! If the weed isn't growing, it won't take in the herbicide. Plain and simple. One trick I might experiment with soon is to mow down the weeds, wait for a rain, and when those weeds begin to pop up again ------> spray them.

With broadleaf products especially, I don't like to spray when there is too much dew or high temps, particularly coupled with low humidity in the later case. No matter whether you are using ester, low ester or amine formulations, the stuff still fumes to some extent. That's why you can smell it when driving past a sprayed field. When the temps get high, the stomata cells on the underside of the leaves close, to conserve moisture. These are the cells that the leaves breathe through. How much they close depends on the humidity. If the chemical enters through the stomata cells, intake is rapid and goes straight into the circulation system. Yes, it is also adsorbed through the cutin (waxy) layer protecting the top leaf surface. Surfactant is added to the spray mix to both break down the water droplets and produce a fine film on the leaf and to aid in adsorption. Adsorb is to translocate through a surface, absorb is....well, absorbed BY the surface. And living leaves don't absorb.

Got sidetracked there a little. Sorry. I hold off spraying in either of these conditions. If just a little dew, I will spray. Spraying in the late afternoon, early evening can be the best there is. Winds tend to be calm, humidity is rising, so the stomas are opening and it can have several hours to dry and be adsorbed before the heavy dew sets in.

Jogeephus

Humid air is less dense thus allowing the spray to drift farther.

Jogeephus,

I prefer to spray with a lot of water too, but my 200 gallon tank doesn't go very far at 40 GPA. I've found that I get just as good of a kill at 14 GPA as I did at 22 GPA. I want a bigger tank.

Plants breathe, and their noses are wide open in the morning. Hotter and dryer conditions after noon make plants shut down their noses as a defense against transpiration. I'd spray in the morning. Dew has to be considered, but I'll take a little dew opposed to finishing later in the day.

I have sprayed glysophate in fairly moderate dew & had no problem @ 15 gal to the acre.no breeze is the best. :banana: take that weeds!!

just curios I just bought glysophate today for $18.99 a gal (30 gal drum ) what are you all paying? :cboy:

$16.01 for 4 pounds.

$19.05 for 5.5 pounds.

Both are bulk prices.

options":3asjz0ym said:
Jogeephus

Where did you get the idea that humid air is less dense.
Ive found the best time to put Treflan (Triflur) on is on a damp foggy morning allowing me to get the first stage of soil in corporation done before the sun get too strong.

Steve Wilson":1xq16tmx said:
Jogeephus,

I prefer to spray with a lot of water too, but my 200 gallon tank doesn't go very far at 40 GPA. I've found that I get just as good of a kill at 14 GPA as I did at 22 GPA. I want a bigger tank.

Depends on what you are spraying. I spray a lot of heavy brush and low volumes will not provide the coverage needed to get a good kill because there is so much surface area.

options":1xq16tmx said:
Jogeephus

Don't follow you on this. I find droplet size and pressure is more of a controlling factor than this. If you are referring to its ability to walk - I agree.

I used to get excellent results with three gallons of water per acre through the CDA (Controlled Droplet Applicators) system with Round Up. I used the 250 micron size droplets which gave me no drift and good coverage although the 125 micron was reccomended for use with Round Up.
As an additive I used five per cent Sulphate of Ammonia to act as a surfactant with Round Up down to one and a half litres per hectare. However I gave it up because the Sulphate of Ammonia got into my electric motors and wrecked them.
If I was younger and hard up again like we were in the eighties I wouldve persisted though but the drop in Round Up price made it less attractive.

Malter

It is not an idea, it is proven fact, humid air is less dense than dry air.

Jogee

It takes less energy for an object to be pushed thru humid air than dry air. So 10 mph wind will push your mist farther in humid air than dry air.

options":sdadgo3i said:
Jogee

It takes less energy for an object to be pushed thru humid air than dry air. So 10 mph wind will push your mist farther in humid air than dry air.

That seems contrary to what you might think but I guess you are right being the molecular mass of water is less than that of air. Never thought of it that way. We seem to always have humid conditions unless its a sure enough drought. Any idea on what pecentage this would increase the pattern say for a 10% increase in humidity? I guess what I'm asking is it really significant? Just interested.

Jogee

I can't say how much it will change pattern I just know it does.

options":2qhwmzog said:
Malter

It is not an idea, it is proven fact, humid air is less dense than dry air.

That is a crazy idea but correct so Ive learnt something.Wikipedia confirms it but is still seems illogical until one considers the molecular weights of air and water.

After a bit more research Ive found an easier to understand way of explaing the density of humid air than molecular weights.
In the atmosphere an area of low pressure contains more moisture and hence is less dense than an area of high pressure which is usually drier with less humidity.

Latest posts